Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/19/2023 3:18:40 PM EDT
Currently own a Springfield Operator 9mm. I love this thing! I'm looking at adding another 1911 to the collection, this time 45acp.

Question I have is what's the biggest differences between the operator and the TRP operator? They are both similarly priced at my LGS, curious to know which one you'd pick and why.

Main use is range/carry/nightstand.
Link Posted: 10/19/2023 3:37:47 PM EDT
[#1]
The TRP had a talented Smith sit down with it and give it one on one time.
Link Posted: 10/19/2023 3:57:33 PM EDT
[#2]
I have both but I think the biggest difference is the grip being textured on the TRP.

Off hand that’s the thing I can remember.
Link Posted: 10/19/2023 9:37:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Trp operator has the bull barrel, front strap checkered, adjustable rear sight over a regular operator. Also the mag well. Most operators don’t have the mag well only the Long Beach operator from years back had a factory mag well.
Link Posted: 10/20/2023 6:35:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Went to the LGS to check it out, turns out she was a used piece but no worries. Take er home in a couple weeks.

9mm Operator and a 45 TRP operator. Good start to the collection!
Link Posted: 10/21/2023 8:41:16 AM EDT
[#5]
TRP Operator ftw.

Link Posted: 12/22/2023 1:53:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dalle0001] [#6]
Hard to say what is better. I have the Operator that is current production, and love it.

I do believe the TRP is discontinued model. Also, if I remember right Chris Kyle carried the pistol and spoke highly of it until it taken a blast after which he carried a different pistol in .45 cal. Also the bull barrel and 1 piece guide rod. My current Operator production model has the standard recoil and spring and your normal barrel. The barrel also has a cutout to see if it has a round in the chamber but it is very difficult to see in the dark.

Overall I would go with the Operator only because I own it and because it would match your 9mm Operator. I got mine with a 10% discount so it was like 900 bucks new which I guess is okay. You really can't go wrong, in my opinion.
Link Posted: 12/22/2023 2:09:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Which Operator do you have OP? Operator just means rail and there are numerous models built out at different levels.

The old guns were easy they just had operator versions of Mil Spec, Loaded, TRP, Professional. It's basically trim levels just like a car where each step up gets you a little nicer features. The Range Officer Operator seems similar to the Loaded Operators. You even had some limited runs like the Long Beach Operators which from what I remember were a step up from a TRP but not an actual custom built gun like the professional. I have no idea how many there have been over the years.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By OG1:
View Quote

You sure? I've never heard that TRP guns were hand Smithed. I thought that was mostly the Professional guns.
Link Posted: 12/23/2023 8:48:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By ALASKANFIRE:
Which Operator do you have OP? Operator just means rail and there are numerous models built out at different levels.

The old guns were easy they just had operator versions of Mil Spec, Loaded, TRP, Professional. It's basically trim levels just like a car where each step up gets you a little nicer features. The Range Officer Operator seems similar to the Loaded Operators. You even had some limited runs like the Long Beach Operators which from what I remember were a step up from a TRP but not an actual custom built gun like the professional. I have no idea how many there have been over the years.

You sure? I've never heard that TRP guns were hand Smithed. I thought that was mostly the Professional guns.
View Quote

As far as I know it, the entire Operator line is a production gun. Nothing is custom built.
Link Posted: 12/23/2023 9:07:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By OG1:
View Quote

100% NOT TRUE

The TRP line has someone match the slide/receiver/barrel. They literally pick from mass produced components and group together the ones that fit the best.
Link Posted: 12/23/2023 4:38:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By dalle0001:

As far as I know it, the entire Operator line is a production gun. Nothing is custom built.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

What about the Professionals?
Link Posted: 12/23/2023 9:33:36 PM EDT
[#11]

View All Quotes

The Pro was all hand built, and thus the price. I don't know if they are still building them to the same quality as the old ones, however, especially since they changed the roll marks.
Link Posted: 12/25/2023 1:20:06 AM EDT
[#12]

View Quote

The Professionals are all hand built. I do believe you can still order them the way you want but they're not going to add anything you want them to build.
Link Posted: 12/25/2023 1:28:14 AM EDT
[#13]

The Professionals are all hand built. I do believe you can still order them the way you want but they're not going to add anything you want them to build.
View All Quotes

Understood that's why I was confused on the reply about all Operators being production level because they have a Professional Light Rail Operator.
Link Posted: 12/25/2023 12:31:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dalle0001] [#14]

Understood that's why I was confused on the reply about all Operators being production level because they have a Professional Light Rail Operator.
View Quote

From what I can gather Springfield would supply upgrades to the MEU(SOC) 1911 program for the Marines back in the early 2000s when GWOT was at its height. What Springfield would do is ship Quantico various slides, barrels and parts to fit into their 1911. There's a whole lot of data provided and if you look at the MEU(SOC) pistols, you'll see some with the US Army Property original frame but fitted with various kind of slides like the Operator, Professional, etc. At some point, Springfield submitted the MC Operator to the Marines but they went with the Colt M45a1. I do think at some point you can buy an Operator slide yourself and basically put it on whatever you want.

I do believe back when they were taking orders from people, you can supply them with the slides and barrels and parts. So you can have a non-railed Professional 1911 with the operator slide on it. I would imagine the resell value would probably be a niche market because you have a $4k pistol but chances are whoever is looking at it would probably think it's a 1k Operator. You'd probably either want to make sure it is a keeper or just wait for the right buyer which is going to take a very long time.
Link Posted: 12/26/2023 10:08:38 AM EDT
[#15]

View All Quotes

Operator isn't a line. Operator just describes a gun with a rail.

... except for the Ronin operator
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top