Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/8/2023 10:45:54 AM EDT
Good day all. I’ve recently discovered that the px4 is an ideal gun for my needs and was able to find a new old stock compact that I have been thoroughly enjoying. For those who have had both of these versions can you please comment on the actual difference between them. Looking at the specs it seems that there is very little difference between the two and now that the subcompact has been discontinued I would like to know if it would make sense to track down a subcompact for a smaller carry gun. Any experience with this or general PX4 knowledge you’d like to share would be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 10/8/2023 10:53:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/8/2023 10:55:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/8/2023 3:42:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Buckeye33:
Good day all. I’ve recently discovered that the px4 is an ideal gun for my needs and... I have been thoroughly enjoying.
... I would like to know if it would make sense to track down a subcompact for a smaller carry gun. Any experience with this or general PX4 knowledge you’d like to share would be greatly appreciated.
View Quote

I do not have both and only have the subcompact model.
If your current PX4 is ideal and you are enjoying it, I would say getting the subcompact may not be worth it.  Unless you are short like me
Work had me with a Glock 19 (similar size to PX4 compact), so I carried it all the time just to make things easier.  When I retired I ditched the Glock and went back to my PX4 subcompact.  I was glad to be back with the smaller pistol, but I'm only 5'7"
I never had a problem concealing the G19, but my subcompact is even better.  The sight radius is smaller and that's my only complaint.  I have an Alien Gear tuck holster with a subcompact shell and can carry it on a 19 hour road trip with no discomfort.
If someone local to you has a subcompact, maybe try it out first and see if it works for you.
Link Posted: 10/9/2023 6:57:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the info I appreciate it. Unfortunately any PX4 is scarce around here so it was just dumb luck that I found a new old stock compact. The only subcompact I’ve found is about 3 hours away and used so I’ll have to wait until next month when I’m going that way. I just wanted to handle one to see if it would be marginally better for carrying than what I have.
Link Posted: 10/9/2023 8:51:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Looking strictly at size, it may be a better carry option, but I hated the one I shot and it completely negates the draw to the PX4 which is the rotating barrel. There are much better options for subcompact handguns.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 6:35:59 AM EDT
[#6]
I cant stand the subcompact PX4.  The one I shot had harsh recoil and was a huge turn off
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 3:41:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Sheepdog324] [#7]
I have all three sizes and multiple calibers. I actually like the subcompact. It's a really good running gun for me. I like the manual safety, it's small enough to conceal. Downsides are it's essentially a steel softball wherever you're carrying it (not super awkward, but you notice), and the mags are getting harder to find (but it also takes all the other Px4 ones.

Edit:
- Just wanted to add, like some people have alluded to above, it's basically a different gun from the full-sized/compact that just happens to take Px4 mags.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 11:27:00 PM EDT
[#8]
There isn't a huge difference in physical size and weight. I am kind of wishing I had purchased the the Compact rather than the Sub. May be next on the "guns I want" list.

Link Posted: 3/31/2024 6:22:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Buckeye33:
Good day all. I’ve recently discovered that the px4 is an ideal gun for my needs and was able to find a new old stock compact that I have been thoroughly enjoying. For those who have had both of these versions can you please comment on the actual difference between them. Looking at the specs it seems that there is very little difference between the two and now that the subcompact has been discontinued I would like to know if it would make sense to track down a subcompact for a smaller carry gun. Any experience with this or general PX4 knowledge you’d like to share would be greatly appreciated.
View Quote

I have a compact in 9 and really like it. It’s definitely smaller than other compacts like the Glock 19 very easy to carry IWB and shoots well even with 124gr+P HST.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 4:00:26 PM EDT
[#10]
I just got a new Px4 compact in 9mm.
I got it because of reasonably okay experience with the full size in 40cal.
It is a good fit.
Previous reviews I'd read brought up that the subcompact lacked the rotating barrel, which is a feature I prefer (having they rotating barrel).
Haven't shot it yet, and I'm having trouble finding anything but 10 round California mags for it.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 4:27:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Only place I've been able to find the 13-rd ones.

GunMagWarehouse
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top