Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/16/2023 11:09:52 AM EDT
I seem to have some sort of lucky streak happening the last few months, in that I keep running up on random good deals on PX4s. Before I left for training two months ago, I found a well used but still very solid PX4 full sized for $300 OTD, and just a week ago, a LNIB PX4 full sized  with two extra mags for $400 OTD.

Of course I snagged them both, and yesterday I shot the LNIB specimen and found the difference between it and my Glock 19 almost startling. The PX4 shoots, handles and feels like a million bucks, and doesn’t rub calluses in the knuckle of my middle finger like the Glock. The DA/SA trigger is worlds better than the eternal “cap gun” feel of the Glock, and I could go on.

I’m continually surprised that these guns never really “caught on” like so many other handguns that, quite frankly, compare somewhat poorly to the PX4.

Link Posted: 12/16/2023 12:06:57 PM EDT
[#1]
A friend of mine has a Langdon Tactical worked over PX4.  I’s a really nice gun and shoots like a dream.  They look chunky in pics, but I was surprised how nice it feels in the hand.
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 2:55:01 PM EDT
[#2]
The PX4 has been a real revelation to me and I consider it a truly fine handgun.  I did add a Talon grip and made it decock-only.  Really like the rotary barrel and its effect on recoil.  

Link Posted: 12/16/2023 3:02:53 PM EDT
[#3]
I am not a good shot, ok at best.

The PX4 in my hands is a laser.
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 4:45:39 PM EDT
[#4]
I've recently jumped into the PX4 compact.  Enjoying the pistol, well two pistols, and sent one out to LTT for the optics cut, barrel recrown, and have installed a 12# spring, along with the LTT OTB.
The pistol has been running great, and I'm digging how it shoots.  I need a ton of time behind the trigger before I'd say that I shoot it as well as my 92x Centurion.

What I don't like about it is the grip.  It is very slick, with minimal traction;
A comment I hear from others as well.  Tried Talons, meh.  Tried another from ebay;  Better, but still meh.

Took the leap, and did a bit of stipple today.  Much better.

Decided to ease in with the stipple.  it's a light, almost grip-tape feel, and I'll find out how it feels shooting tomorrow.
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 6:28:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes, small sample size at one event.

Went to a handgun class and the PX4's that people brought, constantly jammed and for the entire day, not a single one could go more than 2 rounds without jamming. Soured me on them since then.

Wish you well with them.
Link Posted: 12/17/2023 1:29:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By wganz:

Went to a handgun class and the PX4's that people brought, constantly jammed and for the entire day, not a single one could go more than 2 rounds without jamming. Soured me on them since then.

Wish you well with them.
View Quote

Funny you should mention malfunctions;

My Glock 19 had a “dead trigger” failure to fire and ejected a live round after I did immediate action. Striker didn’t reset during one string.

PX4 ran flawlessly the whole day.

Conclusive? Hardly. As you said, small sample size at one event, kinda like the class you attended.

I think my PX4s will do just fine.
Link Posted: 12/17/2023 1:47:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/17/2023 10:22:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Picked up a full size a year ago.  I like it.  Mine has been reliable, decently accurate and pleasant to shoot.
Link Posted: 12/17/2023 10:53:50 AM EDT
[#9]

Wish you well with them.
View Quote

I don't believe that for a second, no more than 2 rounds? PX4's are always reported as being extremely reliable, and run just about anything without failures. Mine has been 100% for years as well as being the most accurate handgun I have. There is more to that story or it is an exaggeration.
Link Posted: 12/17/2023 11:19:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Steamedliver:
I am not a good shot, ok at best.

The PX4 in my hands is a laser.
View Quote

Same here, most accurate handgun I ever shot.  

Reason I reluctantly got rid of it is the safety is the opposite of a 1911 and I feared that muscle memory would fail me if I ever needed it.  
You have to push it up to fire.  Opposite of every pistol I ever owned.  

It was an incredibly accurate firearm.
Link Posted: 12/17/2023 11:20:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: diamondd817] [#11]
Originally Posted By doubleclaw:
I seem to have some sort of lucky streak happening the last few months, in that I keep running up on random good deals on PX4s. Before I left for training two months ago, I found a well used but still very solid PX4 full sized for $300 OTD, and just a week ago, a LNIB PX4 full sized  with two extra mags for $400 OTD.

Of course I snagged them both, and yesterday I shot the LNIB specimen and found the difference between it and my Glock 19 almost startling. The PX4 shoots, handles and feels like a million bucks, and doesn’t rub calluses in the knuckle of my middle finger like the Glock. The DA/SA trigger is worlds better than the eternal “cap gun” feel of the Glock, and I could go on.

