Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/8/2023 10:25:17 AM EDT
1) Base Pins  I see "Old" and "New" OEM Ruger base pins.  "Old" having a flange which abuts the frame, "New" being flangeless.  Is either one preferable?  Stainless or Blued?  Have also seen aftermarket base pins.  Are any of these worth their price, and if so, which one(s)?

2) Where can I obtain a "Crescent" headed shell ejector?  I have a Ruger Vaquero crescent-head shell ejector, but the crescent head on it is smaller than I'd prefer.  Stainless steel preferred, but I'll take what I can get.

3) Source(s) for "Cammed" ejector rod housings hopefully compatible with above Crescent head shell ejector.  Unsure If I want steel or aluminum; barrel is 7-1/2".

4) Suggestions concerning making front sight more visible.  I'm reluctant to modify the existing front sight.  Rear sight is OEM Ruger adjustable sight.

TYVM for reading.  Info on other "must-do", but reversible mods also requested.  I plan to install a slightly reduced power Trigger spring, and an increased power Base Pin Latch spring, as well as Hogue grips.
Link Posted: 12/9/2023 7:43:53 PM EDT
[#1]
You can use model paint like Testors to brighten up the front sight blade.

Belt Mountain makes cylinder pins.

Brownells and Midway carry the pins and ejector rods.

An old trick to lighten the trigger pull is to take the grips off and pry one of the trigger return springs off leaving only one installed.

You can also get custom grips made.  I sent my grip frames to Chig’s Grips.  Go on his website and pick out the wood you like.  He installs Ruger medallions for $20.  He cuts and fits the grips for no charge other than shipping.

Link Posted: 12/10/2023 12:03:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: parrisisland1978] [#2]
I used the green paint on the front sight and it really pops. I patiently followed the instructions and let each coat dry sufficiently.
It has held up well for two years now of occasional carry in a leather holster
Attachment Attached File

I went with  Altamont made bonded “ivory” stocks sold on Ruger's website because I love ivory on blue revolvers.
Attachment Attached File

Everything else is stock and it is accurate, has a nice trigger pull and locks up tight. On mine, at least, I see no reason to switch out parts that already function properly.
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 5:44:21 PM EDT
[#3]
I typically put the wide spur SBH hammer on any Blackhawk, they're functional and just look better.

For the front sight I have a Sharpie paint pen, white and I just dab some on the front sight on the top serrations about halfway down the blade, no need to go all the way down.  

I use Belt Mtn. base pins and have used the Wolff reduced power springs.

Other than that, not much.

Link Posted: 12/19/2023 7:46:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SDGlock23:
I typically put the wide spur SBH hammer on any Blackhawk, they're functional and just look better.

For the front sight I have a Sharpie paint pen, white and I just dab some on the front sight on the top serrations about halfway down the blade, no need to go all the way down.  

I use Belt Mtn. base pins and have used the Wolff reduced power springs.

Other than that, not much.

View Quote
Wide spur Super Blackhawk hammer may be an option for me, since Blackhawk Bisley hammer, which I prefer and also has a wide spur, is temp unavailable from Ruger.  Thanx for useful comments.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 7:50:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Power Custom makes and sells base pins for Ruger SA revolvers. They're well known seller on Ebay, good stuff, fair prices.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top