Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/25/2023 6:29:54 PM EDT
The issue is that I have an older family friend (actually a relative by marriage) who has a good condition firing P-38 that was a WWII bringback by a relative.  Instead of selling it outright, he would like to trade it for a more modern pistol with modern sights and/or laser, as he is approaching 80 years old and wants something with better sights and perhaps a little easier to manipulate.  I naturally tried to dissuade him from getting rid of it, as I see this weapon as something that should be passed down to his kids; however, this is the third time he has asked me for assistance with this quest.  As he is insistent, I was wondering if anyone was familiar with a reputable dealer or collector in or near the Fort Myers/Cape Coral area I could link him up with who has the chops to make sure he at least gets a good deal?  Naturally, I would normally gladly help him with something like this, and would consider buying from him outright; however, since there is "family" (cousins) involved, discretion dictates that I don't get TOO involved with this transaction in the event that he (or his heirs) have regrets later.
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 7:08:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Just to give some idea of value so he can ball park what he might get in trade ......

I had one that I inherited from my father. It was in great condition. Had original holster and 2 mags. I think it was made in '44. Sold it for $1500 in 2020.

Link Posted: 9/25/2023 9:49:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Kraquine:

Just to give some idea of value so he can ball park what he might get in trade ......

I had one that I inherited from my father. It was in great condition. Had original holster and 2 mags. I think it was made in '44. Sold it for $1500 in 2020.

View Quote

Thanks!  I've actually fired it several times and really enjoyed it (kind of reminds me of a Beretta M9 or other 92-series pistol).  Unfortunately, I don't remember the particular make and serial#, and have never field stripped it, so I am not sure if it is completely original or, as a military gun and battlefield pick-up, some type of mixmaster.  I'll see if I can get some pictures.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top