I’m continually surprised that these guns never really “caught on” like so many other handguns that, quite frankly, compare somewhat poorly to the PX4.

View Quote

If you really want to have a nice trigger, upgrade to the Beretta Competition Trigger Group, add the Langdon LTT Trigger Bar and the PX4 D Spring.  That's what I did to my PX4 FS and my PX4 Compact. Wow is all I can say.

And of course, install the Stealth/Low Pro decocker and slide stop Tyge G Conversion from Beretta.
Link Posted: 12/17/2023 11:35:48 AM EDT
[#12]
We are in an amazing era in which if a handgun is being manufactured by a legitimate company, it’s going to work the vast majority of the time and probably be plenty durable if it’s a gun designed and sold for professional use.

Pretty awesome. Old timers will wax poetic about the hand fitted steel frames of their old handguns, and they’re certainly not wrong. But they’ll probably skip over the part about half of the guns not running except in very specific circumstances and with specific (not optimal) ammo and parts needing hand fitting and magazines not being available or made to spec or being garbage from the factory.
Link Posted: 12/17/2023 12:31:20 PM EDT
[#13]
I’m a recent convert to the PX4. My only complaint is that I wish I had discovered this model earlier. I would have saved a lot of money searching for my ideal handgun. I now have one in each size, with the compact being my favorite. I have some of the LTT goodies sitting on my bench awaiting a rainy day. One tip for anyone looking at these is that there is not enough difference between the subcompact and the compact to forego the rotating barrel. I did get a subcompact in 40 just because it was such a good price but in hindsight I would have been better off getting another compact.
Fabulous guns.
Link Posted: 12/17/2023 2:10:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Currently:

Reason I reluctantly got rid of it is the safety is the opposite of a 1911 and I feared that muscle memory would fail me if I ever needed it.  

View Quote

Coming from years of carrying a Colt Rail Gun every day, I had some initial thoughts about muscle memory, etc, but once I started carrying the PX4 with the safety in the up position, that became a non-issue.

Just press the old “crunchenticker” and go to work.

It’s not gonna go off by itself under any conceivable circumstances, because the firing pin safety is de-activated by the transfer bar moving to push the plunger up out of the way when the trigger is fully actuated. The gun cannot fire without that plunger out of the way, even if you drop it or kick hell out of it.

And yes, it is amazingly accurate and smooth shooting. They turn up in my area pretty regularly for less than $400 in serviceable condition, and represent a real bargain, considering what you get for the money.

Link Posted: 12/18/2023 8:19:04 PM EDT
[#15]
I got a killer deal on a nib full size last year at 300 bucks plus tax. It seem like prices are edging up a bit new on them now to the 400-500 dollar range new.

I got very close to getting a rdo cut for it with ltt sale especially since i just got a 407c in the mail. I should had at least bought the trigger bar.

Like other have said besides the grip it's a nice gun although I'm still torn about picking up some kind of cz.
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 12:35:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AZYoungGun] [#16]

View Quote

You’re using the slide safety wrong. :) Ernest Langdon has a good video on the proper way to use the safety on a Beretta, using a downward sweep of the thumb like you would on a 1911 (or very similarly). But honestly, convert any future Berettas to G models and reap the benefits of a much improved system!

And for those saying the PX4 is unreliable, that was likely either running them too dry (PX4s like to be run pretty wet) or possibly a damaged cam block. They’ll run a LOOONG time when properly maintained!
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 1:29:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By AZYoungGun:

You’re using the slide safety wrong. :) Ernest Langdon has a good video on the proper way to use the safety on a Beretta, using a downward sweep of the thumb like you would on a 1911 (or very similarly). But honestly, convert any future Berettas to G models and reap the benefits of a much improved system!

And for those saying the PX4 is unreliable, that was likely either running them too dry (PX4s like to be run pretty wet) or possibly a damaged cam block. They’ll run a LOOONG time when properly maintained!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

The PX4 I had you had to PUSH UP the safety to fire the pistol.   Pulling it down with the thumb ENGAGED the safety.  

What you wrote does not make any sense to me.  If the safety was like a 1911, I’d a kept it.  
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 4:09:48 PM EDT
[#18]

The PX4 I had you had to PUSH UP the safety to fire the pistol.   Pulling it down with the thumb ENGAGED the safety.  

