Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/13/2023 7:33:33 AM EDT
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 3:58:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Meh - that's not really a gun I feel needs to have co-witnessed "iron" sights but for those that do, there you go. Looks like that optics plate would probably retrofit onto other "Lite" uppers?
Link Posted: 4/16/2023 6:48:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 20andOUT] [#2]
Seems like it just moves the sights much higher.  Madmacs and Lobos make what looks like a more simple and lower solution.  

But I do like seeing Ruger innovate with the market and working to lower optics below that crazy high rail they ship with.

Mad macs mount on my mk iii integral

Pic from article of mk iv co-witness.
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 12:04:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 20andOUT:
Seems like it just moves the sights much higher.  Madmacs and Lobos make what looks like a more simple and lower solution.  

But I do like seeing Ruger innovate with the market and working to lower optics below that crazy high rail they ship with.

Mad macs mount on my mk iii integral
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/77352/B1487708-2E31-4D90-9AAE-B30F56BFBF04-2664083.jpg

Pic from article of mk iv co-witness.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/77352/IMG_7093-2785331.jpg
View Quote

Agreed on the much cleaner options already out there. I'm not a cowitness guy either but happy to see Ruger changing things up.
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 12:13:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Hmmm. I was excited, but after seeing it I'm not.
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 9:50:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Meh. I've said it before and I will say it again.

Ruger really fucked over older mark 2 and 3 owners when they didn't design this version 4  so that it would take the same mags.

I am pretty heavily invested in lots of mags for my mark3 22/45 and the fact that l couldn't use any of them and would have to buy more.

F that and F Ruger.

Link Posted: 4/18/2023 7:55:51 PM EDT
[#6]
It’s an interesting design solution.  Personally, after spending the cash to get it as light as possible, I don’t see why id want to add back ounces for a cowitness on a 22 target/plinker pistol.

Link Posted: 4/21/2023 6:52:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By AeroEngineer:
It’s an interesting design solution.  Personally, after spending the cash to get it as light as possible, I don’t see why id want to add back ounces for a cowitness on a 22 target/plinker pistol.

View Quote

I went out yesterday and checked them out. The Lite 22/45 is very light even with the optic, too much so for my tastes unless I was going to modify it with say a TandemKross compensator and other parts, which it would be an ideal host for. I ended up walking out with a Mark IV tactical as all the 22/45's were just to light. Besides being heavy for its size, which I prefer, it gives me a number of add-on options with the upper and lower rails. I really prefer the grip angle though on 22/45's over Rugers standards but it irons out well with a two hand hold. The only thing I have in my bucket list for it is a Halo ring.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 7:57:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Taipan01:
I went out yesterday and checked them out. The Lite 22/45 is very light even with the optic, too much so for my tastes unless I was going to modify it with say a TandemKross compensator and other parts, which it would be an ideal host for. I ended up walking out with a Mark IV tactical as all the 22/45's were just to light. Besides being heavy for its size, which I prefer, it gives me a number of add-on options with the upper and lower rails. I really prefer the grip angle though on 22/45's over Rugers standards but it irons out well with a two hand hold. The only thing I have in my bucket list for it is a Halo ring.
View Quote

I know exactly where your coming from and have made the exact same statements in the past. I have and/or have had the following versions... MKIII Lite, MKIV Tactical and MKIV Lite and I think it really depends on what you plan to do with it and add to it?

Out of the box with no mods or add ons, I do think the Lites are too light but add an RDS and suppressor and some other do dads and I think it reverses, the Lites start feeling just right and the tactical starts getting on the heavy side. Sure you can put a WML or laser on the tac model but I've never had the slightest reason or desire to put either on a 22 pistol.

In the end, its really just personal preference and I'm glad we have the option.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 9:56:29 AM EDT
[#9]
That's ugly.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 9:57:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Mav3rick:
Meh. I've said it before and I will say it again.

Ruger really fucked over older mark 2 and 3 owners when they didn't design this version 4  so that it would take the same mags.

