Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/8/2023 10:40:57 AM EDT
It seems that on this forum there's a love/hate thing about Kimber products, maybe deserved and maybe not, but I decided to get a new Kimber product just introduced, the KDS9C. First of all it's a beautiful handgun to look at. The stainless slide and the Kim Pro silver aluminum frame really look classy combined with the black/gray G10 grips with the unusual Crosshatch pattern.

I think Kimber really targeted the Wilson Combat EDC X9 4" barrel because just about every dimension is almost exactly the same on both. I'm not going to say the Kimber is as good as the WC, but at less than half the price it is surprising good and well worth it IMO.  The Kimber feels great in the hand and is a pleasure to shoot. The trigger is your typical 1911 style trigger with a short take up, a slight bit of creep before you get to the wall, and then a relatively crisp break.  The reset is short and felt as well as heard.  It's not what I would call a great trigger, but it is definitely a very good trigger that is very shootable. It breaks at a very consistent 3 lb 15 oz average of 5 pulls of my digital trigger gauge.

The Kimber double stack magazines hold 15 rounds and have the typical 1911 style controls. The left side safety has very positive clicks both on and off. One thing I wasn't a fan of was the rear sight. It is attached to the slide by two screws from the underside and is fixed in position. Windage is adjusted by drifting the front sight while the rear sight is elevation adjustable. It has a locking set screw on top and it's elevation is adjusted by a screw on the side. IMO not the best design, but it does the job. When you remove the optic plate cover, you can mount a red dot using optic plates which Kimber will offer shortly.

On it's first trip to the range, I started off with 50 rounds of Winchester NATO 124 grain to loosen it up and then followed with another 170 rounds of 115 gr Blazer Brass. The little Kimber handled them all without a single hint of a hiccup and was extremely accurate to boot.
All in all the Kimber has been a great little pistol. It needs a few more rounds through it to prove itself, but so far it's been perfect.

https://i.imgur.com/LTItIYt.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/ynVMDo4.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/yIFX7ce.jpg

Link Posted: 8/8/2023 10:48:01 AM EDT
[#1]
I saw an advertisement in Kimba's mailer. Like the concept but the price is pretty steep. Haven't looked into details but is it more of a Para style double stack 1911 (with external extractor) or how far is it 1911 style at all in regard to mechanics?
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 11:40:55 AM EDT
[#2]
It's pretty much standard 1911 fare with a few differences like the external extractor, a bushing less bull barrel, and no grip safety.

As far as price I paid less than $1300 for mine delivered to my FFL.  IMO that's fairly reasonable for a 2011 style double stack, considering it somewhat copies the WC EDC X9 that is in the $3500 range.
The WC is undoubtedly the better of the two, but for the price it should be.

2011 style pistols aren't cheap, but from what I've seen the Kimber is competitively priced. The SA Prodigy is one of the only similar pistols in that price range.
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 12:10:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By rlbuzz:
It's pretty much standard 1911 fare with a few differences like the external extractor, a bushing less bull barrel, and no grip safety.

As far as price I paid less than $1300 for mine delivered to my FFL.  IMO that's fairly reasonable for a 2011 style double stack, considering it somewhat copies the WC EDC X9 that is in the $3500 range.
The WC is undoubtedly the better of the two, but for the price it should be.

2011 style pistols aren't cheap, but from what I've seen the Kimber is competitively priced. The SA Prodigy is one of the only similar pistols in that price range.
View Quote

How will be the spare parts situation, especially consumables like recoil assemblies and main spring. Can you post pictures of the innards of the slide and frame?
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 1:52:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rlbuzz] [#4]
Here you go.  Parts list and a parts diagram, and even a link to download the whole owner manual.

https://i.imgur.com/489GcjW.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/NcNo7Eu.jpg

https://www.kimberamerica.com/pub/media/custom_fields/6656184625a9e18f9dcd6562059fb086/KDS9c-Manual_Updated_2023_julyUPDATE_original-warranty.pdf

Link Posted: 8/8/2023 5:10:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Thank you. That looks pretty good like 1911 in Para style. Hope the street price is coming down a little bit more into the 1k range and under for sales.
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 5:56:34 PM EDT
[#6]
I might be wrong, but with a MSRP of $1500 I doubt we will see it for $1000 or less.  Maybe $1200 or so.

We'll see.
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 8:25:53 PM EDT
[#7]
They are $1299-$1249. Online price
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 3:46:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Other than wanting an OR version, that’s really nice
Link Posted: 8/12/2023 10:57:45 AM EDT
[#9]
The KDS9C IS optic ready.  

