Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/14/2024 7:56:26 PM EDT
I've narrowed it down to one of these for my next pistol.
I own a Shield Plus 3" barrel and a Shield Plus PC 4" barrel and both are great. That has me leaning M&P2.0, but I read lots of good things about the Walther too.

It will be a range toy, The Plus PC is my EDC.

Anyone own or shot both? Thoughts?

Feel free to toss in another threaded barrel w/supressor height sights 9mm compact pistol as well that is not a Glock or HK.

Link Posted: 2/14/2024 8:26:35 PM EDT
[#1]
I’ve never shot a PDP (but they look comfortable to grip) and I’m a huge M&P fan.  That being said for “just a range toy” I’d probably be looking at something nicer.  Like a CZ Shadow, Smith 41 or Sig P210.  

If doing an M&P, it’d be the new Competitor or a 2.0 Metal.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 12:09:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RangeToy] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By GlockPride:
I’ve never shot a PDP (but they look comfortable to grip) and I’m a huge M&P fan.  That being said for “just a range toy” I’d probably be looking at something nicer.  Like a CZ Shadow, Smith 41 or Sig P210.  

If doing an M&P, it’d be the new Competitor or a 2.0 Metal.
View Quote

Must be suppressor ready for me & not heavy. You never shot a PDP so not sure how you can dismiss it & say CZ instead..m
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 12:12:33 AM EDT
[#3]
I love my pc plus and I bought a pdp pro compact and returned it. High bore axis, snappy, junky and the gargantuan slide release was always getting hit. The trigger was nice but not much nicer than the plus. I would get shadow 2 for a range toy.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 1:25:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Another vote for M&P, shot a PDP before and as many have also stated it is a bit jumpy: pretty similar to how one of the old Sig P-series metal guns shoot.

Walther is quite popular nowadays because they have been active recruiting a lot of trendy Instagram shooters to promote their product, it's not a bad gun at all the M&P is just a better gun.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 6:50:54 AM EDT
[#5]
I bought a new Walther PDP Compact , I have had no problems with it shoots great ,I was the surprised when the PA State Police just went with the new Walther , they will be getting rid of the Sig 227 they had for a while , if you have the Smith Wesson line already I would try out the new Walther I think you will like it .
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 7:12:46 AM EDT
[#6]
I just bought the M&P 2.0 Metal Spec Series, got to go shoot it yesterday and it was super nice shooting. I was pleasantly surprised how effective the comp was and how flat it shot. Was already planning to remove the comp, but after shooting it, it will stay on.

I've never shot a PDP, but I have a Canik Rival, which is basically a PDP cone. I would get the Metal Spec Series. It comes with a threaded barrel and tall sights. The comp is fun to shoot, take it off for your suppressor.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 2:25:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Both are great guns and will serve you well. With that said, I am a big fan of the newer M&P guns. They feel good in the hand, point naturally and work perfectly. I have a couple and love them.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 2:51:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Consider this both are quality reliable handguns but even though I am not a big M&P guy (I find them boring like the Glock) if it were me and this was for me I would probably do the M&P.  Aftermarket support is much better for the M&P not as expansive as the Glock and kind of on par with the P320.  Ultimately I say buy the one that gives you the warm fuzzy feeling inside as I do not think you will be disappointed no matter what you choose.
Link Posted: 2/16/2024 4:35:19 PM EDT
[#9]
If purely a range toy, get the full size Pro SD and never look back with any regrets.  Phenomenal pistols in all regards.  

M&Ps do absolutely nothing for me.  Although I can see the appeal of the Spec series.  

The new metal framed PDPs would seem to be a better comparison though.

Link Posted: 2/16/2024 4:41:56 PM EDT
[#10]
PDP pro squad checking in

Did I somehow make it in before saying how great the trigger is?

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/16/2024 5:00:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Jkees:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/556601/BC62FC82-C0C2-41EC-B2C7-8E7DF24885DD_jpe-3131298.JPG
View Quote

#Monica
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 10:23:47 AM EDT
[#12]
PDP pro is a great gun I love mine and I also loved the PPQ series. A 15lb recoil spring goes a long way on the PDP since it's very over sprung from the factory.

Link Posted: 2/18/2024 10:59:47 PM EDT
[#13]
PDP
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 1:39:25 PM EDT
[#14]
I was a bit underwhelmed with the PDP that I tried.  I strongly prefer M&P for striker fired plastic guns.
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 7:20:18 PM EDT
[#15]
M&P. PDP is very snappy for a 9mm.

Link Posted: 2/20/2024 10:17:48 PM EDT
[#16]
I bought a M&P 2.0 9mm Compact
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 7:22:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By RangeToy:
I bought a M&P 2.0 9mm Compact
View Quote

Congrats … any pics?
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 3:38:42 AM EDT
[#18]
M&P +1

Next time try a SAR9 Gen 3  very shootable gun
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 11:55:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: lilMAC25] [#19]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/556601/BC62FC82-C0C2-41EC-B2C7-8E7DF24885DD_jpe-3131298.JPG
View Quote

Is it better than a Canik Mete? Because that’s a phenomenal striker fired trigger.

M&P factory triggers are dogshit. It DEMANDS and upgrade to the Apex.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 1:03:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By lilMAC25:

Is it better than a Canik Mete? Because that’s a phenomenal striker fired trigger.

