Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/30/2024 4:54:41 PM EDT
I picked up my DB45 from the LGS and have had fun getting familiar with it. Since it's brand new, does it make sense to replace the recoil spring and any others?
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 5:31:43 PM EDT
[#1]
If you are shooting standard 45 ACP ammunition, there is no reason to change anything.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 6:00:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: maxima2] [#2]
Originally Posted By vwguy:
I picked up my DB45 from the LGS and have had fun getting familiar with it. Since it's brand new, does it make sense to replace the recoil spring and any others?
View Quote
Why would you do that?

Does NOT make sense to me - but, it is your gun and money.

Link Posted: 2/1/2024 12:11:26 PM EDT
[#3]
if you are going to tune it to the load you shoot sure, if you are just changing springs because you heard people on the internet say it , no.

Link Posted: 2/1/2024 10:15:09 PM EDT
[#4]
I had a handful of new Wilson springs in my box. I put one in my Tisas when new. No issues.
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 10:40:54 PM EDT
[#5]
I typically use a 15lb recoil spring in a .45 to get the sights to track where I want them. If there is any reason to change springs, that is it.

15 recoil, 19 mainspring, Adjust the leaf spring.
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 9:33:12 AM EDT
[#6]
The only spring I’ve changed on my 4 Tisas’ is the safety plunger spring. They always seem a little weak out of the box. Definitely a more positive “click” to them with a replacement spring. I use Wolff.
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 4:02:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By vwguy:
View Quote
Good choice, and I know how fun it can be getting familiar with a new gun.  Unless there is an obvious defect or problem with the gun (won't shoot, jams ALL the time, etc.) shoot for putting at least 500 rounds through the gun before coming to a conclusion about whether it needs springs, an extractor tuning, mags, etc.  Remember that the new guns do have a warranty.  If it shoots fine, have fun and shoot the crap out of it.  Put another 1-2k rounds through it.  

Link Posted: 2/4/2024 8:53:30 PM EDT
[#8]
As an owner of three Tisas 1911s, I agree with these guys, though this should go for any new 1911. Any new gun actually.

At bare minimum, put a few boxes of different factory ammo through it before changing anything. Especially if this is your first 1911. The 1911 is not a Glock or an M&P. or an AR. It's a lot easier to jack something up.

Chances are it will run like it is and once you get a feel for it, then maybe some upgrades will make more sense.

OR... ... you can do whatever you want, because it's yours.
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 9:04:17 PM EDT
[#9]
BTW, if you simply cannot resist the urge to take it down to the frame (believe me I get it) take the thumb safety outta the frame first and put it back in last. If you disengage the sear spring from the sear before you have the thumb safety out you'll wind up in a Chinese torture puzzle. Of course I've only ever read about this. I'd never do something so silly myself.
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 9:08:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Tiribulus] [#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By psp6785:
The only spring I’ve changed on my 4 Tisas’ is the safety plunger spring. They always seem a little weak out of the box. Definitely a more positive “click” to them with a replacement spring. I use Wolff.
View Quote
I snipped the mag catch spring in my A1 clone and the stainless 45 Duty model. Those things were so stiff I thought I was going to need a specific day in the gym to develop the thumb strength to drop the mags.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top