Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/13/2023 8:39:38 PM EDT
Hello
I have 2 new Security 380's that I recently purchased as future EDC's for my daughter and wife.
Today was my second trip to the range with both pistols and I am very disappointed.
Both now have around 350-400 rounds through them but I am having constant FTF's.
I mean like every other trigger pull ends in a FTF.
It seems the nose of the round or the lip of it's case is catching on something at the top of the chamber and sticking about 3/4 of the way in.
If I pull back slightly on the slide and let go, the round then seats into the chamber.
I've tried multiple ammo types like Fiocchi 95grn FMJ, HSL 100grn FMJ, and Precision One XTP 90grn HP.
The Precision One was the most painful because it was .60/round.
Both pistols are doing the EXACT same thing.
I'm open to suggestions and I'll also be contacting Ruger customer support.

Example of what both pistols are doing:
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/13/2023 8:52:51 PM EDT
[#1]
How many different mags are you using? 2 per gun? 4 bad mags seems unlikely.
Link Posted: 12/13/2023 8:53:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Buy a Glock 43
Link Posted: 12/13/2023 8:58:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Phillbilly:
How many different mags are you using? 2 per gun? 4 bad mags seems unlikely.
View Quote
Yes, I'm switching between the 4 mags that came with them.
Link Posted: 12/14/2023 10:26:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Pistols going back to Ruger.
Link Posted: 12/14/2023 10:40:29 AM EDT
[#5]
FTF could mean "Fail to fire" or Fail to feed"  I wish people would type not abbreviate.
Link Posted: 12/14/2023 2:23:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Mousegun:
FTF could mean "Fail to fire" or Fail to feed"  I wish people would type not abbreviate.
View Quote
Valid point. I've only ever seen FTF to be feed.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 5:18:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Well that's disappointing. I was thinking about picking one up. Perfect for female shooters. Take it apart and clean and lube it really well. Maybe polish the feed ramp lightly. Wonder if the mag springs are too strong for such a weak slide recoil spring. Leave the mags loaded for a few weeks. Flat pointed ammo sometimes causes issues with some guns. Try different types of round ball ammo.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 8:24:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By GunDisaster:
Well that's disappointing. I was thinking about picking one up. Perfect for female shooters. Take it apart and clean and lube it really well. Maybe polish the feed ramp lightly. Wonder if the mag springs are too strong for such a weak slide recoil spring. Leave the mags loaded for a few weeks. Flat pointed ammo sometimes causes issues with some guns. Try different types of round ball ammo.
View Quote
They run much better after getting them back from Ruger but they still refuse to cycle Fiocchi ammo.
I still plan to polish the feed ramps.
They both love Tula steel case.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 11:53:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Another FTF report for the Security 380.

I have 200 rounds through this gun (Norma "Range & Training" 95 grain FMJ ball ammo).  I experience a FTF about 8% of the time.  I usually clear the FTF by smacking the slide with the heel of my hand to push the round into battery.  When it runs properly, the gun is fun to shoot.  At this point this gun is unreliable.

Impression - I suspect the the "Lite Rack" feature may be just a little too light.  Like the weight of the recoil spring is not "balanced" with the action of the rest of the gun.  Hard to say at this point exactly what the source of the FTF is.

Next steps - Clean and lubricate the gun thoroughly.  Inspect feed ramp.  Then run another 100 rounds through the gun with different ammo.  See what happens.

If there is no improvement it will go back to Ruger for repair.

Link Posted: 1/16/2024 8:10:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By astronwolf:
Another FTF report for the Security 380.

I have 200 rounds through this gun (Norma "Range & Training" 95 grain FMJ ball ammo).  I experience a FTF about 8% of the time.  I usually clear the FTF by smacking the slide with the heel of my hand to push the round into battery.  When it runs properly, the gun is fun to shoot.  At this point this gun is unreliable.

Impression - I suspect the the "Lite Rack" feature may be just a little too light.  Like the weight of the recoil spring is not "balanced" with the action of the rest of the gun.  Hard to say at this point exactly what the source of the FTF is.

Next steps - Clean and lubricate the gun thoroughly.  Inspect feed ramp.  Then run another 100 rounds through the gun with different ammo.  See what happens.

If there is no improvement it will go back to Ruger for repair.

View Quote
@astronwolf
Both of mine run much better after getting them back from Ruger.
I've also discovered that they love Blazer brass and Tula steel cased.
I'm running both with zero FTF's now.
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 3:44:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By SquatchAv8:
@astronwolf
View Quote
@SquatchAv8
After a cleaning, I ran 50 rds of CCI Blazer and 50 rds of PMC Bronze with no failure to feeds.  That's 350 rounds through the pistol so far.  Maybe it is just a break-in issue.  Did have one of the mags fail to hold open when empty twice.  I'm not thinking it's fixed yet, but it is an improvement.

Link Posted: 1/24/2024 9:30:19 AM EDT
[#12]
@SquatchAv8
After a cleaning, I ran 50 rds of CCI Blazer and 50 rds of PMC Bronze with no failure to feeds.  That's 350 rounds through the pistol so far.  Maybe it is just a break-in issue.  Did have one of the mags fail to hold open when empty twice.  I'm not thinking it's fixed yet, but it is an improvement.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
@astronwolf
@SquatchAv8

Off hand thought- try shooting them one handed preferably left handed. See if they function. It may be that the modern high hand grip is interfering with the slide stop, or slight pressure on the slide from the support thumb is retarding movement of the slide ever so slightly ( in a marginally sprung gun ) and causing problems.
I certainly wouldn’t want to give my loved one an unreliable defensive gun either and 380’s are known to be more finicky than 9mm.

For a lot of reasons, I still prefer an old school revolver- though not an airweight for beginners. Yes the capacity is limited and reloads are slower ( greatly mitigated with practice) but functional issues related to possible ammo power level , less than perfect grip ( all too common in defensive situations even with experienced shooters in the heat of the moment) contact with muzzle on adversary or other obstruction doesn’t effect them.
Link Posted: 1/27/2024 11:58:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By captain127:
It may be that the modern high hand grip is interfering with the slide stop, or slight pressure on the slide from the support thumb is retarding movement of the slide ever so slightly ( in a marginally sprung gun ) and causing problems.
View Quote
I tried strong hand, weak hand, and two hand.  Another 50 rounds of Blazer through without a hiccup.  

Link Posted: 2/20/2024 11:49:56 PM EDT
[#14]
They run much better after getting them back from Ruger but they still refuse to cycle Fiocchi ammo.
View Quote
Fiocchi has a thicker case rim than other 380 ammo.

I have seen more complaints about Security 380s failing to feed Fiocchi than any other ammo, which leads me to believe at least part of the feeding problem rests with the ammo.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 2:22:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SquatchAv8] [#15]
Originally Posted By gc70:

I have seen more complaints about Security 380s failing to feed Fiocchi than any other ammo, which leads me to believe at least part of the feeding problem rests with the ammo.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By gc70:

I think you're right.
Both of my new 380's won't feed a single Fiocchi round without getting caught while moving up the feed ramp.
Stinks I bought 500 rounds of it.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 2:33:26 PM EDT
[#16]
My P365-380 also won’t feed the Fiocchi FMJ. I’d say that points to an ammo issue.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top