View Quote

Meh the new factory non hinged is pretty snazzy
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 5:12:52 PM EDT
[#21]

View Quote

I have no problem w/the trigger on my M&P 2.0 or my Shield Plus or my Shield Plus PC.

Are they the best ever? Likely not, but no gripes bad enough to change them.

I'd love to change the trigger on my LCP Max, but do not like messing with carry gun triggers
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 5:55:33 PM EDT
[#22]

I have no problem w/the trigger on my M&P 2.0 or my Shield Plus or my Shield Plus PC.

I'd love to change the trigger on my LCP Max, but do not like messing with carry gun triggers
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Mine was horrible. Just terrible. I tried to save $$ by polishing the striker block down some, but it didn’t work well enough. I gladly spent the $$ on an APEX
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 11:07:14 AM EDT
[#23]
The M&P is a good gun, but it is not comparable to a PDP or a PPQ in any of the ways which are important to me such as grip texture, ergonomics, feel in hand, trigger, sights or accuracy. The PDP has an adjustable rear sight and if you prefer some some other rear sight the PDP has Glock compatible sights so every aftermarket sight maker in the business can provide one for your PDP. On the M&P (the ones I've owned along with my two current Shield Plus models) the rear sight is not even adjustable. If you think moving the front sight of an M&P is as easy as the manual says I'm here to tell you it's put in so tight you better have a good sight pusher and a 6" allen wrench to torque it even a little bit. I've been there and done that. You also don't have to do the screwdriver thing of pushing down the lever inside the grip frame to field strip the Walthers as you do on the M&Ps.  I have owned three M&Ps and currently have an M&P 2.0 in 4" 9mm. It is good in the polymer frame striker fired world, but not as good as the VP9 or the Walthers. I've owned a lot of poly strikers and sent most of them down the road but my Walther PPQs and PDPs are keepers. My full size PDP is the most accurate of all the too many polymer strikers I have ever owned.

As always with any choice in life, it is just personal opinion. Good luck with whatever you choose and may you shoot it in good health.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 11:23:00 AM EDT
[#24]
I have a M&P 2.0 Pro and a PPQ M2.  Kind of both.  The Smith had a lot of work done to it by the prior owner; Apex trigger, fiber optic sights, funnel, etc.  The PPQ is stock.  

The Smith is a slick rig, I probably shoot it better than anything I own.  But the Walther is damn nice for a stock piece and could probably become even better.  Walther has really upped their game in recent years.  From friends that have them I understand the PDP is even better than the PPQ.

After market probably better for the Smith.  I think, and I emphasize think, the Walther may have more upside.  

Tough call.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 3:12:23 PM EDT
[#25]
I'm an M&P fan, but I was excited about the PDP... until I shot it. Very snappy and I'm not a fan of the ergonomics. Trigger was good, but I don't think my stock M&P triggers are in any way bad. Both my 4" and 5" M&Ps are very smooth, and I'll happily pick up more of those instead.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 4:32:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By delta25:
The M&P is a good gun, but it is not comparable to a PDP or a PPQ in any of the ways which are important to me such as grip texture, ergonomics, feel in hand, trigger, sights or accuracy. The PDP has an adjustable rear sight and if you prefer some some other rear sight the PDP has Glock compatible sights so every aftermarket sight maker in the business can provide one for your PDP. On the M&P (the ones I've owned along with my two current Shield Plus models) the rear sight is not even adjustable. If you think moving the front sight of an M&P is as easy as the manual says I'm here to tell you it's put in so tight you better have a good sight pusher and a 6" allen wrench to torque it even a little bit. I've been there and done that. You also don't have to do the screwdriver thing of pushing down the lever inside the grip frame to field strip the Walthers as you do on the M&Ps.  I have owned three M&Ps and currently have an M&P 2.0 in 4" 9mm. It is good in the polymer frame striker fired world, but not as good as the VP9 or the Walthers. I've owned a lot of poly strikers and sent most of them down the road but my Walther PPQs and PDPs are keepers. My full size PDP is the most accurate of all the too many polymer strikers I have ever owned.

As always with any choice in life, it is just personal opinion. Good luck with whatever you choose and may you shoot it in good health.
View Quote

Feel and accuracy vary by shooter. For example, no Glocks for me because the grip angle sucks for me and I can't be accurate with them.

I can shoot sub 1 MOA with my M&P. Both the factory barrel & threaded Apex barrel.

Variety is great for the consumer. :D I still may pick up a PDP Pro if I can find a used deal. So far, the latest used ones I have seen come up are up for new pistol money. Hard pass
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 9:48:02 PM EDT
[#27]

View All Quotes

The Canik ( at least tp9 ) is a Walther clone so I guess they may be the same.  The PDP pro is amazing.  I think the new Walther trigger is pretty much the pinnacle of the striker design.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 9:52:57 AM EDT
[#28]

Is it better than a Canik Mete? Because that's a phenomenal striker fired trigger.

View All Quotes

Is it better than a Canik Mete? Because that's a phenomenal striker fired trigger.

The newer flat faced trigger is just fine as long as you don't want a super light trigger. It honestly only needs the APEX USB on it. S&W really should license it from APEX and put it in the gun.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 6:05:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By mc556:

The Canik ( at least tp9 ) is a Walther clone so I guess they may be the same.  The PDP pro is amazing.  I think the new Walther trigger is pretty much the pinnacle of the striker design.
View Quote

I've had many Caniks & could never get any to run reliably with a can. Never had that problem with anything else
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top