Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/22/2024 1:25:55 PM EDT
Good afternoon all!  I wanted to share a little troubleshooting tidbit I came across recently.

I have a beautiful German P220 that I've owned for 15+ years now, and it's likely twice that old (purchased used).  I have some of the magazines that originally came with it, along with a bunch of Sig OEM and ACT magazines that I've purchased after the fact. I can't count how many rounds I have through this weapon.  As one of my favorite pistols, round count would have to be in the thousands (probably around 3-4k if I had to guess).
During my last range session, I had a few failures to feed, where it seemed like the slide was outrunning the action and failing to grab/chamber a new round.  Checked what I could at the range, re-lubed her and ran it the rest of the day and only had one more hiccup.

When I got home, I thought I'd do a real deep clean of the gun and magazines.  When I took apart the mags, I noticed that the springs on the OEM Sig mags (likely the oldest ones) were noticeably shorter in their "relaxed" state vs the ACT springs and the other newer Sig mags.  
Ordered some new springs for the old ones, left the newer ones as-is.

Average relaxed length of the "tired" springs: 6.25"
Average relaxed length of the other springs: 7.5"
Average relaxed length of the NEW springs: 8.25"

Made it out to the range this weekend with the new springs.  100% functionality, ran 4 full magazines full through each of the units that has a new spring.

I know deep down we all know that magazine springs ARE a wear item, but definitely one that I rarely (if ever) think about.  I'm just glad that my FTF was an easy fix and wanted to share, hopefully save the next guy some heartache!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 12:18:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Good catch! In all the Sig videos on cleaning they talk about taking apart and cleaning the mags. I think I may have done that once .... ever...My 220 is about 20 years old and would certainly warrent a check. My 226 is less than a year, still might do it out of curiosity.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 5:13:05 PM EDT
[#2]
It's always critical for .45s to keep on top of the mag springs.  They're pushing up a lot of weight, and the round benefits from more tension against the feedlips so it doesn't slide forward under recoil (AKA stop inertia feeding).
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:23:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By fks4l:
I know deep down we all know that magazine springs ARE a wear item, but definitely one that I rarely (if ever) think about.
View Quote

Unfortunately, most people, including SIG, consider the magazine itself to be a wear item. SIG doesn’t sell magazine springs separately, since they expect you to just buy new mags (at $34-$55 each). The only place I’ve seen OEM P320 mag springs for sale is Ben Stoeger Pro Shop.

I’d like to see them sell multipacks of factory magazine springs.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 1:48:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Mag springs are definitely wear items. In the field you can stretch them back out but obviously when you get to that point they are past due for replacement. Wolff makes mag springs for a bunch of guns and there stuff is pretty good.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 11:18:02 AM EDT
[#5]
The replacement springs were from Wolff. Ordered direct from them,  shipping was reasonable and had them in hand 4 days from order date.

Happy to report another successful range trip. Ran each mag 5x through, varied shooting speed and 3 different ammo types, not a single hiccup.

I'd call this problem solved
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top