I am pretty heavily invested in lots of mags for my mark3 22/45 and the fact that l couldn't use any of them and would have to buy more.

F that and F Ruger.

View Quote

You can modify a MK IV in five minutes to accept MK III mags.

At least on the 22/45s you can. I'm not familiar with the regular model enough to speak to those.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 7:40:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By -Obsessed-:

You can modify a MK IV in five minutes to accept MK III mags.

At least on the 22/45s you can. I'm not familiar with the regular model enough to speak to those.
View Quote

Did not know this. Will look into it.
However, despite this if it true I shouldn't have to. I have Glocks from gen3 to 5.
I Didn't have to do anything to them to use all the mags on them.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 8:06:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -Obsessed-] [#12]
Originally Posted By Mav3rick:

Did not know this. Will look into it.
However, despite this if it true I shouldn't have to. I have Glocks from gen3 to 5.
I Didn't have to do anything to them to use all the mags on them.
View Quote

It essentially involves filing the back lip off the frame magwell. The only change was the length of the rear end of the base plate. It's shorter in the IV than the III so there is interference if you don't file it.

Alternatively you can file the trailing edge of the baseplate on all your mags. That converts them to MK IV mags for all intents and purposes. Factory MK IV mags for in a MK III without modification. FYI.
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 3:15:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By SteveJobs:
View Quote

Yep, better options.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 4:57:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Blacktoothgrin:

Yep, better options.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Blacktoothgrin:
Originally Posted By SteveJobs:

Yep, better options.

Pass for me.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 9:59:57 PM EDT
[#15]
So they added a rail to the top?
Someone at Ruger musta been drunk approving that
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 5:48:10 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By craig24680:
So they added a rail to the top?
Someone at Ruger musta been drunk approving that
View Quote

Gives you some options and if you don't want it, you can just use a hex wrench to take it off and fill the holes with Ruger plug screws. Some people have had them sent free from Ruger. The flip side is companies like Tandemcross and Madmacs have other bases and plates that use some of the already pre-drilled and tapped holes but are much smaller. Again, leaves more options to customize.
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 12:58:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Looks like another MKIV sold exclusively through SilencerShop.  Comes with a 3” barrel.
HERE
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 10:55:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By arndog123:
Looks like another MKIV sold exclusively through SilencerShop.  Comes with a 3” barrel.
HERE
View Quote

That’s so cool
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 1:54:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: NorthPolar] [#19]
Okay, I want one of the Silencershop ones.

Tangentially to the topic of Ruger's new optics ready pistol, I reached out to Jason at MaddMacs about making a Glock MOS cut optics mount for the MKIV.  Mostly so it can mount a Holosun SCS, but modularity would be nice too.  I'll update if I hear anything back.  Probably a no, but worth a shot.

Worst case, I'll just use an EPS instead.

Edit: that was a no current interest.
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 2:22:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: slappomatt] [#20]
View Quote
looks dorky
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 12:15:11 PM EDT
[#21]
They missed the mark on this. Should've made it just the rail on top and made it compatible with earlier MK4 22/45 lites. Would've been an awesome idea to just be able to buy the top rail but I guess they want you to buy a whole new gun
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 10:49:27 PM EDT
[#22]
I've opted out of a top rail in the end from my above postings and got some plug screws off of Ruger but kept the lower for a O'light mini Valkyrie 2 as an in case I need to do some night work on trash can poachers. If I do want to add an optic of some kind, there are better options out there than what was on it. I added things to the outside and switched out some of the internals while tossing the mag disconnect (I don't care for them). I'm glad I went with the all metal. As an FYI, the rearmost mounting hole does go all the way through and into the bolt chamber so for that one I just tightened it down to flush with some lock tight blue. I think most of the curse is off of it.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 7:43:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Agree!
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 8:44:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Good idea but the optic is going to look like ar height on that thing
The receiver has lots of meat, can't they mill some away to make a universal mount akin to Springfield eschalon (spelling)?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top