Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/14/2024 6:20:55 AM EDT
I am considering purchasing an M&P 2.0 Compact.  As my eyes aren't what they used to be, I was considering swapping out the factory sights for something more visible, though I don't know what yet.  I currently have a Glock 19, which really irritates my trigger finger these days.

I understand that the sights are pretty hard to remove with a punch, but... I have one of the Glock rear sight pushers, and was wondering if anyone had ever used one of those to remove the rear sight on the M&Ps?  
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 7:28:53 AM EDT
[#1]
I have used the sight-tool.com branded pusher on mine (bought on ebay, its been fantastic). It does take a good bit of torque to get that rear sight moving.  Getting the front sight on is also a PITA. Make sure you have something to sand the sights down a bit to make them fit better.
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 8:10:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Slingblade2006] [#2]
6-inch vise with aluminum pads covering the jaws and brass punch will make short work of removing any pistol sights.  I have replaced my Shield 45 and M&P 45f sights.  Hi Viz makes some great M&P sights that require almost no fitting.  When fitting new sights get it about 1/4 of the way in the dovetail when it gets tight and then drift it home.  I use a sharpening stone to fit the bottom of the sights if needed.  

Dawson Precision has some great YT videos on how to install sights with a vise.  They also sell M&P sights and tools.

Below is a the HiViz Litewave installed on my Shield 45.  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 8:15:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: spectre3] [#3]
I have a cheap sight pusher I bought off ebay almost 15 years ago that's worked just fine for every type of handgun I've ever used it on. Kahr, S&W, Glock, Walther, Sig, etc. It came with different blocks to fit different width slides. I put masking tape on all the surfaces that made contact with the slide/sights.

Contrary to what you've been told, it's not that difficult to use a brass punch and hammer to remove/install sights... just make sure you remember to take the set screw out of the rear sight first. I put a decent gouge in the slide of a 1.0 m&p when I was new to all this stuff by not taking that screw out.

Also, given the reason for wanting new sights, have you considered a red dot? Yes it's more expensive, but for most people, especially those with eye issues, only having to concentrate on one focal plain is much easier. Even if you shoot target focused with iron sights like I do, a red dot is still easier.
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 8:29:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By spectre3:
I have a cheap sight pusher I bought off ebay almost 15 years ago that's worked just fine for every type of handgun I've ever used it on. Kahr, S&W, Glock, Walther, Sig, etc. It came with different blocks to fit different width slides. I put masking tape on all the surfaces that made contact with the slide/sights.

Contrary to what you've been told, it's not that difficult to use a brass punch and hammer to remove/install sights... just make sure you remember to take the set screw out of the rear sight first. I put a decent gouge in the slide of a 1.0 m&p when I was new to all this stuff by not taking that screw out.

Also, given the reason for wanting new sights, have you considered a red dot? Yes it's more expensive, but for most people, especially those with eye issues, only having to concentrate on one focal plain is much easier. Even if you shoot target focused with iron sights like I do, a red dot is still easier.
View Quote

I have considered a red dot.  I am only a casual shooter, don't carry, don't really want to spend a case of ammo + a bunch of money on a decent dot sight, nor the time involved in getting good with them.  I use them on my rifles though.

My vision is not that bad, can still get reasonable groups (3" or so) at 10 yards, which is good enough for me.

As for using a vise to hold the gun while working on the rear sight, while I do have a vise, I don't have a sturdy enough table/bench to mount it on, etc.  I even tried mounting to a big piece of 2x10" board, but it moves around too much.
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 8:58:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Slingblade2006] [#5]
Originally Posted By billclo:

I have considered a red dot.  I am only a casual shooter, don't carry, don't really want to spend a case of ammo + a bunch of money on a decent dot sight, nor the time involved in getting good with them.  I use them on my rifles though.

My vision is not that bad, can still get reasonable groups (3" or so) at 10 yards, which is good enough for me.

As for using a vise to hold the gun while working on the rear sight, while I do have a vise, I don't have a sturdy enough table/bench to mount it on, etc.  I even tried mounting to a big piece of 2x10" board, but it moves around too much.
View Quote

I built this workbench in my basement and screwed the backside into an interior wall.  I then put the vise on on corner over the leg.  It can support an AR and my fat butt removing stubborn barrel nuts.  You could probably rig up something smaller for your vise.  One anchor point in the wall and have the vise on top of something solid going to the floor.  
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/14/2024 8:59:58 AM EDT
[#6]
I'll beat on sights with a punch all day long until I get them in, but I paid a gunsmith to install my M&P night sights.
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 4:19:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GrandmasterB] [#7]
I've used the NCStar / VISM universal sight pusher tool to remove and install M&P sights with good results.
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 5:12:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By GrandmasterB:
I've used the NCStar / VISM universal sight pusher tool to remove and install M&P sights with good results.
View Quote
I second this. Works well.
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 9:20:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By laxman09:
I have used the sight-tool.com branded pusher on mine (bought on ebay, its been fantastic). It does take a good bit of torque to get that rear sight moving.  Getting the front sight on is also a PITA. Make sure you have something to sand the sights down a bit to make them fit better.
View Quote

I use that one as well, and it's great.  I don't think it's available anymore, but there are some near copies out there in eBay.

That rear sight is a real bitch to get out with just a punch.
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 10:10:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By DrJekell:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DrJekell:
Originally Posted By GrandmasterB:

Third this.

Almost no effort to drift sights in and out.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 12:03:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AeroEngineer] [#11]
I’ve swapped fights on numerous M&P pistols.

A visewith non marring jaws, punches and hammers is all I use.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 1:07:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Just remember that the striker block spring is under the rear sight. Be ready to capture that spring as the sight clears it or it may launch itself across the room. Something like a popsicle stick is useful for getting it back in.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 6:43:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Tiribulus:
Just remember that the striker block spring is under the rear sight. Be ready to capture that spring as the sight clears it or it may launch itself across the room. Something like a popsicle stick is useful for getting it back in.
View Quote

Ah I didn't know that.  Good to know, thanks.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 8:05:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Sight Pusher is 100% the way to go.

Remember to loosen - remove the rear sight retaining allen screw BEFORE you try to remove old sight, or install new one.

As mentioned - there is a spring loaded plunger under the rear sight, be prepared to capture it or it WILL launch across the room to never be found in your shaggy carpet ever again (please don't ask me how I know ).  

When you reassemble the rear sight, use a small tool to depress the spring while you move the rear sight back over the hole to retain it. (this alone is why using a sight pusher is "the right way" to do M&P sights unless you have 4 hands).

Don't file much / any off of the front sight base - otherwise it will be loose in the front sight channel and that is "not good" (again please don't ask me how I know )

If you have an inexpensive (or better yet expensive) micrometer calipers, you can use them to center the sights.   Alternatively, you can make pencil marks on the slide showing where the old sights were set so you can move the new sights back to that same location (be careful not to erase them off with your fingers while working on the slide).

Good Luck & Good Shooting!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top