Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/4/2024 6:47:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: eagle308us]
I’m looking for a new carry gun and local shop has 2 I’m seriously thinking about.

Sig P320 compact 45acp
S&W M&P 2.0 45acp full size 4.6 barrel

Sig is $50 more if that matters

Should I be rally be worried about the Sig potential discharge issues? Or just go with the M&P?

I have a M&P .380 I like but looking for a little more size and I have plenty of .45 ball/Winchester Ranger. I have a couple 1911 but looking for something lighter
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 6:54:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Which one feels better in the hand and points more naturally for you?
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 7:13:58 PM EDT
[#2]
M&P all day
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 7:35:39 PM EDT
[#3]
I’d go with the M&P

Smith seems to be supporting the .45 M&P line and continues to advance it. Sig seems like it’s an “also made”. This could just be my perception of it, but seems like the large frame Sig doesn’t have the same long term support the M&P does.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 7:42:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 8:11:52 PM EDT
[#5]
I have the M&P 45 FS and it is heavy as shit when loaded....it is now my nightstand gun
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 8:22:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Cant speak for the S&W, but the SIG 320 is a sweet shooting gun.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 8:26:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Love shooting the p320…….which feels better in your hand?
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 8:29:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By IDigForDough:
M&P all day
View Quote

Out of those two choices, M&p.

I prefer my Glock 21 though.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 10:21:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Have both in9mm.

M&P
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 10:41:59 PM EDT
[#10]
M&P all day
View Quote

320 carry sits and never gets carried like my 5” MP’s.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 4:31:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: patw] [#11]
It comes down to what fits you best. I like the P320- had a M18 but I didn't feel comfortable with the shorter/lighter trigger pull on it, at least not without a safety and even then. For me, it was just too short. I think Sig did a great job with them but I prefer the P365 trigger system more, although I know it doesn't help you. The other downside was having to buy different grip modules if the standard "medium" doesn't fit you. On the M18 I had, it felt to roundish in my hands and not very comfortable, if that makes any sense and I swapped it out for the X-Carry module instead. The module is easy to swap out but the added $40-50 cost per module, can also increase the initial cost of the gun if you don't like it. Also, the resale value of the base models are quite low, at least in my area, less than $400 for a slightly used one in 9mm.

With that said, the M&P 2.0 is a great gun and I have the 9mm version. I wish it had the newer flat trigger S&W is putting in some guns, as it has the best production trigger pull/feel I have shot, in my opinion. I am not sure why they haven't put it in or at least gave it an option for the .45 guns. Even with the 2 piece curved trigger, it is still quite a smooth pull and very much improved over the original model. Also, the S&W has a couple different back straps to adjust your grip, which I really like.

Everyone has their favorites. I would check and see if there is a range near you that has both you can rent and see what fits you best.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 4:35:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Not going to vote or tell you what to choose.  Which one can you operate and function all the controls best on and which do you like better.  Flip a coin if you cannot decide both are good pistols and are fairly on par with aftermarket support for holsters and accessories.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 11:28:21 PM EDT
[#13]
M&P by a mile.  The new triggers are perfection in my opinion.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 11:57:42 PM EDT
[#14]
I’d go with the M&P but if you’re a no under shirt guy like me be ready to hit it with some sand paper. Thing ate me alive before I mustered up the courage to hit the grip texture with some 320 grit on one side.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 12:12:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Ghostface] [#15]
Originally Posted By IDigForDough: M&PP320 All day
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/6/2024 1:01:24 AM EDT
[#16]
M&P all day
View Quote

This.  Better everything over the Sig.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 11:00:43 AM EDT
[#17]
I've owned and had both as primary handguns, many rounds through each.

