Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/30/2024 10:54:41 PM EDT
I’ve not seen this discussed, but does it create confusion to the eyes to switch back and forth between RDS pistols and night sight or fiber optic pistols?
Thinking about sending off a pistol to get milled for an optic…, never shot one before but would like to give it a run.
I usually make an effort to keep things common between pistols, such as; everything with a thumb safety, da/sa hammer fired vs striker, etc., for, you know, muscle memory.
Do the eyes make the transition between the two types naturally and adjust, or just train thru it and make it second nature?
Thanks
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 1:21:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Depends on the person.

I'm issued a gun with a Trijicon RMR06.

Off duty, I carry a similar gun with an RMR06.
Or a gun with iron 3 dot sights.
Or a gun with a Holosun 407k optic.
Or a gun with tritium sights.
Or a gun with a front tritium sight.

etc etc.

no issues.
shoot all the time switching between them.  My eye doesn't look for a dot if there's no dot.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 7:07:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Not a problem.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 5:44:43 PM EDT
[#3]
It's not a problem for me, but I just recently became a dot person.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 9:22:09 PM EDT
[#4]
I went to a dot because I can’t see the sights anymore, but I do shoot irons perhaps better because my presentation is better.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 9:38:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Training with RDS has greatly improved my skill with irons.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 8:13:24 AM EDT
[#6]
My goal is to be competent with any firearm I pick up/carry.
Striker no safety, striker w/safety, 1911, DA/SA, even a S&W 4th GEN with up off safety.
I have two optic guns in my rotation.

I took a class at SIG about ten years ago. A SF guy was in the class, and he was shooting “range guns”/226 non-DAK (irons), an AR with an older SIG RDO. I asked him why and he said he wanted to be able to pick up any gun and shoot it competently no matter the gun or sighting system.
That changed my outlook on gun rotation.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 10:40:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top