What you wrote does not make any sense to me.  If the safety was like a 1911, I’d a kept it.  
View Quote

The safety on these is kinda unnecessary, which is why a lot of people swap the levers out for G conversions, which turn the pistols to de-cocker only.

The DA trigger is itself a safety feature that works in conjunction with the passive firing pin safety.

You can safely carry these guns with the safety off, and that eliminates the need to disengage the lever before firing. That’s a useless extra step. I’ve carried M9s, 92s and other DA/SA autos for decades without the safety levers engaged, and have never had, and do not ever expect to have any kind of accidental/negligent discharge.

The passive safety features on these guns are more than adequate to the task.
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 5:00:31 PM EDT
[#19]
I have mentioned it here before but this seems a good place to do it again: Beretta itself makes some really nice Italian-made leather holsters for these (and other of their) pistols, and you don’t have to wait weeks for delivery, either.

Link Posted: 12/19/2023 11:01:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AZYoungGun] [#20]

View Quote

Read and learn, grasshopper:

The RIGHT way to deactivate a Beretta slide safety.

Now watch:

https://youtu.be/krR1hirk_4A?si=lcDV8ZMl58ju_5NP

Having owned in excess of two dozen different Beretta pistols with slide safeties and/or decockers, I’m well aware of how the safety works and is designed, as well as how much of the general population is using it wrong lol.

But the TRUE answer is the G conversion. You only need a decocker on a DA/SA.
Link Posted: 12/25/2023 2:14:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Tirador223:
I have mentioned it here before but this seems a good place to do it again: Beretta itself makes some really nice Italian-made leather holsters for these (and other of their) pistols, and you don’t have to wait weeks for delivery, either.

https://i.imgur.com/kcyby2J.jpg

View Quote

The only thing that keeps me from pulling the trigger on one of those is not knowing what size the belt loops are.

I wear 1.75” belts exclusively, so if they have different sized loops I’d be all over it.
Link Posted: 12/29/2023 9:55:41 PM EDT
[#22]

Wish you well with them.
View Quote

Some people don’t properly clean and lube thier guns.
Link Posted: 12/29/2023 10:13:01 PM EDT
[#23]
I really want to try one of these but I can never find a used one at a good price.  My LGS has one right now for $600.  It’s a consignment gun and it’s been there over a year.  I discussed with the owner of the shop that I can buy a new one considerably cheaper online.  He shrugged and said he has to ask what the guy wants.

I wonder if they would have “taken off” better back in the day if Beretta used 92 series mags in them?
Link Posted: 1/4/2024 6:42:29 PM EDT
[#24]
I finally found a deal on a minty used 9mm compact version for $399 out the door.  It’s the black/gray version.  Love the way it feels.
Link Posted: 1/4/2024 7:24:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Southrnshooter:
I really want to try one of these but I can never find a used one at a good price.  My LGS has one right now for $600.  It's a consignment gun and it's been there over a year.  I discussed with the owner of the shop that I can buy a new one considerably cheaper online.  He shrugged and said he has to ask what the guy wants.

I wonder if they would have "taken off" better back in the day if Beretta used 92 series mags in them?
View Quote
Sent you a pm
Link Posted: 1/4/2024 8:03:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Rbass:

I don't believe that for a second, no more than 2 rounds? PX4's are always reported as being extremely reliable, and run just about anything without failures. Mine has been 100% for years as well as being the most accurate handgun I have. There is more to that story or it is an exaggeration.
View Quote

I did state it was a small sample size. Could have been that couple brought some trash range ammo for that class.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 3:09:18 PM EDT
[#27]
I had a full size that I put the stealth decocker on

Wasn't a bad pistol but once I got my CZ P-09 I didn't shoot it as much as I did before

My only gripe about them are the proprietary magazines
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 3:17:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: R0N] [#28]
It has a weird recoil impulse, needs skate board tape added to remove some of the  slipperiness of the grip, but it is very accurate
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 6:44:35 PM EDT
[#29]
My son is a big fan of the PX4. He has a full size in .40 cal.
I offered to get him a 92, or a Beretta Cheetah, or even a CZ75, but he was adamant he likes his PX4.
So I made him a holster for it and called it a day.
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 11:10:16 PM EDT
[#30]
I've said this for years. I've had the Full Size 45acp SD and the compact 9mm for several years. Both are dead reliable. Recoil management is great. Ergos are pretty good if not great. They are fantastic pistols, especially for someone like me who prefers SA/DA's.

The only downside for me is suppressor compatibility. Not saying you cant run a can on a PX4 but i don't try it and i haven't seen anyone who has like it much.