I much prefer the M&P 2.0 over the 320.  It's just a fantastic gun.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 12:27:07 PM EDT
[#18]
M&P 2.0 I have the Spec series and a metal frame. Very accurate. Probably the best grip shape ever created.., other than CZ 75
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 12:33:30 PM EDT
[#19]
If youre considering the P320C, buy a P365 Macro in whatever flavor suits your needs.  Same capacity but smaller footprint. All the aftermarket doodads you could ever want.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 12:58:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By laxman09:
If youre considering the P320C, buy a P365 Macro in whatever flavor suits your needs.  Same capacity but smaller footprint. All the aftermarket doodads you could ever want.
View Quote

They do not make a P365 in .45BoomerACP
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 2:07:09 PM EDT
[#21]
I like the M&P. The grip on the 2.0 is basically perfect IMO.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 2:43:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lew] [#22]
I'd go with the M&P, and I carry either a 4" or 5" 2.0- both with a TLR-1- daily.

I've shot a few 320s and they all felt cheap. Triggers were mediocre at best. And SIG USA sucks.

You should try both and go with what you shoot the best and take into account the availability of mags and spare parts. Smith parts are dirt cheap.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 2:49:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By EdgecrusherXES:

They do not make a P365 in .45BoomerACP
View Quote

Did not see that.

Link Posted: 3/6/2024 3:01:33 PM EDT
[#24]
I like the P320 platform quite a bit, but the M&P 2.0 is my favorite striker fired handgun. In 2022 S&W updated the 2.0 to have a flat trigger and an improved slide catch that allows you to drop the slide with it. The factory trigger is pretty decent out of the box. There will be some grit on take up from the striker block, but you can either polish it or shoot the hell out of it. I don't have any experience with the 45 variant, but on the 9mm the only issues I've seen is the front sight tritium vial falling out and the slide will fail to lock back when you get the gun so hot you can't touch anything metal. Like running 500+ rounds through it doing mag dumps. Hot enough your support thumb will get burnt on the takedown lever.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 9:39:16 PM EDT
[#25]
I vote M&P.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 11:01:28 AM EDT
[#26]
M&P 2.0. IMO the P320 is a mediocre platform with some bad design choices and I'm just not a fan.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 10:52:55 PM EDT
[#27]
If the 320 didn't exist I would go for the M&P2.0.

But since it does exist the 320 get my vote.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 11:08:19 PM EDT
[#28]
If you get the SIG just get the model with manual safety. Then you don't have to worry about it Just going off.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 11:16:50 PM EDT
[#29]
S&W M&P 2.0 all day.

Have a 320 (no safety model) and I don't carry it much.

The Grip feels fat (yes you can buy a Wilson Combat Grip for extra $$$), no trigger dingus to prevent holster activation and that high bore axis.

The M&P has the interchangeable grip panels to fit your hand it the ergonomics are near perfect - most comfortable and natural point shooting pistols I own.

As others have said, the texture is rough for grip, but don't be afraid to hit it lightly with some sandpaper on a block to knock down the spikes for more carry comfort if your holster doesn't have a sweat shield.

Bigger_Hammer
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 9:42:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Thanks all

Ended up with the M&P. If felt better in my hand

I found some extra $$$ and now am looking at 9mm

Glock 19
Glock 48
M&P
Sig P365
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 9:43:13 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By eagle308us:
Thanks all

Ended up with the M&P. If felt better in my hand

I found some extra $$$ and now am looking at 9mm

Glock 19
Glock 48
M&P
Sig P365
View Quote

Which P365 variant?  All of those choices are really good options me personally I have a G19 and P365XL and P365 Macro build I put together with a X slide and a Herrington comp all 3 have red dots as well.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 10:41:52 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By EdgecrusherXES:

Which P365 variant?  All of those choices are really good options me personally I have a G19 and P365XL and P365 Macro build I put together with a X slide and a Herrington comp all 3 have red dots as well.
View Quote

The X-Marco

I handled them and many more. I'm not comfortable with a grip any shorter and these 4. I tried some shorter and just don't like my lower fingers not being on the grip.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 10:54:58 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Gullskjegg:
I've owned and had both as primary handguns, many rounds through each.

