Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/22/2024 3:24:45 PM EDT
New Prodigy 4.25 has a gritty and stiff mag release.  Not a huge deal but I'd like to clean it up.  someone in another thread said he had the same and trimmed a coil off the spring.

Other solutions?  Should I just replace it or do I get it out and look to sand any noticeable burs?
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 7:43:14 PM EDT
[#1]
You can pull it out and make sure there are no burrs or flashing in the grip module that would be hanging it up, but on mine none of that made a difference.

I skipped the spring coil clipping and just bought a Dawson mag release when I picked up the tool-less guide rod, which was a big improvement. Nothing to really lose by trying to adjust/modify the factory spring, though - worst case you have to get a new spring or opt for the Dawson out of necessity.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 8:23:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By sommere54:
You can pull it out and make sure there are no burrs or flashing in the grip module that would be hanging it up, but on mine none of that made a difference.

I skipped the spring coil clipping and just bought a Dawson mag release when I picked up the tool-less guide rod, which was a big improvement. Nothing to really lose by trying to adjust/modify the factory spring, though - worst case you have to get a new spring or opt for the Dawson out of necessity.
View Quote

Yeah, I think you're right.   Dawson guide rod is arriving this week.  I also impulse bought an EGW ignition kit.  I'm going to try and clean up the mag release with light sanding then go from there to see if a spring trimming might help.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:59:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By DV8EDD:

Yeah, I think you're right.   Dawson guide rod is arriving this week.  I also impulse bought an EGW ignition kit.  I'm going to try and clean up the mag release with light sanding then go from there to see if a spring trimming might help.
View Quote

Don’t start by sanding the mag catch. Remove the spring and spring guide from the mag catch and see if it moves freely in the frame.

Like mentioned above, if it hangs up check for burrs on the polymer grip module before any sanding or filing.

If the mag catch does move freely, the only parts you might need to sand would be the mag catch spring guide or the channel it rides in within the mag catch.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 8:19:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By -CRW-:

Don’t start by sanding the mag catch. Remove the spring and spring guide from the mag catch and see if it moves freely in the frame.

Like mentioned above, if it hangs up check for burrs on the polymer grip module before any sanding or filing.

If the mag catch does move freely, the only parts you might need to sand would be the mag catch spring guide or the channel it rides in within the mag catch.
View Quote

copy that, thanks guys.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 2:46:53 PM EDT
[#5]
it appears it was the locking screw.  It had some burr at the tip.  Gave that and the channel a little attention and clipped about 1 coil off the spring.  Now it's approaching chef's kiss territory.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 8:28:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By DV8EDD:
it appears it was the locking screw.  It had some burr at the tip.  Gave that and the channel a little attention and clipped about 1 coil off the spring.  Now it's approaching chef's kiss territory.
View Quote

Good deal.

Often times things are simpler than what we initially think they may be.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 8:23:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By sommere54:

Good deal.

Often times things are simpler than what we initially think they may be.
View Quote

Indeed.  It's been many years since I owned a 1911 so I'm still coming back up to speed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top