Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/17/2024 7:13:06 PM EDT
If I acquire an older model 65-5 Smith .357,  does anybody know if I can  send it in to Smith n Wesson
and have a new front sight w / the orange insert ?
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 9:27:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Dab of paint would be easier and quicker.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 10:11:00 AM EDT
[#2]
White nail polish followed by the color of your choice. I prefer something called "Siren Red".  It's 99 cents a bottle.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 8:22:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Any competent gunsmith can install a colored insert in the front sight.
If you have moderate skills you can do it yourself by casting in an insert with acrylic fingernail material, or by cutting a plastic insert.

I'm sure S&W would do it, but shipping charges are very expensive.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 3:37:05 PM EDT
[#4]

Considering the gun is a fixed sight gun and the front sight is integral to the barrel. One would need the front sight milled off and have the barrel recut for a standard sight blade. Just about anything can be done if you throw enough money at it. Painting it would be cheaper, but having it cut would look a lot better. You would probably be better off having it dovetailed and have the sight blank cut to your spec. Keep in mind these are fixed sighted gun so you would be limited on sight height.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 1:17:41 PM EDT
[#5]
^^^Exactly. I don't think it would be cost effective and the problem arises of finding someone being able to do the job. I have just used red model paint to paint the front sight blade.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 3:33:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks all . I wasn’t sure if it was fixed or not .

I think I prob still want one .  The triggers are awesome . And put the right grips on it .
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 6:10:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Having the top strap milled for a dovetail 1911 sight is pretty common and not ridiculously expensive. Check Throne Arms for pricing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top