Kimber is lagging behind in getting the optics plates out for sale, but when they finally do come out, the newest little Kimber is ready for them.
Link Posted: 9/22/2023 9:50:42 PM EDT
[#10]
I shot mine today. I'm happy. It's significantly lighter than my all steel bull armory 9mm.
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 11:56:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Kimber just added two new additions to its KDS9C line of pistols......they now have a rail version.  Available in all black or black/gray, the new pistols have a utility rail and come with one 15 round magazine and one 18 round magazine, but the MSRP is now $1903 vs $1499 for the non rail version.  It's a good looking pistol, and many people will like the rail addition, but come on Kimber,  $400  for a rail and one higher capacity magazine?

I purchased my KDS9C when it first came out, and so far mine has been flawless. I just don't see the big jump in price for just a rail.

Link Posted: 2/17/2024 1:21:13 PM EDT
[#12]
I just picked up the railed version. It has the Ambi safety and night sights that helped bump the price.

Link Posted: 2/17/2024 2:43:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By darg508:

How will be the spare parts situation, especially consumables like recoil assemblies and main spring. Can you post pictures of the innards of the slide and frame?
View Quote

Kimber is a huge manufacturer. Over half a million pistols a year from what I see in a quick search. If you are ever truly worried about that stuff just order what you need when you buy the gun and be done with it.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 2:51:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Gunjunki:
I just picked up the railed version. It has the Ambi safety and night sights that helped bump the price.
https://i.imgur.com/Iym0BqBl.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/mZzU6Yzl.jpg

View Quote

That looks really nice. How does it shoot?
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 7:50:52 PM EDT
[#15]
I've been out with the flu and haven't had a chance yet 😔
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 3:03:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Gunjunki:
https://i.imgur.com/Iym0BqBl.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/mZzU6Yzl.jpg

View Quote

My LGS has two of these, one all black and black/grey, I really liked it and once I move a few things, I'm gonna grab it. I was amazed at their price and almost bought it on the spot.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 6:04:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Hulley:

My LGS has two of these, one all black and black/grey, I really liked it and once I move a few things, I'm gonna grab it. I was amazed at their price and almost bought it on the spot.
View Quote

Haven't had a chance to shoot mine yet but have read a bunch of reviews. All have been positive. I picked up the RMR and RMRSc plates from Kimber alomg with 18 rd mags from Euro Optics.
Have both red dots to match the plates. Bore sighted the Holosun 507K. Looks more to scale for the size of the pistol with the smaller green dot!
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 7:06:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By TheOldRepublic:

That looks really nice. How does it shoot?
View Quote

Got to shoot 3 to 4 mags full this morning.very accurate with
PMC 115 gr FMJ. The target below was set at 15 yards and the group was before adjusting the Holosun 507k
No problems with the function either. Put about 50 rounds thru her. I was rolling a 4 in square reaction target from 25 out to 35 Yards. Hit it 10 times out of 15 rds. When I finishe, the square was at 35 yards.
Great pistol for theprice
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 9:21:48 PM EDT
[#19]
You are lucky.  I just shot my new Kimber for the first time.  It came with two magazines.  The gun just did not work.  More rounds jammed on the feed ramp that went into the chamber.  Different types of ammo were tried and same outcome regardless of the magazine used.  The beautiful little gun just did not work.  It seems to me the magazines may be bad because if I pushed the magazine up when shooting the gun work.  But as of now this was perhaps the worst performing gun I ever purchased. Here is hoping a call to Kimber on Monday gets me some resolution.  

Oh, and a gun at the gun club had one and he said he has the same problem.  So there seems to be an issue with this gun.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 9:23:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Let us know what Kimber does! I had to use them for a micro 9. After 2nd trip back they sent me a new one. It's been perfect since. Make them fix it!
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 3:35:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Contacted Kimber.  Sending the gun in for service. So far Kimber as been very polite and helpful. I cannot wait till this gun works because it feels great in the hand and looks very nice.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 5:16:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Good to hear. Looking forward to you next outing to confirm flawless functioning!...Hopefully
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:10:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Looking forward to the outcome, I'm close to buying one or spending the extra for a Staccato C2.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 1:41:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Had the opportunity to shoot the non-railed model this weekend.  Put about 100 rounds through it, 115gr, some reloads and some steel case.  Gun ran them all fine with no issues.  Shot accurate and smooth.  It feels good in my hand.

I really like the oval shaped mag button - it is easier for me to reach without modifying my grip too much.  In a perfect world, I would get a slightly thinner front sight and would love to have some slightly thinner grips with more aggressive texture.  Those two fixes would make this just about perfect.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 3:02:41 PM EDT
[#25]
I agree on wanting thinner grips with more traction. If no one makes any soon, I may order a spare set of factory grips and shave them down and apply Talon type grip tape
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top