Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/22/2023 9:02:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Macchina]
I’ve been shooting this gun for 2 years. About 2000 rounds through it. Been doing an informal class with drills lately and at the last one I had about 10 RTB failures. It was a mess. Never had this before. I cleaned it well before and after the issue.

Here’s the weird things:

If I rack it slowly with or without a round it will stall at 1/4” OOB.

With the slide stuck OOB I can wiggle the barrel so it’s not the barrel.

It can’t be the extractor spring because it binds with an empty chamber.

Any ideas?

Link Posted: 9/22/2023 10:18:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Have you taken the slide apart yet? That striker assembly has some plastic parts that do not inspire confidence.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/22/2023 11:01:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Macchina:

If I rack it slowly with or without a round it will stall at 1/4” OOB.

Any ideas?
View Quote

Had the same thing happen with an HK USP9, turned out the slide had deformed and developed a ridge on the inside of the slide where it mates with the chamber. Turned out that the slide had not been properly heat treated.

Best bet is to run a finger nail on the inside of the slide checking all mating and contacting surfaces for deformations that would impede movement.
Link Posted: 9/22/2023 12:14:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Macchina] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DVCER:
Have you taken the slide apart yet? That striker assembly has some plastic parts that do not inspire confidence.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/857/IMG_6313_jpeg-2962363.JPG
View Quote

I have not but plan to this weekend. Something is suddenly catching and suspect it’s happening when the striker is being engaged to pull it back at the very end of slide travel. It appears this is the correct distance where the sluggishness begins.
Note: I added images to the OP.
Link Posted: 9/22/2023 12:24:09 PM EDT
[#4]
In for anwsers
Link Posted: 9/22/2023 9:41:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Don't rack it slowly? Replace the recoil spring?
Link Posted: 9/22/2023 9:42:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Macchina] [#6]
Holy crap!!! I figured it out!

I took apart my striker tonight and that didn’t fix it, but while checking everything out I found a lot of wear on the slide where it enters the frame at the front… I had tightened my Streamlight down decently tight last time I cleaned it before I shot it last time. The front of the frame was definitely squeezing the slide, I could see it relaxing as I loosened the light and there are definitely new wear marks there.

I loosened the light and presto: it functions perfectly. LOL. Darn…
Link Posted: 9/22/2023 9:48:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By pokey074:
Don't rack it slowly? Replace the recoil spring?
View Quote

The problem was occurring while shooting (about 10 failure to returns) and racking it slowly it was super rough. Racking a pistol slowly can help show you what’s going on.
Link Posted: 9/22/2023 9:55:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Glad you figured it out.
Link Posted: 9/23/2023 8:03:44 AM EDT
[#9]
A light mounted on a rail that was made for a light, inducing malfunctions further pisses me off.  I like my XL, but damn.
Glad you figured it out .
Link Posted: 9/23/2023 11:25:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Macchina:
Holy crap!!! I figured it out!

I took apart my striker tonight and that didn't fix it, but while checking everything out I found a lot of wear on the slide where it enters the frame at the front  I had tightened my Streamlight down decently tight last time I cleaned it before I shot it last time. The front of the frame was definitely squeezing the slide, I could see it relaxing as I loosened the light and there are definitely new wear marks there.

I loosened the light and presto: it functions perfectly. LOL. Darn

View Quote

I never would have thought of that!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top