Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/6/2024 8:45:46 PM EDT
Just got a new 686 plus 7 shot from PSA. I’ve been looking at getting myself a nice stainless 357 revolver.  Took it out today, first time, the first cylinder full was 38 spl stuff, nothing hot at all.  Anyway, first three shots the trigger wouldn’t reset, stayed back after the hammer fell.  Primers were fine, it took some wiggling to get the cylinder open, but everything looked fine.  That alone concerns me.  It also shot about 3 feet to the left at 7 yards!  There are also very sharp edges at the mouth of the cylinders.  For a nearly $900 revolver i did expect a little nicer piece. Outside is very nice.

Send back to Smith?  Thoughts?

Indy
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 11:51:04 PM EDT
[#1]
It has to go back.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 11:59:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Do the needful.

Sadly this is getting all to common with revolver manufacturers that should have no problem putting out pretty much perfect firearms and any defective ones caught before they ever make it out the door.

I'm done buying new firearms for the most part, with all the high tech and QC gadgets out there now, one should expect perfection. It is NOT that intricate of a piece of machinery when compared to other things people buy every day that work out of the  box.

Of course dope smoking Milli vanilli's and Gen Z  employees that turn over every couple of weeks make for shitty anything. Cheap ass upper management just makes all the issues double down.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 10:01:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Malhass] [#3]
My brand new 340pd had the same issue. Sent back for repair and I have not test fired it yet . It sits in my safe . I may sell it . I own 2 642 . Also the 43c arrived to my ffl in non working condition. Not sure how did it pass QC ..unless they have blind people working at S&W . It was sent back for full refund. Both are recent purchases.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 10:28:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Funny you posted this.  I just dropped my new 686+ off at FedEx on Friday, back to Smith.  On one of the cylinders the hammer would hang and something would bind in the timing.  

Disappointing but email smith and they will send you a prepaid postage.  I  not going to mesh with a brand new $900 gun, rather have Smith deal with it.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 11:19:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Malhass] [#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ag04blast:
Funny you posted this.  I just dropped my new 686+ off at FedEx on Friday, back to Smith.  On one of the cylinders the hammer would hang and something would bind in the timing.  

Disappointing but email smith and they will send you a prepaid postage.  I  not going to mesh with a brand new $900 gun, rather have Smith deal with it.
View Quote

The 340pd already been repaired by S&W for the same issue you are experiencing with your 686+ . I still have a 640 pro and 686 2.5” non plus also purchased recently that I have not tested. Hopefully will be ok. .
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 12:20:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Prices are def up on revolvers and anecdotally I am hearing of a lot more issues with them then I used to.

I would be surprised by an issue with a $200 Ruger 22lr but when we are talking around $1k, it's kinda a joke.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 12:23:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: chase45] [#7]
I bought a new 686 lately and had to have the guy pull stock from the back until I found one that I felt was in time correctly

First range session I felt like I was running up against a stiff wall in double action

When I cleaned it a burr from the hand port popped out. Looked like a fine steel hair.

Guns been great after that though. But couldn't believe how many new smiths I handled that felt a little light on timing

I bought a 629 last year and the forcing cone looks awful. Like it was cut with a dull cutter. But dang thing shoots fantastic so I'm leaving it be
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 5:43:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By chase45:
I bought a new 686 lately and had to have the guy pull stock from the back until I found one that I felt was in time correctly

First range session I felt like I was running up against a stiff wall in double action

When I cleaned it a burr from the hand port popped out. Looked like a fine steel hair.

Guns been great after that though. But couldn't believe how many new smiths I handled that felt a little light on timing

I bought a 629 last year and the forcing cone looks awful. Like it was cut with a dull cutter. But dang thing shoots fantastic so I'm leaving it be
View Quote

I wish I could look through stock or even check one before I buy.  For me, I havent seen a 686+ in one of my local shops in years.  Add on that I was looking for a 3-5-7 5inch version with the unfluted cylinder which are even harder to come by.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 5:53:32 PM EDT
[#9]
There is a reason old very good/excellent condition revolvers go for the prices they do. A company needs SKILLED workers to properly make and assemble one and just having fancy machines isn't enough to send them out the door without issues.

I honestly don't think I have ever lost a penny on any older revolver I have ever sold and they have all sold quick to boot.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 7:22:56 PM EDT
[#10]

I wish I could look through stock or even check one before I buy.  For me, I havent seen a 686+ in one of my local shops in years.  Add on that I was looking for a 3-5-7 5inch version with the unfluted cylinder which are even harder to come by.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

That’s the one i bought (5” un-fluted 3-5-7 model). I looked everywhere locally, the only one I saw was a used 4” 686+ that was traded in the day before, it was gone the next day.  Maybe i should have bought that one, but it wasn’t exactly what I was looking for.

If my dad had bought a stainless Python instead of blued, i would probably be shooting that instead of a Smith.  I would hate to cerakote a nice Python

I started the return process with S&W, we shall see what happens.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 7:49:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Have a gunsmith check the cylinder gap.  Mine was too tight AND the barrel was not straight.   Local smith fixed it in 5 minutes and charged me $25.   Gun shoots amazing now
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 9:19:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By IndyGrendel63:

That’s the one i bought (5” un-fluted 3-5-7 model). I looked everywhere locally, the only one I saw was a used 4” 686+ that was traded in the day before, it was gone the next day.  Maybe i should have bought that one, but it wasn’t exactly what I was looking for.

If my dad had bought a stainless Python instead of blued, i would probably be shooting that instead of a Smith.  I would hate to cerakote a nice Python

View All Quotes

Even crazier that we had issues with the same model.  I wonder how many of those smith makes.  Mine was somewhat hard to get.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 10:24:58 PM EDT
[#13]

Even crazier that we had issues with the same model.  I wonder how many of those smith makes.  Mine was somewhat hard to get.
View All Quotes

PSA had them listed on their website for a month before I pulled the trigger so to speak. I checked right after I ordered it and it was out of stock, I must have snagged the last one.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 7:03:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Well, it should be on the way back to Smith today, hopefully it gets turned around quickly.

I didn’t measure the cylinder/barrel gap myself, but it sure looked really close. Maybe 0.001”.  I do have feeler gauges that go that low 😉
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 1:31:09 AM EDT
[#15]
My 686+ has burrs at the front of the cylinder like when you drill a hole through a piece of metal. I'm not happy but it functioned fine so I kept it.
Probably the last smith I'll ever buy. I looked at a 442 at a shop, after dry firing twice it locked up and had rust on the ejection rod. Brand new gun.

Funny how I bought 2 RIA .38s, the 2" and 4" and can find zero problems with those $200 guns. Bought a couple pietta 1873s also. Smooth as glass. No burrs anywhere.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 9:35:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bogdan] [#16]
Mine 686+ was filled with metal shavings and wouldnt function right.

Link Posted: 4/15/2024 10:05:02 AM EDT
[#17]
I got the email that S&W received mine back for repair, now I am just waiting.....
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 2:19:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Yeah I believe that gun would be going back, I had to send a 657 back years ago because of a issue with the sear.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top