Link Posted: 3/2/2024 4:49:27 PM EDT
[#1]
In on one.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 5:36:42 PM EDT
[#2]
FIRES UP DREMEL
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 5:45:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Needs a dot, comp, and mag—er, cyclinder well.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 5:55:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Oh yeah, in for another desecration build.  
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 5:56:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By bluedog82:
Needs a dot, comp, and mag er, cyclinder well.
View Quote
Pic rails welded to each side of the barrel with kydex spare cylinder holders attached.
Top mounted WML with the optic on a Unity riser.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 10:07:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By bluedog82:
Needs a dot, comp, and mag—er, cyclinder well.
View Quote

You’re pretty close.

So quite obviously this is a Remington 1858 Model New Army black powder cap and ball percussion reproduction revolver, this particular one made by Pietta. It’s the 5.5” stainless steel model.

At the same time I ordered the Taylor’s .45 Colt conversion cylinder for the gun cause I have exactly zero interest in black powder or percussion revolvers, but I do like the look. Per my prior revolver projects, this one won’t be an exact replica of any other custom revolver but will take inspiration from modified revolvers in pop culture, books, screen, and video games. Namely we’ll be throwing in elements from the Colt SAA “Ace in the Hole” revolver from The Expendables (terrible series), the Sandalwood guns from The Dark Tower which were, themselves, modified Rem 1858s, and of course a little touch of some Cyberpunk futurism.

It’s a good thing I was planning on ditching the front sight anyway, cause the dovetailed blade had already completely slipped out of the revolver in entirety by the time I got it out of the box yesterday. Other than that I’ve given the whole thing any inspection and it appears to be solid. The conversion cylinder fits and times well without any adjustment. It’s a solid hefty little blaster
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 10:11:07 PM EDT
[#7]
In the books, Rolands (Elds guns) were called "Peacemakers"...i.e...Colts
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 10:22:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rudukai13] [#8]
Originally Posted By badguybuster:
In the books, Rolands (Elds guns) were called "Peacemakers"...i.e...Colts
View Quote

The movie is clearly better, cause they made Roland black.

Your argument is invalid
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 10:27:29 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm excited!
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 11:05:25 PM EDT
[#10]
I went ahead and ordered up some Arizona Custom Grips imitation buffalo horn/dark ivory grips with floral scrollwork engraving. The darker grip color should go well with the stainless frame/barrel and the blued conversion cylinder, and I’ll appreciate having some grip texture to hold onto.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/275720329341

Link Posted: 3/4/2024 11:30:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Oh Boy... was thinking about buying one or... well, maybe many... because I was thinking about getting into BP revolvers, but now im really interested.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 3:31:08 AM EDT
[#12]
It would be VERY hard to make Dark Tower 1858s, since they also had swing out cylinders...my son wanted one after seeing the movie, so I showed him my New Model Army to prove what they really look like.
And there is nothing wrong with the Holy Black!

Kid with afore mentioned New Model Army.

Now, having said all that, quite interested to see what you come up with, will be most interesting!
That SAA is the one Stallone carried SOB in Expendables?
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 8:06:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By armoredman:
It would be VERY hard to make Dark Tower 1858s, since they also had swing out cylinders...my son wanted one after seeing the movie, so I showed him my New Model Army to prove what they really look like.
And there is nothing wrong with the Holy Black!

Kid with afore mentioned New Model Army.

https://i.imgur.com/wa0ONY8.jpg

Now, having said all that, quite interested to see what you come up with, will be most interesting!
That SAA is the one Stallone carried SOB in Expendables?
View Quote

So if you’re familiar with my previous revolver projects, I don’t really do clone builds. I’m more interested in “inspired by” kinds of projects. It will most definitely not be completely re-worked for DA and swing-out cylinders.

The SAA I posted is Stallone’s SOB gun in the Expendables series. Like I said, terrible movies - cool gun. I’ll be borrowing the barrel porting for my build
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 8:14:10 PM EDT
[#14]

I keep accidentally making really nice BBQ guns with these revolver projects
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 8:30:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Yeah, I think you're going to need to shave down the sides of the barrels and get some scroll work on it to compliment those grips.  
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 9:30:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By sandboxmedic:
Yeah, I think you're going to need to shave down the sides of the barrels and get some scroll work on it to compliment those grips.  
View Quote

Engraving may well be in the future for this gun, but planning to do a few more functional modifications to it first

Next I need to find a short picatinny rail section that can be attached to the top strap after drilling and tapping
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 9:39:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Here we go again
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 11:01:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Got a surprise for y’all coming later this week
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 9:11:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Stonia] [#19]
Is there enough top strap meat to direct mill a red dot vs pic rail?  An aimpoint micro with the screws through the top strap would look awesome, imo.  The pic rail mounts always look excessive to me.  Tagged for what's to come.

ETA or a custom saddle for the top strap for an RMR or whatnot, anything to get away from a pic rail.
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 9:32:02 PM EDT
[#20]

The prodigal son has returned
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 9:35:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Stonia:
Is there enough top strap meat to direct mill a red dot vs pic rail?  An aimpoint micro with the screws through the top strap would look awesome, imo.  The pic rail mounts always look excessive to me.  Tagged for what's to come.

