Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/23/2024 8:46:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Capt_Jerry]
I have the RIA BBR 3.10 45 ACP that came with a ported barrel.  The problem is the ports exit vertically and one is very close to the front sight and clouds it with residue after a few magazines have been run.

As they do not offer a non-ported barrel I am considering plugging the holes.  Perhaps Devcon or J B Weld may work.  The other alternative is have them TiG welded.  Has anyone done this type of modification?  I am opened to suggestions.

Link Posted: 3/23/2024 9:24:13 AM EDT
[#1]
It would be a lot cleaner and easier to have a gunsmith fit a new barrel.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 9:48:58 AM EDT
[#2]
I can confidently recommend tapping the holes and plugging with screws. Obviously, make sure they don't protrude into the bore. I've done this for tuning integrally suppressed designs.

Cap screws will ensure the plugs can't work their way in or you can peen grubs.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 9:50:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Drill and tap for set screws?  I don't think any consumer grade epoxy would hold up.  Maybe belzona 1111 would hold up, but for the cost of that you could buy a new barrel.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 2:14:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Sell the pistol and buy one without ports.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 5:42:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Tap and thread in screws no epoxy will hold that kind of heat and pressure
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 2:40:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By RogueSpear2023:
Tap and thread in screws no epoxy will hold that kind of heat and pressure
View Quote

@RogueSpear2023
I managed to tap the three port holes with a 6-32 tap.  The thread engagement is about 2 threads as the wall of the receiver is not very thick.  Hopefully they should hold up under pressure.  I'll give a function report after my next range session.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 11:01:58 AM EDT
[#7]
The only real option would be to tap it for a set screw and then weld over the set screw

When barrel would come drilled in parts kits thats many a times how they were fixed
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 11:04:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By User55645:
I can confidently recommend tapping the holes and plugging with screws. Obviously, make sure they don't protrude into the bore. I've done this for tuning integrally suppressed designs.

Cap screws will ensure the plugs can't work their way in or you can peen grubs.
View Quote

This.

Works great.  No special tools aside from a small tap (cheap), and matching recessed Allan head tiny machine screw stubby.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 9:52:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1MRBEAN] [#9]
delete
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top