Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/19/2024 1:02:55 PM EDT
Wondering what red dots you guys use on your S&W X-Frames?  I want to put one on my 460 XVR for deer hunting, and am considering a dual illuminated Triji RMR.  I figure an RMR will hold up to the recoil.  But just wondering what dots you guys have put on your 460s and 500s that have lasted a while.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 1:45:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Ultradot is considered "the" take a beating in heavy hitting revolvers and I know people that have beat those mercilessly long term.
I've heard of Delta Pro, RMR and even Holosun lasting on big boomers, but not personally aware of those, just users posting on the web.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 9:43:14 PM EDT
[#2]
I'll second the Ultradot.  I've used one on a 686 for several years and just put one on a 69.  They've been used on much larger hand cannons for years and have a reputation for holding up well.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 11:02:25 PM EDT
[#3]
The new RMR HD would probably be fine. Otherwise look for a micro rifle optic. Aimpoint, Holosun, etc. Don’t go for a budget option trying to save a few coins - none of them will last
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:02:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Rudukai13:
The new RMR HD would probably be fine. Otherwise look for a micro rifle optic. Aimpoint, Holosun, etc. Don’t go for a budget option trying to save a few coins - none of them will last
View Quote

Which "micro rifle optics" have you used on heavy recoiling revolvers? And approx. how many rounds?
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 4:33:15 AM EDT
[#5]
As soon as the Trijicon RM46 mount arrives, I'm installing a RMR-06 3.5 MOA red dot on my 350 Legend X-Frame

My second choice would be a Deltapoint Pro. Leupold has a mount for the X-Frame
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 10:14:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By snakeman48:
As soon as the Trijicon RM46 mount arrives, I'm installing a RMR-06 3.5 MOA red dot on my 350 Legend X-Frame

View Quote

How much recoil does the 350L produce out of the X-Frame?  Is it stout or pretty tame?

I know both the 460 and 500 are doing about 2,900 ft-lb of energy with full power loads.  The most powerful load I found between both of them is actually an Underwood 460 load - 360gr hard cast doing 2,886 ft-lb.  It actually edges out the most powerful 500 load I've found which is 2,868 ft-lb.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 11:14:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Zeebz:
How much recoil does the 350L produce out of the X-Frame?  Is it stout or pretty tame?

I know both the 460 and 500 are doing about 2,900 ft-lb of energy with full power loads.  The most powerful load I found between both of them is actually an Underwood 460 load - 360gr hard cast doing 2,886 ft-lb.  It actually edges out the most powerful 500 load I've found which is 2,868 ft-lb.
View Quote

Not as bad as I thought it would be. The 350 Legend is a rifle round, as I'm sure you know, so most of the powder is burned outside of the barrel. I think if one was to reload it with, say 296 or 2400, the recoil would be closer to your rounds. I've shot my buddy's 460, and it was a beast. I never had the chance to shoot a 500. From what I've read, the 460 is a bit stronger
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 4:28:29 PM EDT
[#8]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By snakeman48:

You know that muzzle energy is a non factor in big boomer handgun rounds right?
Bullet shape/construction, yea, that's a big factor.
Penetration, yup.
But muzzle energy, no.

Get it (the bullet) thru the vitals, hopefully out the other side..... Your work is done 'cept maybe put another round in.
Non expanding with a large meplat rules especially if heavy bone/heavy muscle mass/thick hide and heavy coat is involved.
Expanding but deep penetrating rules in lighter boned, lighter skinned beings.

That's why the harsher animals in Africa fall regularly to 50 JRH and much lessor rounds, driving an appropriate bullet.
Altho there's no problem (and considerable fun, assuming the bullet will hold up when hitting heavy bone) with having more HP, big, big things fall at 1,000-1,400 fps and big bore, heavier, slugs going downrange.

The top end 45's & 500's exist in the "nether world", but even Linebaugh admitted that lesser guns than his own over the top chamberings killed game fast and efficiently.

I would base my optic choice off of real world durability others have seen. There are a lot of optics we might "think" will go long term on a heavy recoiling revolver,,,, but may not. Based off of the number of optics my Dad broke in heavy hitters up to 45-70's.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 4:34:32 PM EDT
[#9]
I have not had good luck with any optics other than Leupold scopes on magnum revolvers. I’ve killed a couple red dots on my 6” 657 and 629. Ill have to give the Ultradot a try as I would love to have an optic on both them and my X-frames
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top