All in all i don't ever see myself parting with them.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 1:12:06 AM EDT
[#31]
Langdon announced a new bull barrel version in 9mm. I cannot tell exactly if this is going to be a factory Beretta gun or an LTT only model. Either way seems pretty rad and also announcing some cool new aftermarket mods as well.

Link Posted: 1/22/2024 5:29:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: polishkebasa] [#32]
Originally Posted By JonnieHammaStix:
Langdon announced a new bull barrel version in 9mm. I cannot tell exactly if this is going to be a factory Beretta gun or an LTT only model. Either way seems pretty rad and also announcing some cool new aftermarket mods as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzuYTI-8qxo
View Quote

Looks rad , I've been enjoying my full size px4 , I saw a well used compact for 425 and a pawn shop which interested me but I was too much for me although it seems prices are creeping up on these.

The comp seems cool, my ideal compensated px4 would be a full size slide with a compact barrel and the comp cut in the slide similar to some of the sig guns. Doubt I will ever see it though

Now to decide if it's worth it to get a regular px4 cut when the gsd is coming out
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 4:07:23 AM EDT
[#33]
Been selling guns for years, but it took me 12 years to buy a PX4. Loved it when I first got it, very pleasant and low recoil impulse. Strangely enough though after dry firing it a few times the slide gets stuck in battery. I have to take it apart and put the slide back on and it is fine. No binding without the bbl and guide rod assembly. Can't figure it out, it is oiled and has seen a few hundred rounds. Only work is a LTT rmr cut. Anybody, any ideas?
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 5:14:20 PM EDT
[#34]
I really prefer its predecessor…. The 8000 Cougar. I just wished the would have engineered it to us 92/m9 mags…. Although a drimel and few minutes fixes that …. Really nice with the newer 18rd mags.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 5:24:25 PM EDT
[#35]
So I dove headlong into the compact, wanting it to be my G19 or comparable.... One of was sent out to LTT for the red dot and the works.

I just couldn't make them work for me.
Sent them on down the road on a trade.
My beretta will continue to be a well worn m9a1 compact.
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 5:49:00 PM EDT
[#36]
I got a used .45 auto PX4, love shooting it. I'm debating on whether to look for a 9mm version, but as I already bought 2 9mm pistols, I'm really holding off for now. Maybe if I'm unlucky and find a used one in a gun shop for a good price.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 9:00:44 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Wandering_minstrel:
I got a used .45 auto PX4, love shooting it. I'm debating on whether to look for a 9mm version, but as I already bought 2 9mm pistols, I'm really holding off for now. Maybe if I'm unlucky and find a used one in a gun shop for a good price.
View Quote

I’m considering a .45 PX4 myself. Are you liking it so far?
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 9:54:44 PM EDT
[#38]
I’m a fan. Talon grips and a 12 lb mainspring make a big difference. Knock the ball bearing out of the safety and you have a G model.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 1:17:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jiajihu] [#39]
Make sure clean and lube the barrel locking lug area
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 8:51:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: lilMAC25] [#40]

Now watch:

Having owned in excess of two dozen different Beretta pistols with slide safeties and/or decockers, I’m well aware of how the safety works and is designed, as well as how much of the general population is using it wrong lol.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Now watch:

Video made hot
The Right Way to Operate a Beretta Manual Safety
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 9:43:38 AM EDT
[#41]
Damn shame they kicked the Cougar over to Stoeger.  Same op system, metal frame.  The 8040G was created largely at the request of the PD I worked for then the dept dropped it two years later when they moved towards polymer guns. The 8040 recoil felt more like a 9mm so I imagine the felt recoil reduction is the same with the PX4 line. That said, after recently shooting my dad's 92 series that saw 30 years of service with a nicely broken in trigger, I'm still more likely to buy a 92FS.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 3:16:16 PM EDT
[#42]
Prior to buying my CZ 75, I have a 19X, shot it well enough. But I found a used PX4 in .45 that was at a good deal, and even got it better because the gunshop was like, "Yeah, it a meh gun, people dont like it, Ill knock some off for ya."

I think the people that dont like this gun are seriously retarded, sir. There is barely recoil in the hand, even better than a cousin's Springfield 1911. Hell, it shot better than my 19X.

Seriously considering finding on in either 9mm or .40 S&W, and seeing about getting it done up.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 3:38:52 PM EDT
[#43]
I ended up picking up a Px4 Compact in 9mm.
Then had to struggle to find magazines that weren't just 10 rounds.
Can't say if I'll ever carry it. Maybe, maybe not.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top