Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/19/2024 9:19:22 AM EDT
If anyone here has read my comments in other threads you know I’ve gone far, far down the rabbit hole in regard to Tisas 1911’s. I’ve always been a 1911 fan and bought my first, a Colt Stainless Series 80 Government Model over 40 years ago. I still own it but it was long aging modified for IPSC competition and while a joy to shoot, the comp and very light trigger makes it sub optimal for carry. After the Colt has come many other 1911’s: More Colt’s ,Springfields, Kimbers, Rock Islands Para etc.  I guess you could say I really like the platform.

Last year I saw the WW II configuration model on sale for $300 at PSA. And since none of my others were any longer in that “dead stock, as issued” configuration I added another to the stable figuring it would be a one off and only fired during fits of nostalgia. I was so very wrong: After handling and firing it I was absolutely blown away at the quality of it. It looked like something that would have been issued to a soldier 75 years ago but also had closer tolerances and a better trigger than any I was ever issued in uniform. I was actually able to shoot very, very accurately with it.

Long story short: PSA, among others, keeps putting Tisas on sale at unbelievable prices so I now own nine with number ten on the way as of last night (PSA strikes again). With all nine of these there have had no issues with fail to feed, accuracy, or trigger pull, pretty much anything save this: Two of the nine have very weak plunger springs. Now in both cases, I just gave the string a little stretch and that rectified the problem. I know that’s not an ideal long term solution so I do have new springs on order and will install them when they arrive. Additionally, I read another members post that while they liked the pistols, they felt that ALL the factory springs were weak.

That brings me to my question(s): Have others experienced a problem with the plunger springs? Does anyone else feel other springs should be replaced? I’m just curious if there were perhaps a small batch of bad springs or if it is a more widespread problem.

Thanks in Advance

Link Posted: 1/20/2024 8:38:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes, first thing I did was replace the plunger, recoil, and firing pin springs on my service special.  The plunger spring was noticeably weak.  I would have replaced the mainspring too if I had an extra one.  I don’t have any evidence, but I wonder about the quality and specs of the springs Tisas is using.  No big deal for me, as I had extra springs on hand.

How about your extractors?  I dropped in a Wilson bulletproof to replace the OEM extractor.  The original was functioning, but ejection was erratic and the hook was too long, contacting the shoulder of the 45acp casing.  I found it easier to replace it with a known quality part than to try to tune it.  

Having said this, I’m very happy with my service special.  I’m wondering if their more expensive models have better extractor fitting though.
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 10:54:03 AM EDT
[#2]
I have 5 Tisas. The worst plunger spring is in the most expensive one, the Duty B45G. I'm replacing that one. The others are equal to my Sig and Springfield. I can't comment on the extractors as I haven't fired them enough. The worst plunger spring I had was on my Colt LW Commander.
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 6:29:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Only difference in ejection I’ve noticed on any of them is the Raider. It kicks them out at 3:00 or slightly forward of that.
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 11:22:11 PM EDT
[#4]
I replaced every spring in my Tisas Carry (commander).

Plunger spring was visibly thinner and weaker than the Wolff replacement.
So was the Firing Pin spring.

Factory Mainspring and Recoil spring seemed to have their weights flipped vs correct weights.
It was striker gun hard to rack the the slide.  And the hammer was overly easy to thumb cock.
Sear spring was also overly thick metal and heavy.
Lost 1.5lbs on the trigger pull, 4.5 vs 6 lbs, ditching it.

I never fired the pistol before swapping all of the springs.
It's been 100% though.

Link Posted: 1/21/2024 7:48:13 AM EDT
[#5]
On the subject of springs, what are you guys replacing them with and where are you buying them?
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 9:40:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 6:15:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Bullet_:
Wolff.

https://www.gunsprings.com

View Quote

Thanks for the link. I like the fact they have 10 pacs at a great price. I’ll be ordering plunger springs and probably firing pin springs at a minimum. Any idea how their sear springs compare to Ed Brown’s? I put one of those in my stainless Carry model and it’s right at a 3lbs pull so figured my other Tisas’s would benefit there as well
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 8:16:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Ed Brown is relabled Wolff AFAIK. But don't quote me on it.

-------
You'll get a much better answer on who makes what brands of 1911 springs starting a thread in our 1911 forum.

Several top end 1911 builders regularly post there.

Link Posted: 1/21/2024 10:06:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Bullet_:
Ed Brown is relabled Wolff AFAIK. But don't quote me on it.

-------
You'll get a much better answer on who makes what brands of 1911 springs starting a thread in our 1911 forum.

Several top end 1911 builders regularly post there.

View Quote

Roger and thank you. I’m very new to the Tisas world and had no idea how active the sub forum was. Similarly, no idea if the 1911 forum would have anything positive to say about the brand. I need to get out of GD and start paying attention to my areas of interest
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 10:53:39 PM EDT
[#10]
I have 3 Tisas and replaced them all with Wilson Combat spring/plunger sets. Not absolutely necessary, but the safety is a bit more positive now.

Also did the recoil springs. The oem recoil springs were a bit shorter and maybe slightly lighter than the Wilson Combat GI spec replacements. IIRC, I went with a 10lb in my 9mm. Again, all were 100% outta the box.

My 45's and the 9mm came with titanium pins, and with short and lightweight FP springs. I replaced the FP springs with Wilson Combat regular strength FP springs. Haven't taken them out to ops check them since this change. But they all still launch a pencil vertically toward the ceiling LOL.
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 3:21:53 PM EDT
[#11]
I dont think there are much difference between Quality Vendors aftermarket springs and I believe they are all made by either wolff or ISMI...

Now to Tisas. Have yet to have a problem with TISAS springs but I havent put 500 rounds through any of them yet before they got changed.

One of the first things I do is change the Recoil and Mainspring on ANY 1911 I buy because I tune them to ME. I also install EGW Oversize Flat bottom Firing pin stops because clocking extractors are a problem waiting to happen and it makes no sense to "tune" an extractor thats moving all over. That happens regardless who's name is on the side and also generally allows me to run a lighter recoil spring and, depending on what I am doing, running a higher rate or lower rate mainspring.

I also dont get bent out of shape if my safety dosent alert the world that it has been moved. But I havent seen that issue with the TISAS Plunger springs.

I also tune the Sear spring and polish all the interfaces and may mod it so it doesnt move in the frame (trigger work is easier and more consistant that way)

Link Posted: 1/28/2024 7:52:26 PM EDT
[#12]
What weight recoil spring are you guys using?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top