Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/7/2023 10:35:05 AM EDT
I just finished reading up about fully stripping and cleaning a P229. The author discussed using mineral oil to coat the internals that didn't require actual lube.

He said to lightly coat with mineral oil. He also mentioned that it is used as a base for many popular gun lubes (I didn't know this).

I recently picked up a new to me gun and was going to tear it down and clean.

I normally just use clp for this.  Any opinions or am I overthinking again?
Link Posted: 10/7/2023 10:40:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Steamedliver] [#1]
Use baby oil, at least it’ll be fragrant.

With so many options, I would use mineral oil if that’s the last oil I had available to me for my guns.
Link Posted: 10/7/2023 10:56:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks. That was what I was thinking. It just seems weird I'm seeing this lately pop up in quite a few discussions.  I thought I missed the memo.
Link Posted: 10/7/2023 11:24:40 AM EDT
[#3]
BALLISTOL is mostly Mineral oil

Link Posted: 10/7/2023 11:41:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: M4BlackRifle] [#4]
Bacon grease also would work, but CLP is made precisely for that usage.    Just because somebody makes a video, doesn't mean you should try the same thing.

Mineral oil is a colorless, oily, almost tasteless, water-insoluble liquid. It's found in cosmetics, carrier oils, and lubricant laxatives. Its uses include moisturizing the skin, treating dandruff, cracked feet, mild eczema, removing earwax, and relieving constipation.
Link Posted: 10/7/2023 2:22:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Colt653:

View Quote

Non toxic and it works stupid well
Link Posted: 10/7/2023 8:35:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Go with your CLP.
Link Posted: 10/10/2023 8:43:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By BigPolska:

Non toxic and it works stupid well
View Quote

I'm going to have to give Ballistol a try.

BTW, love the avatar.
Link Posted: 10/10/2023 9:17:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Colt653:

View Quote

So is baby oil.
Link Posted: 10/10/2023 7:41:21 PM EDT
[#9]
A mineral oil compound is what many gun makers are applying to prevent rust of guns during shipping.
It has to be removed before use because it tends to get sticky when mixed with fouling.

A better product is CLP Breakfree, or possibly even better is Breakfree Collector.  It's "LP" without the "C" solvent component.
It's thicker and specifically made to protect stored guns.

To prevent rusting of internal parts I apply a few drops of CLP to a soft toothbrush and "scrub" all internal surfaces.
This leaves a very thin coat of CLP to protect.  
I then use whatever lubricant needed to actually lube parts.
Link Posted: 10/11/2023 6:59:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Cooper1] [#10]
Originally Posted By dfariswheel:
To prevent rusting of internal parts I apply a few drops of CLP to a soft toothbrush and "scrub" all internal surfaces.
This leaves a very thin coat of CLP to protect.  
I then use whatever lubricant needed to actually lube parts.
View Quote

This is what I was wondering. Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/11/2023 7:27:50 PM EDT
[#11]
As others have pointed out mineral oil is the main ingredient in Ballistol and it works great.   The only real downside to Ballistol is that the smell is a bit ... awful.  I put up with the smell because it works great and won't give me cancer unlike many other cleaners.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 10:59:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Just use CLP, or whatever gun oil you already have. Unless it's Militec-1. A number of gun oils are just mineral oil, maybe with a scent, or at most some additives. But some are just plain mineral oil. Like Hoppes #9 "classic." There's nothing listed in it's SDS other than mineral oil.
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 10:50:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Militec-1, tell me about it.  I've used the grease extensively in the past.
Link Posted: 12/23/2023 2:40:03 PM EDT
[#14]
I have very good luck with finshline bicycle chain spray on lube
Goes on thin and the carrier evaporates fast and leaves a thin film of high tech lube
It is good because it will not run and sling off a slide and get onto your glasses

Link

The 8oz spray is the one I buy
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 10:01:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By M4BlackRifle:
Bacon grease also would work, but CLP is made precisely for that usage.    Just because somebody makes a video, doesn't mean you should try the same thing.

Mineral oil is a colorless, oily, almost tasteless, water-insoluble liquid. It's found in cosmetics, carrier oils, and lubricant laxatives. Its uses include moisturizing the skin, treating dandruff, cracked feet, mild eczema, removing earwax, and relieving constipation.
View Quote

Bacon grease ??  do you know how much salt is in Bacon grease ?   at least you redeemed yourself with the CLP recommendation.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 1:35:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By 1MRBEAN:

Bacon grease ??  do you know how much salt is in Bacon grease ?   at least you redeemed yourself with the CLP recommendation.
View Quote

Bacon grease will indeed work, especially in warm temperatures.  The salt won’t harm the tribological properties of the bacon grease.  I do recommend a thorough cleaning as soon as possible, though.  Then lube with something more appropriate.  CLP is a good choice.  There are others as well.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 8:16:58 PM EDT
[#17]
I use mineral oil on the inside/outside of anything that sits in the safe for long periods.

I use it as lube/rust prevention on the internals of handguns.

I don't use it on the BCG of ARs where there is a good deal of heat. Although it would probably work.

Mineral oil is like $4 a gallon... cheap anyway.

All oils will collect dust/crud.

It also keeps your hands smooth.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top