Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/19/2023 3:18:03 PM EDT
Looking to get my mk3 hi power hard chromed and a c&s trigger kit installed. Where would be a good place to send it to that could get that done in house. Also before that, I plan on sending it to novak to get some sights installed. I would also like to send it to a place that doesn’t charge upfront if possible. I don’t like the idea of paying upfront for a service thats going to take a year to get.
Link Posted: 7/19/2023 4:33:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Nighthawk - Bob Reeves, is a go to.   Not sure if they do hard chrome, they can do the sights.  

Link Posted: 7/19/2023 4:48:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Since you're sending your MKIII to Novak's, why don't you ask them who they'd recommend for hard chroming. They're a good source of information.
Link Posted: 7/19/2023 4:57:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Novak does good work.
Bob at APW Cogan can do the trigger work and the hard chrome. I do not know his time line.
apwcogan.com
Link Posted: 7/19/2023 10:05:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By hollowhandle:
Novak does good work.
Bob at APW Cogan can do the trigger work and the hard chrome. I do not know his time line.
apwcogan.com
View Quote

I forgot about apw. They seem like a good deal too. I’m going to email them.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 6:32:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Gristus Precision, Female Browning HP gunsmith, who formerly worked for Robar.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 6:44:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Don Williams at the Action Works.
Link Posted: 11/23/2023 11:47:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Gus Norcross @ Angus Arms . Former All Guard pistol smith
You can get hard chrome from a guy in Erie Pa he has done a couple for friends and Gus uses him .
Gus is in Maine
Link Posted: 11/23/2023 4:23:15 PM EDT
[#8]
IIRC, Jim Scarpino is in FL and does good work but, no refinishing.
Link Posted: 12/17/2023 3:23:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SSeric02:
Don Williams at the Action Works.
View Quote

Second Don’s work.
Link Posted: 12/17/2023 6:04:17 PM EDT
[#10]
I think don williams is not taking in work. I read tha apw is not what it use to be. Gritus is a maybe. I’m gonna email them. Mk3 firearms does not do hard chrome and is expensive.
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 8:50:14 AM EDT
[#11]
 Gus Norcross @ Angus Arms ,Wiscasset Me.
 Former All Guard Armorer, years on the pistol truck . There is guy in Erie Pa that does the chrome he does a lot of plating for the Navy nuke program and does guns through his own ffl . They have worked together before
I will dig the plating guys contact if you want ,pm me,
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 7:31:06 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm trying to find someone myself.  I would like a trigger job, staking on a new front sight, modifying and fitting a 1911 rear sight I like to the Hi Power dovetail (I've had that done before) and ideally adjusting the height of the front sight to zero the gun with its new sights, replacing the safety with an extended ambi one, replacing the hammer and sear with C&S ones, polishing the feed ramp (it feeds HSTs just fine, though, so no recontouring for me), and install a replacement lanyard ring (I can't find the press-fitted type this one had, so it would need to be tapped for a threaded one).  I also may do refinishing work if I am going through all of this trouble, and I kinda want to replicate the factory finish, which is a matte/eggshell black anodizing on the frame, oven-cured satin black enamel paint over Parkerizing for the slide and sights (satin black Cerakote over Parkerizing works for me), and a glossy blued finish for all of the other parts.  I kinda like the way it looks, like a subtle two-tone with highlights.  Maybe clean op some nicks and things as part of the process.

I used MK3 last time, but I was disappointed in the trigger job and they decided to hack off a third of my rear sight which upset me (while not reducing its height which is what I actually wanted).  They lightened the weight of the break to my liking, but the weight of the takeup was so close to the break that I couldn't find the wall easily which made it feel almost like a mushy, creepy trigger, and I also didn't like what was done with the takeup length, which was nice as-is (very short for a factory Hi Power trigger) but not as nice after the fact.  They also only do Cerakote (and cold blue for touching stuff up) for refinishing.  Prices were okay for the work, certainly quite good compared to some of the better Hi Power 'smiths, turnaround time was shockingly fast, and they were somewhat convenient to get to, being less than four hours away, which is a big part of why I went with them.

Seems like if I want anything else, though, I'm looking at limited options for the type of work and finishes that can be done, or the 'smith is no longer taking new work, or we're talking about exorbitant costs and/or (usually both) extremely long waits, both to be able to send in the gun and to get it back once it's been sent in.  Don Williams would be the next most convenient distance-wise, but if he's not taking work then that is not an option, obviously.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top