Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/1/2024 11:13:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Lawman75]
Shot 24 rounds through my new 3” King Cobra. After the 24th round the action locked up. I could open the cylinder and unload but the action was locked up. Heard a rattling noise coming from the gun so I pulled the grips off and a piece of metal fell out of the gun. Looks like the end of a hook and the metal is obviously MIM. Calling Colt tomorrow, I’m sure they’ll take care of it because they always have. Anyone else had issues with their new King Cobra.
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 11:10:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Mine has been solid so far.
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 3:03:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Called Colt, and they’re taking care of it as I knew they would. Always had good luck with their customer service. Hopefully it won’t be gone too long and I hope this is my only issue with the gun. Shot lots of rounds through revolvers and this is the first time I’ve had one actually break. Had a squib load in my 686 once but thankfully I was paying attention and didn’t fire another round.
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 3:24:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Let us know what the name of the part is when you get it back.

Presumably, they would note it on the invoice...
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 7:31:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Have been looking at this and some other 3 inch revolvers for a few months… waiting for some good prices.

What were you shooting through it at the time?

Link Posted: 1/2/2024 7:35:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By XNARC:
Have been looking at this and some other 3 inch revolvers for a few months… waiting for some good prices.

What were you shooting through it at the time?

View Quote

Some random 38 specials from my ammo dump can. Nothing hot, was about to shoot some .357’s when it broke.
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 7:37:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Bet it's the cylinder pawl.
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 8:18:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Attachment Attached File

This was the piece that fell out.
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 8:51:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Ameshawki:
Mine has been solid so far.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/2/2024 9:39:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 9:42:20 PM EDT
[#10]
damn it does look like the ass end of the hammer. That's good that they are taking care of it..but damn.
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 9:55:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: fxntime] [#11]
Originally Posted By cccpNyC:
damn it does look like the ass end of the hammer. That's good that they are taking care of it..but damn.
View Quote

Sure does.

On SOME parts, MIM fvcking sucks.
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 10:33:31 PM EDT
[#12]

Damn, seems like there were a few broken guns in that thread. I had really high hopes for this gun. Now I’m not so sure, that thread was started almost 4 years ago and they don’t seem like they’ve resolved the issue. Was wanting a medium sized revolver for carry. All my other revolvers are older Smiths, I guess I’ll keep looking for an older 3” Smith. On a side note my Python is also going back for a delayed cylinder lock.
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 10:38:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Lawman75:

Damn, seems like there were a few broken guns in that thread. I had really high hopes for this gun. Now I’m not so sure, that thread was started almost 4 years ago and they don’t seem like they’ve resolved the issue. Was wanting a medium sized revolver for carry. All my other revolvers are older Smiths, I guess I’ll keep looking for an older 3” Smith. On a side note my Python is also going back for a delayed cylinder lock.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

My favorite shooting carry revolver.

Attachment Attached File

Size compared to a standard frame snub.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/3/2024 9:34:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Seven-Shooter] [#14]
That's a bummer, I was considering getting one.

I guess I'll stick with my 3" Kimber K6S, which is slightly lighter than the Cobra, and has better sights to boot; maybe it's an alternative you should look into:

But the King Cobra is a gorgeous revolver.
Link Posted: 1/4/2024 1:31:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Got my return authorization yesterday and got everything shipped off this morning. Hopefully it won’t be gone long. I do think it’s interesting that on the paperwork in the email they listed broken hammer, I only told them the action is locked up and a piece fell out, we never discussed the hammer specifically. Makes me wonder if this has been a big issue with these.
Link Posted: 1/4/2024 3:15:02 PM EDT
[#16]
It's MIM, totally wrong metal manf for pieces that are used to strike other things. Doesn't mean MIM is bad in general, just that it can be more brittle and porous then other manf  means.
Link Posted: 1/4/2024 5:33:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 80sgyrene] [#17]
Same thing happened to mine about a year ago. I asked for the part so I wouldn’t have to ship it back, but was denied.
They fixed it in about a month.
Colt CS was a pleasure to deal with, but this is a known problem. They should replace all these with forged parts.
https://www.ar15.com/forums/Handguns/How-is-the-quality-of-the-new-Colt-revolvers-/28-207357/
Link Posted: 1/4/2024 6:48:27 PM EDT
[#18]
I saw one in the EE, and a good price! I’m going to guess that there is no aftermarket upgrade for that hammer
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 1:07:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Looks like an incredibly weak design , should have kept it a coil spring like the original King Cobra.
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 1:12:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By roadrash:
Looks like an incredibly weak design , should have kept it a coil spring like the original King Cobra.
View Quote

Manufactured out of the right material and using a different process then MIM, it would likely be perfectly fine and plenty strong.
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 1:14:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: roadrash] [#21]
But its not and never will be.
The original KC hammers were made out of pot metal also and were absolutely fine with the coil spring.
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 1:18:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By roadrash:
But its not and never will be.
View Quote

Colt has, in the past, tried MIM on certain parts that ended up with a poor reliability record or failure point and replaced them with a different type of manufacturing or went back to the tried and true method. MIM extractors on the 1911s was a big one. it was 100% the wrong process for the way the part works. Other manufacturers insisted on not changing back from MIM on certain models and had that failure point for a hell of a long time.

