Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/26/2024 10:29:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Advance]
Just picked up a 4.25" Prodigy and it is displaying some odd behavior. No aftermarket parts. If you pull the hammer, you go into a "1/4 cock" where the safety does not work but the trigger does. Pulling through to 1/2 cock, everything works as intended. Pulling even further to full cock, everything is 100% in working order. Grip safety works in all three modes. I dissembled the frame and made sure the sear spring left tine was applying pressure and sitting on the sear and middle tine was applying pressure to the disconnector ramp.

I now own three 2011s and I have never seen this behavior. So the 1911/2011's have 3 sear shelves?

Video of issue:

SA Prodigy 4.25" with "1/4 cock" issue
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 12:33:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Mine does not do that with the EGW ignition kit.  None should do it I think.
Used gun?
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 2:02:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Mine is stock and I don't recall it doing this.  However I will admit I've never attempted to go to 1/4 cock.  I'll attempt this tonight.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 3:59:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Prodigy hammers do appear to have 3 sear shelves on them. This is the OEM hammer that was taken out of my 5". Note that the Extreme Engineering ignition kit currently in that gun does not exhibit such behavior.

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 5:46:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sommere54] [#4]
Originally Posted By Advance:
Just picked up a 4.25" Prodigy and it is displaying some odd behavior. No aftermarket parts. If you pull the hammer, you go into a "1/4 cock" where the safety does no work but the trigger does. Pulling through to 1/2 cock, everything works as intended. Pulling even further to full cock, everything is 100% in working order. Grip safety works in all three modes. I dissembled the frame and made sure the sear spring left tine was applying pressure and sitting on the sear and middle tine was applying pressure to the disconnector ramp.

I now own three 2011s and I have never seen this behavior. So the 1911/2011's have 3 sear shelves?

Video of issue:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeqCDSrzNbs
View Quote

Just checked mine (which is stock) and it exhibits the same behavior. I can’t think of it ever being a problem for me, though.

I just had it completely apart last weekend and should have looked at the hammer/sear a little more closely, but the post above seems to address the root cause.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 7:04:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Advance] [#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ARgunner0210:
Prodigy hammers do appear to have 3 sear shelves on them. This is the OEM hammer that was taken out of my 5". Note that the Extreme Engineering ignition kit currently in that gun does not exhibit such behavior.

https://i.imgur.com/0o2k7iRl.jpg
View Quote

Interesting. I thought I was taking crazy pills for a sec.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:19:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -CRW-] [#6]
Yep, my Prodigy did it as well before I swapped out the internals.  The hammer design SA uses has what is called a “safety stop”.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 12:09:17 AM EDT
[#7]
I think all springfield do this. Read your manual that should have come with your gun.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 4:20:56 PM EDT
[#8]
I just got one today and it does this.  Half cocked "safety" feature starts on page 28.

https://support.springfield-armory.com/manuals/1911-ds-manual
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 12:01:23 AM EDT
[#9]
The hammer shouldn't fall when the trigger is pulled on the first hammer notch. It has a hook that is supposed to prevent this. It's a safety feature
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 12:29:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Teller_Ulam:
The hammer shouldn't fall when the trigger is pulled on the first hammer notch. It has a hook that is supposed to prevent this. It's a safety feature
View Quote

Mine...
Falls on the 1st when trigger is pulled.
Does not fall on the 2nd when trigger is pulled.
Falls on the 3rd when trigger is pulled.

Link Posted: 4/23/2024 12:47:40 PM EDT
[#11]
All of my Springfields have the 3-notch hammer - totally normal for them. I guess someone thought it would be a safety feature at one point.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top