I much prefer the M&P 2.0 over the 320.  It's just a fantastic gun.
View Quote

I'll second this. I have both, have carried both and shot a lot of rounds through both. My vote is for an M&P all day...
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 10:55:09 AM EDT
[#34]
M&P.

I tried to like the P320 I’ve had.

P320
P320 compact
P320 RX
P320 X-Full

I ended up selling all of them and haven’t looked back.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 8:02:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Blain] [#35]
P320 all day, and twice on Sunday!  Shoots so much better with superior egros to the M&P.  I have a P320 45 compact with the small grip frame.  It's crazy how small it is and how well it fits the hand.  Carries and shoots like a 9.  It's so much smaller and handier than the M&P 45 full size (which I also have) yet only holds only one less round!!!

FYI, 45 caliber P320  FCUs are backwards compatible with 9mm and 40/357 slides and grips (the reverse is not true though).  There have been posts and videos documenting such.

Link Posted: 3/14/2024 12:08:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MK318] [#36]
I own multiples of both guns. You can’t really go wrong with either. It is going to come down to which you shoot better. For me that is the 320, but the 2.0 M&P series is also a great choice. I have a 5” tactical launch model that is a Tac driver. I love the aggressive texture of the grip too. I’ve been meaning to check out their new metal 2.0 to see now it shoots but I haven’t got around to it yet.

X-Macro is an excellent pistol. The P365 series is all around great. Again, I own multiple P365s, the best thing about them is that you aren’t really stuck with a configuration. If there is something you don’t like about the grip, you can easily fix that. The Macro has the same capacity of a Glock 17 but in a tiny frame that feels like a single stack.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 1:04:30 AM EDT
[#37]
M&P all day
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/14/2024 3:18:16 AM EDT
[#38]
I really Really REALLY tried to like the Sig 320, but it just doesn't do much for me.

Add the mysterious "going off on it's own" problems of the 320 & it makes me concerned about putting anything that goes BANG inside my waistband pointed at my 'junk' that does not have a trigger safety (like the Glock, M&P & XD to name a few).

M&P 2.0 for the win!
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 4:56:13 AM EDT
[#39]
M&P all day.
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 5:50:41 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Ghostface:
@Ghostface

what model is that? RXP?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/4827/IMG_0038_jpeg-3154022.JPG
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/14/2024 10:27:45 AM EDT
[#41]
I'd go with the M&P. It's a fleshed out design. No real issues with it.

The Sig still hasn't had its issues fixed. They keep saying they fixed them, and keep making mods, but then the new upgraded ones keep going off by themselves. That's not something I want in a gun. Last week or so, one of the latest updates went off by itself.

Right now, it's an unsafe design, so M&P all the way.
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 1:26:22 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Redman556:
I'd go with the M&P. It's a fleshed out design. No real issues with it.

The Sig still hasn't had its issues fixed. They keep saying they fixed them, and keep making mods, but then the new upgraded ones keep going off by themselves. That's not something I want in a gun. Last week or so, one of the latest updates went off by itself.

Right now, it's an unsafe design, so M&P all the way.
View Quote

No P320 has ever "went off by itself" anymore than any glock did in the 90s.

People who are having NDs jumping on that BS to avoid self accountability.

Just about any long gun you drop can disscharge.  Are you afraid to own ARs?
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 7:25:56 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Blain:
P320 all day, and twice on Sunday!  Shoots so much better with superior egros to the M&P.  I have a P320 45 compact with the small grip frame.  It's crazy how small it is and how well it fits the hand.  Carries and shoots like a 9.  It's so much smaller and handier than the M&P 45 full size (which I also have) yet only holds only one less round!!!
View Quote

Having shot the 320 9mm and the M&P 2.0 9mm on the same day (in each hand at the same time even!): No. Just no.