ETA or a custom saddle for the top strap for an RMR or whatnot, anything to get away from a pic rail.
View Quote

So the 1858 actually won’t be getting a red dot, per se:

It will be mounted to the top strap in the same place as an optic though
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 12:25:14 PM EDT
[#22]
View Quote

That pic makes it look like the kid blew the target's head clean off!

Link Posted: 3/23/2024 9:25:05 PM EDT
[#23]

Yes I think that will do quite nicely
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 5:51:51 PM EDT
[#24]
But we want more greebles!
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 6:40:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sandboxmedic] [#25]
Originally Posted By backbencher:
But we want more greebles!
View Quote

Definitely more greebles, but yeah, not really digging the light so far.  Not sure what it is about it; it still kinda fits with your other projects but something about it.  Maybe just the idea of losing the sights?  I think something like an old Weaver Qwik Point R-1 if you could find one, or the first style Aimpoints?  Not sure yet.... definitely not passing judgement (engraving will get you extra points though ), I'll wait for the finished project as usual.  

Looks like you stripped the finish too- charcoal bluing maybe or you going for the worn, cavalry look?
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 6:42:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 8:49:17 PM EDT
[#27]
No no, that’s not a light - I mean it is but that’s just a bonus - that is the sight:

As far as more greebles, I’ve been thinking about possibly asking my gunsmith to use the included pressure pad for the laser and either integrate into or replace entirely one of the grip panels. That’d give a little more purpose-built electronica feel to the blaster:

(Please excuse the dust and dirt, I live with four dogs and the hair gets everywhere…)

I’ve also been thinking about getting a lanyard loop installed in the butt of the grip and adding some charms, a la the Sucker Punch 1911:

This is the finish that was on the gun as received, just standard stainless. I did opt for the blued conversion cylinder to give it a little more two-tone aesthetic since I knew I’d be getting some kind of black grips. As far as final finish, I have no specific thoughts as of now, but I’m open to suggestions!
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 8:53:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Uberti makes a repro-ish Remington 1875 that is a gate loader but has the look of the 1858.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 10:01:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Radiolucent:
Uberti makes a repro-ish Remington 1875 that is a gate loader but has the look of the 1858.
View Quote

I’ve seen them. As far as I understand they’re functionally/mechanically nearly identical to the SAA. I’ve thought about getting one, but I think my next build needs to be a legit SAA (clone) project
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 12:00:41 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Rudukai13:
No no, that’s not a light - I mean it is but that’s just a bonus - that is the sight:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/414849/IMG_9126-3169454.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/414849/IMG_9131-3169456.jpg

As far as more greebles, I’ve been thinking about possibly asking my gunsmith to use the included pressure pad for the laser and either integrate into or replace entirely one of the grip panels. That’d give a little more purpose-built electronica feel to the blaster:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/414849/IMG_9136-3169458.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/414849/IMG_9145-3169460.jpg

(Please excuse the dust and dirt, I live with four dogs and the hair gets everywhere…)

I’ve also been thinking about getting a lanyard loop installed in the butt of the grip and adding some charms, a la the Sucker Punch 1911:

https://www.yourprops.com/movieprops/original/yp_530a3849589a04.38370480/Sucker-Punch-Babydoll-Pistol-1.jpg

This is the finish that was on the gun as received, just standard stainless. I did opt for the blued conversion cylinder to give it a little more two-tone aesthetic since I knew I’d be getting some kind of black grips. As far as final finish, I have no specific thoughts as of now, but I’m open to suggestions!
View Quote

Color case hardening of the cylinder.  
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 2:53:22 AM EDT
[#31]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/414849/IMG_9126-3169454.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/414849/IMG_9131-3169456.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/414849/IMG_9136-3169458.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/414849/IMG_9145-3169460.jpg

https://www.yourprops.com/movieprops/original/yp_530a3849589a04.38370480/Sucker-Punch-Babydoll-Pistol-1.jpg

While I’m certainly not opposed, I have wondered if there’s something about the CCH process that makes it unacceptable for use on a cylinder, as I’ve never seen another revolver with a CCH cylinder - from anyone. All of the following have CCH frames but another finish on the cylinder, from Uberti, Pietta, Colt themselves, Turnbull, etc:

You see my point. Lots of CCH, none on the cylinder
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 3:48:33 AM EDT
[#32]
Probably because real case hardening only hardens the surface of the metal, while the cylinder has to be pretty stout all the way through - my guess.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:02:46 AM EDT
[#33]
Fair point, but the cylinder is already hardened, so color case hardening won't weaken it.

