Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/29/2023 9:48:51 PM EDT
So I definitely know that in .45 LC that +P ammo is a no no on the New model vaqueros.

Is this the same in 357 as well, or is the spicer stuff good to go?
Link Posted: 11/6/2023 11:56:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1168RGR] [#1]
When it comes to SAAMI pressure standards, +P ammo is essentially a different cartridge with identical dimensions, but different pressure ceilings. So, its generally frowned upon to to shoot +p in a gun that isn’t rated for it. And some +p ammo and all +p+ ammo isn’t in compliance with SAAMI standards, because its not a thing for that cartridge.

With .357 Mag, there is only one pressure ceiling per SAAMI, so as far as SAAMI is concerned, there’s no such thing as .357 +p. While much .357 is loaded less than max, anything that complies with SAAMI standards should be safe. I don’t know about boutique ammo, but any of the major companies should be fine. Among major companies, the 158gr SJHPs and SPs tend to be hotter than the more modern carry/duty ammo, if that’s what you’re going for.

With that said, full tilt ammo will beat up a gun more and might make the cylinder sloppy over time. Supposedly this is a non-issue with the GP100, but I don’t know if that’s applicable in a Vaquero. I don’t think shooting max-hot .357 would be enjoyable through one, either. That’s what Blackhawks and GP100s are for.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top