The bore axis on the 320 is stupidly high (and I like the P226 and 228), and the trigger sucks. The 320 is a larger pistol.
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 8:22:56 PM EDT
[#44]
As soon as someone mentions bore axis in a discussion about handguns, you can pretty much ignore everything they say after that. You can rest assured they are regurgitating something they read online or heard in a gun store and don’t really understand the subject. It’s low hanging fruit that people who like firearm A, will say about firearm B, to disagree with owner B, but when you get right down to it, is subjective. Just like grip angle. It’s like saying the 1911 is better than the Glock because the 1911s grip angle is better. That is user preference. Everyone has different hands, strength, arm length, and so on. There is no one size fits all pistol.
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 9:56:16 PM EDT
[#45]
M&P all day
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 10:16:37 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By MK318:
As soon as someone mentions bore axis in a discussion about handguns, you can pretty much ignore everything they say after that. You can rest assured they are regurgitating something they read online or heard in a gun store and don’t really understand the subject. It’s low hanging fruit that people who like firearm A, will say about firearm B, to disagree with owner B, but when you get right down to it, is subjective. Just like grip angle. It’s like saying the 1911 is better than the Glock because the 1911s grip angle is better. That is user preference. Everyone has different hands, strength, arm length, and so on. There is no one size fits all pistol.
View Quote

I love how you state that so definitively and authoritatively. It's not an overriding factor, but it IS a factor that affects the overall feel and performance of the handgun, and it's not as subjective to personal dimensions as grip angle.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 10:57:14 PM EDT
[#47]
M&P all day
View Quote

I added Apex trigger internals to one of my M&P’s (keeping the new style S&W trigger shoe).  Wow…it is pure perfection.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 4:27:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ghostface] [#48]
Originally Posted By txtj79:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By txtj79:
Originally Posted By Ghostface:
@Ghostface

what model is that? RXP?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/4827/IMG_0038_jpeg-3154022.JPG

@txtj79

It was a standard P320 carry in .40, I sent the slide off to PMM to be milled for an optic, added the suppressor sights , flat trigger and dropped it in an AXG frame. I had to do this and spend a boat load of extra money since Sig doesn’t offer anything like it’s other than it in 9mm…
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 6:17:27 PM EDT
[#49]
I think there is way too much infatuation with a particular pistol as any mainstream handgun that fits your hand and is reliable will good basis to develop your skills.  You need to develop gun handling/shooting skills instead of relying on your pistol to make up for your shortcomings.  I started shooting with my dad when I was 10 y/o.  We started with my dad’s Colt Government model in 45 ACP and his Colt Python.  For first 15 years or so I  shot all different kind of handguns.
In my late 20’s I was fortunate to purchase a custom 1911 made by a very talented local gunsmith.  For next couple years I only shot that pistol.  I started getting serious into reloading.  I developed one load that was very accurate in my pistol (200gr SWC @ 960 gps) and shot 500 rounds every week. I carried and competed with Bruce Nelson’s IWB holster and mag pouches.  I practiced one or two days every week and shot bullseye, bowling pin, IPSC ISPSA and later IDPA matches every weekend with that one pistol, one holster and one load. After few years I added other 1911 style pistols including Commander and Officer. For 18 years I pretty much shot 1911 type pistol.  I got really good with that pistol and even shot 100 yard handgun matches with it.  I don’t think I could have been better, faster, more accurate  and safer hand gunner with more modern design pistol.  
In my mid 40’s I injured my back and could not carry heavy pistol on my waist anymore so o ended up getting into subcompact Glock pistols.
Pick your tool that fits you and your purpose and learn to master it.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 12:52:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Tiribulus] [#50]
I can't tell you what to buy, but I can tell you that I love my 4.6 in. M&P 2.0 in 45 ACP. A couple thousand rounds through it with no hiccups and very accurate. As in like REALLY accurate.

A bonus is that you can still get 10 round police trade in mags for like 15 bucks apiece. I got three a few years ago from AIM for 10.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top