If a part is struck, jarred, or designed to flex, I believe MIM is a horrible manufacturing process. For other parts, I don't see any issues.
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 1:25:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Going to a more expensive forged part is probably the only fix at this stage of the game,I was just making the point that its a weak design vs the original design that did not require a forged part.
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 9:36:03 AM EDT
[#24]
I wonder how much cost is saved by MIM parts? A dollar each? Maybe two? also how much a repair costs? Something like $60-$80 shipping, bench time, cost of a replacement part multiplied by how many guns go back yearly?

Then there's reputation to consider, or maybe not :-)

Link Posted: 1/10/2024 12:21:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By gnappi:
I wonder how much cost is saved by MIM parts? A dollar each? Maybe two? also how much a repair costs? Something like $60-$80 shipping, bench time, cost of a replacement part multiplied by how many guns go back yearly?

Then there's reputation to consider, or maybe not :-)

View Quote

I was thinking the same thing. I was going to use this as a carry gun but I won’t now. I don’t have a problem with mim if used for the right part. As stated earlier by other members I don’t think the way this hammer is designed is a good application for mim. I am going to shoot the crap out of it and see how many times it breaks. Hopefully it won’t ever break but I’m not confident it won’t.
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 9:38:05 AM EDT
[#26]
My King Cobra Target 22 has what looks like the same MIM hammer.  Python and Anaconda hammers are polished though, are they not MIM?    My Night Cobra doesn't look like MIM either.
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 12:22:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Gullskjegg:
My King Cobra Target 22 has what looks like the same MIM hammer.  Python and Anaconda hammers are polished though, are they not MIM?    My Night Cobra doesn't look like MIM either.
View Quote

Not sure about the Python. I’ve had a 4” Python for about a year but it’s just a range toy. It also had to go back because the bolt(what colt calls it) wasn’t always clicking into place after a trigger reset.
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 3:04:10 PM EDT
[#28]

Not sure about the Python. I’ve had a 4” Python for about a year but it’s just a range toy. It also had to go back because the bolt(what colt calls it) wasn’t always clicking into place after a trigger reset.
View Quote

My Python is on it's way back for the second time.  The first time the action would occasionally lock up halfway through a trigger or hammer pull, letting off and re-pulling cleared it, or helping the cylinder ever so slightly.  Then it had light primer strikes and I could hear something rattling inside (possibly broken hammer).   Now it's on it's way back for the action still locking up that they didn't fix the first time.
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 7:31:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Got an email saying my king cobra is on the way back. No news on my Python. They fixed two things on my king cobra. Below is a screen shot of the repair statement. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 12:00:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Sorry everyone is having bad luck. Colt has never been my favorite company but I've been real happy with their new revolvers so far. I know I'm a small sample though.

I owned a 4" Python for a bit and out about 2k rounds with it. No issues other than that rear sight.

I still own a King Cobra 3". It has been a carry gun for a couple of years. I've got around 2k rounds downrange with it and more dry fire time. I have no complaints with it either.

The KC may get sold but only because I got a Glock 48 which does everything a little better for me. I'm hesitant though as the KC has been quite good.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 8:20:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Got the gun back yesterday. The trigger seems lighter than before. Looks like they cleaned it also. I put some snap caps in the cylinder and have been dry firing it. I’ll get it to the range this weekend and see if can put more than 24 rounds through it.
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 8:54:16 AM EDT
[#32]
Well I almost made it to 50 rounds with it this weekend. On the eighth cylinder the action locked up. I was able to cock it in single action and fire it but I noticed the trigger reset only had two clicks instead of three.  It got worse after that, got one more round off in double action and the trigger stayed back. I was finally able to get the trigger to reset and get the cylinder open to unload. Ammo was factory .38 special, never made it to the .357 I brought. Guess it’s going back to colt again. Contemplating selling it when it comes back. This gun has been at Colt more than my house since I bought it. So disappointing.
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 9:05:54 AM EDT
[#33]
Well I almost made it to 50 rounds with it this weekend. On the eighth cylinder the action locked up. I was able to cock it in single action and fire it but I noticed the trigger reset only had two clicks instead of three.  It got worse after that, got one more round off in double action and the trigger stayed back. I was finally able to get the trigger to reset and get the cylinder open to unload. Ammo was factory .38 special, never made it to the .357 I brought. Guess it’s going back to colt again. Contemplating selling it when it comes back. This gun has been at Colt more than my house since I bought it. So disappointing.
View Quote

