Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Colt
Site Notices
Posted: 5/17/2023 9:13:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bow42]
Not sure if this is the right forum and these are the only pics I have at the moment (I'll see him Saturday).  My brother-in-law asked me about this revolver but I don't know anything about it.  Thought maybe you guys would be able to identify it.

Edit:  he just asked me about getting it restored.  Good or bad idea?

Edit 2:  more pics added

Link Posted: 5/17/2023 9:40:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Turnbull can do the restoration for a price.  Is it a Colt, or a reproduction?
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 10:07:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Need a lot more pictures / information to be sure but appears to be a black powder era colt.
The loading gate number not matching is NORMAL
does the frame serial number in front of the trigger guard match the grip strap number? What about the cylinder and barrel serial number?
( to see the barrel serial number often requires removal of the ejector rod housing)

If all matching and functional “restoration “ is a VERY BAD IDEA  
Outside of a high end place like turnbull which charges several thousand bucks for a first class restoration, anything less than that GREATLY decreases the value of the gun

Without more info ( like caliber which can make a huge difference - they made these in about 30 calibers with some rare ones just a few of each) as it sits if matching and functional it is about a 3 thousand dollar gun.

If improperly “restored “ - with very few shops able to do it right - drop value 60% after work done.

More pictures please!
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 7:46:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Never heard anyone say that a restoration could be a good thing. Especially in a gun in that condition. That condition ain't bad from what I can see.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 7:48:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dfariswheel] [#4]
If the frame serial number is 75182, it's an 1882.

To get about all the info possible, you can post the photos on the Colt forum for the real experts to look at.
You can also buy a Colt Archive letter that will give everything Colt knows about what configuration and caliber it was shipped in and who it was shipped to.........

https://www.coltforum.com/forums/forum.php

https://www.colt.com/page/archive-services
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 9:16:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By dfariswheel:
If the frame serial number is 75182, it's an 1882.

To get about all the info possible, you can post the photos on the Colt forum for the real experts to look at.
You can also buy a Colt Archive letter that will give everything Colt knows about what configuration and caliber it was shipped in and who it was shipped to.........

https://www.coltforum.com/forums/forum.php

https://www.colt.com/page/archive-services
View Quote

Thank you!
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 9:16:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By captain127:
Need a lot more pictures / information to be sure but appears to be a black powder era colt.
The loading gate number not matching is NORMAL
does the frame serial number in front of the trigger guard match the grip strap number? What about the cylinder and barrel serial number?
( to see the barrel serial number often requires removal of the ejector rod housing)

If all matching and functional “restoration “ is a VERY BAD IDEA  
Outside of a high end place like turnbull which charges several thousand bucks for a first class restoration, anything less than that GREATLY decreases the value of the gun

Without more info ( like caliber which can make a huge difference - they made these in about 30 calibers with some rare ones just a few of each) as it sits if matching and functional it is about a 3 thousand dollar gun.

If improperly “restored “ - with very few shops able to do it right - drop value 60% after work done.

More pictures please!
View Quote

Will post more pictures this weekend.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 7:46:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bow42] [#7]
More pics added

@captain127
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 3:09:23 AM EDT
[#8]
With the exception can’t see the cylinder or barrel serial number, I would say it is a safe bet it is all matching. Caliber? From the looks of bore diameter, just a guess it is a 45. Again if fully functional a $3000 dollar gun or so as it sits.

Just so you know, the proper way to handle a SAA is if you bring it to half cock, do NOT HALFWAY FULL COCK IT AND LOWER THE HAMMER. BRNING IT TO FULL COCK THEN. LOWER IT. This decreases wear on the ylinder and lock parts.

If you decide to shoot it, best and safest route is handload with black powder. Make sure the bullet is seated enough to compress the powder charge
If you don’t hand load and still want to shoot it, light “cowboy loads would likely be OK, just keep in mind these guns were not proofed for smokeless powder until about 1905 or so.
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 9:25:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Hi,

Don't do anything to it!  Contact Colt Archives, get a letter for it.  My buddy bought a used Colt from a LGS.  He paid like 1200.00 for it.  Got the Colt Letter for it and it turned out to be sent to Pawnee Bill, Buffalo Bill Cody's best friend.  Raised the value immensely. (I think he sold it for $20,000.00)

Get the letter and then go to the Coltforum and ask your questions there.  They will give you expert advice.  Good Luck

Side note:
I bought an old Colt 1878 SXS 12-gauge shotgun for $300.00 in 2005.  The seller didn't want to deal with black powder.  I got a Colt letter stating it was one of 141 guns called "The Club Gun".  Raised the value immensely.  I even used it to compete in SASS shoots, using Goex
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 11:50:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mlg123] [#10]
deleted, misinformation
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 4:42:34 PM EDT
[#11]
I have owned several first generation guns and all had serialized cylinders, and the barrels were also serialized to the frame ( as previously mentioned the barrel serial number is hidden under the ejector rod housing. )
My cylinders were a mixed bag, some serialized around the edge of the rear face ( like the old S&W’s) and some the last 4 digits of the serial on the the side of the cylinder.

And I agree ideally if you want to shoot it, use black powder loads, even with super light cowboy loads there is a risk to damaging the gun, as the cylinders were not designed to manage the pressure curve of smokeless powder which didn’t exist at the time this particular revolver was made.

A colt letter is a valid idea, just bear in mind it may show connection to someone or something famous but most like will show shipment too. Some big hardware store chain of the era like Simmons or even sears roebuck
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 6:19:05 PM EDT
[#12]
I have owned several first generation guns and all had serialized cylinders, and the barrels were also serialized to the frame ( as previously mentioned the barrel serial number is hidden under the ejector rod housing.)
View Quote

Someone is going to have to show me.  I have 8 1st gen 1873s (mix of SAA & Bisley) and 1 2nd gen, none have a serial hidden under the ejector (I looked before typing this).  The 38WCFs and 41 Colts all have the 41 under the bbl, but no serials on any of the bbls or cylinders.
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 10:09:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bow42] [#13]
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 4:46:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mlg123] [#14]

Thank you, I was unaware that gov contract pistols had a serial on the bbl/cyl.  All of the ones I have ever had have been post BP frame and no mil contracts.

I apologize for the mis-information in my post.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 9:37:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By mlg123:

Thank you, I was unaware that gov contract pistols had a serial on the bbl/cyl.  All of the ones I have ever had have been post BP frame and no mil contracts.

I apologize for the mis-information in my post.
View Quote

No worries!  I'm learning as I go here.  I appreciate all you guy's help!
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 1:48:35 AM EDT
[#16]
As mentioned the first gens I did have were military guns ( so called artillery models) that had the serialized cylinder and barrel. I didn’t know civilian guns were not similarly marked, so a mistake on my part as well.
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 9:48:05 PM EDT
[#17]
With the exception can’t see the cylinder or barrel serial number, I would say it is a safe bet it is all matching.
View Quote

Loading gate has a completely different S/N from what I saw.
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 12:38:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By USPguy:

Loading gate has a completely different S/N from what I saw.
View Quote

Loading gate number is an assembly number and is not related to the serial number on a SAA so normal for these.
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 8:36:28 AM EDT
[#19]

Loading gate number is an assembly number and is not related to the serial number on a SAA so normal for these.
View Quote

Ah, did not know that. Thanks!
Page Handguns » Colt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top