FYI, Doug Turnbull has retired & turned the company over to his kids, and has another small venture.  He was at the Dallas Safari Club convention this year - which will be held in Atlanta for the next 3 years.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:20:02 AM EDT
[#34]
I’d love to get a gun worked on by Turnbull or Tyler Gun Works eventually, but for the immediate future the major custom gunsmithing funds are being set aside for the X-Five and Bruce Gray. I’ll be keeping all the revolver builds in perpetuity though, so there’s always a possibility of having more work done to any one of them at some point in the future. For now, integration of the laser, barrel porting, and possibly a lanyard loop/charm circle will be a decent start on the Acehole
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 1:18:12 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Rudukai13:  I’d love to get a gun worked on by Turnbull or Tyler Gun Works eventually, but for the immediate future the major custom gunsmithing funds are being set aside for the X-Five and Bruce Gray. I’ll be keeping all the revolver builds in perpetuity though, so there’s always a possibility of having more work done to any one of them at some point in the future. For now, integration of the laser, barrel porting, and possibly a lanyard loop/charm circle will be a decent start on the Acehole
View Quote

Then.... Rattlecan Rodesian baby poop camo?  You can always change it later.  
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 2:33:50 PM EDT
[#36]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Rudukai13:  I’d love to get a gun worked on by Turnbull or Tyler Gun Works eventually, but for the immediate future the major custom gunsmithing funds are being set aside for the X-Five and Bruce Gray. I’ll be keeping all the revolver builds in perpetuity though, so there’s always a possibility of having more work done to any one of them at some point in the future. For now, integration of the laser, barrel porting, and possibly a lanyard loop/charm circle will be a decent start on the Acehole

Honestly, potentially. I’m throwing around the idea of doing a more intentional apocalyptic wasteland aesthetic with this build, which would mean making it a bit more rough around the edges…
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 3:13:14 PM EDT
[#37]

Honestly, potentially. I’m throwing around the idea of doing a more intentional apocalyptic wasteland aesthetic with this build, which would mean making it a bit more rough around the edges…
View All Quotes

You could do rattlecan on the cylinder, and then hydro dip a modern digital pattern, making it a depot level restored parts gun.  Yet something else on the grips, maybe hand made wood or poorly printed 3-D w/ a design.  Maybe Legos...  
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 12:20:28 AM EDT
[#38]
I think this wheelgun is off to see the gunsmith this weekend. Or early next week - can never remember if my gunsmith is open on the weekends…
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 4:46:32 PM EDT
[#39]
Forgot this was Easter weekend My bad. It’ll go early this week
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 7:09:24 PM EDT
[#40]
The Acehole is with my gunsmith for him to work his magic on. He was coming up with some pretty interesting ideas himself just when I dropped it off You guys are gonna like it
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 8:11:15 PM EDT
[#41]
Not really project related but I figured the people who like my builds would appreciate this - I stopped at a new gun store on the way home and they had something hanging on the wall:

Think I might’ve found my new local gun store
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 9:17:52 PM EDT
[#42]
Ugh, that tax stamp.  Other than the stamp (I'm guessing it's under 16"?) and the optic (needs to go- too modern for the rest of the look), I like it.  It just needs some sort of buttpad, preferably in metal, and a leather sling.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 9:27:05 PM EDT
[#43]
Not really project related but I figured the people who like my builds would appreciate this - I stopped at a new gun store on the way home and they had something hanging on the wall:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/414849/IMG_9230-3183557.jpg

Think I might've found my new local gun store
View Quote
What causes the sort of fever dream that results in a cut down Krag with and Aimpoint and a tomahawk head?
A joint dipped in Fentanyl, LSD, PCP and wrapped in Cohiba leaves?
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 10:16:19 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By feudist:
What causes the sort of fever dream that results in a cut down Krag with and Aimpoint and a tomahawk head?
View All Quotes

Link Posted: 4/10/2024 9:03:06 AM EDT
[#45]
View Quote

Who forgot the brass/stainless steel knuckles.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 12:40:23 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 2:36:13 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By TexCorriente:
Ultem for the grips
Titanium nitride for the cylinder
View Quote

Ultem?
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 3:30:04 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 7:17:05 PM EDT
[#49]

Semi-Translucent, high impact thermoplastic. It comes in various shades of amber, from light yellow to almost rootbeer.
Lots of knife scales available, but i haven't seen any pistol or revolver grips. It can be 3D printed now, but I'm not sure how well it retains translucency.
It would give the revolver a Bladerunner vibe

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/276591/ultemscales-3185051.jpg
View All Quotes

Ultem?

Semi-Translucent, high impact thermoplastic. It comes in various shades of amber, from light yellow to almost rootbeer.
Lots of knife scales available, but i haven't seen any pistol or revolver grips. It can be 3D printed now, but I'm not sure how well it retains translucency.
It would give the revolver a Bladerunner vibe

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/276591/ultemscales-3185051.jpg

Ohh I see. I’ve been wanting to use some kind of colored transparent grips on one of these builds, but I was planning to save it for the Ruger Blackhawk/Reshawk I’ll eventually get. Not sure I’d be able to find any for a Remington 1858
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 10:04:31 PM EDT
[#50]

View Quote

that's awesome!

Constructive criticism:  I think it should be an RMR on there
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top