Sorry to hear that.  Sounds like something else is going on, out of spec or something putting the internals in a bit of a bind.  Or this second issue is just due to incompetence by the smith.
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 1:45:20 PM EDT
[#34]
That’s bad luck
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 2:34:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: thebert] [#35]
Damn that sucks. I have a KC on my want list, but maybe not.
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 3:41:01 PM EDT
[#36]
That is unfortunate to hear. I had hopes of getting one myself but it does not exude confidence with those issues.
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 4:10:15 PM EDT
[#37]
This thread is killing my confidence in it.

Had just put a Wilson Combat adjustable rear on it, too.
Link Posted: 2/7/2024 3:24:45 PM EDT
[#38]
Got my RMA from Colt. The customer service reps name was Eric and he was very apologetic and helpful. I’ll send it off tomorrow and let the wait begin, again. He did inform me that my Python should be on its way back by the end of the week so some good news.
Link Posted: 2/7/2024 3:38:59 PM EDT
[#39]
Got my RMA from Colt. The customer service reps name was Eric and he was very apologetic and helpful. I’ll send it off tomorrow and let the wait begin, again. He did inform me that my Python should be on its way back by the end of the week so some good news.
View Quote

Eric is who I've talked to, nice guy.

Hope your Python is good to go, how long have they had it?
Link Posted: 2/7/2024 4:53:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Lawman75] [#40]
Originally Posted By Gullskjegg:

Eric is who I've talked to, nice guy.

Hope your Python is good to go, how long have they had it?
View Quote

I’ve had it about a year. Probably has about 500 rounds through it. Most of them .38 but I’ve shot .357 through it a few times. Great gun but I noticed, what Colt calls the bolt, wouldn’t click into place on the cylinder about half the time. My friend has a 3” python and his doesn’t have that issue so I thought I’d get it checked out. Edit(reading comprehension is a thing).  Colt has had it for a month.
Link Posted: 2/16/2024 1:40:37 PM EDT
[#41]
Damn.  That sucks.  I’ve got a safe full of old Smiths with some Colts in the mix.  I’ve looked and fondled the new Pythons repeatedly and always found something I like better.  I want Colt in the game though because more choices and competition is better.  Spending the kind of money required for the new Colt wheel guns I’d expect a better experience than that.  Good luck to you.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 12:52:50 PM EDT
[#42]
I’m glad I saw this thread. I’ve been contemplating buying a new Anaconda. Will go S&W instead I think.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 2:06:40 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By BlackRifle76:
I’m glad I saw this thread. I’ve been contemplating buying a new Anaconda. Will go S&W instead I think.
View Quote

I love my Anaconda, this just seems to be an mim King Cobra issue.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 2:11:28 PM EDT
[#44]
That hammer looks like the one on the RG revolver I have.

Link Posted: 2/23/2024 1:15:33 PM EDT
[#45]
Still no updates on my King Cobra. I did get my Python back last week. The invoice said the trigger needed adjustment. It seems good to go, I plan on going to shoot it this weekend.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 9:37:32 PM EDT
[#46]
Got the King Cobra back today, seems everything is working as it should. The repair invoice said the transfer bar was adjusted. I will get it to the range as soon as I can and see if I can shoot more than 50 rounds.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 7:16:08 AM EDT
[#47]
Got the King Cobra back today, seems everything is working as it should. The repair invoice said the transfer bar was adjusted. I will get it to the range as soon as I can and see if I can shoot more than 50 rounds.
View Quote

Good.  Hope they got it fixed for you.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 9:59:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ncwellman65] [#48]
Had to send my King Cobra back three times for the broken mim hammer. They sent me a new gun the third time. The new gun lasted 9 rounds before it broke. They refunded my money and I bought a S&W model 66 that works fine. Colt knows this is an issue but wont put a forged hammer in the KC. It's not if but when it will fail. I really wanted to like the KC but it just wasn't meant to be.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 6:36:46 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Ncwellman65:
Had to send my King Cobra back three times for the broken mim hammer. They sent me a new gun the third time. The new gun lasted 9 rounds before it broke. They refunded my money and I bought a S&W model 66 that works fine. Colt knows this is an issue but wont put a forged hammer in the KC. It's not if but when it will fail. I really wanted to like the KC but it just wasn't meant to be.
View Quote

I don't like MIM for items that strike another item, but MIM, IF done right, isn't horrible. It's just it's never going to be as good as a forged or properly hardened bar stock item. However, it's MUCH cheaper to make once the mold costs are covered.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 5:39:28 PM EDT
[#50]
View Quote

Any update ?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top