Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/31/2024 10:22:25 PM EDT
My oldest is looking for a carry gun.  I really thought she would like the p365 but she actually didn't like the trigger or the recoil.  Her favorite gun so far is the Ruger sr9 compact, trigger is smooth and more of a single sweep than the almost 2 stage of the p365.  She also likes the manual safety but both the Rugers and Sig have that on the models she is considering.

The sr9 hasn't been made for several years now, and the more budger minded Security 9 is out now.  However, they look fairly similar, weigh almost similar (within a few oz) and the Security 9 gets pretty good reviews.   The Rugers both weigh more than the p365 so I think that translated to less recoil for her.  

Question is - we haven't had a chance to shoot the Security 9 and there isn't anyone close that has one that I know of - are the triggers fairly slimilar in how they pull?  I think the SR9 was supposed to be the higher end pistol, so wanted to make sure that the smoothness of the trigger wasn't limited to the higher end model only and wasn't missing on the Security 9.

Security 9 compact

SR9c
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 11:00:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: VASCAR2] [#1]
In my opinion the Ruger SR9c and Security 9 compact are aimed at the same market with similar pricing.   There is a significant difference in the design between the Ruger Security 9 compact and the SR9c.  The Security 9c has a pre-cocked hammer fired system.   The Security 9c trigger feel would be of a similar design to the S&W M&P EZ 9.   The Ruger SR9c is a striker fired pistol similar to a Glock safe action striker fired system.  

The Ruger Security 9 compact trigger reminds me more of a revolver type double action trigger with a long smooth trigger pull.  The SR9c trigger is more like a two stage trigger where you have a take up to a wall of resistance, apply more pressure and get a 5-6 pound trigger break.

The Ruger Security 9c slide is easier to retract because of the pre-cocked hammer system just like the S&W M&P EZ.   The Security 9c has an actual hammer in the frame that is concealed by the enclosed slide like the S&W EZ.  The SR9c slide will be harder to cycle on the SR9c because of the striker spring and recoil spring weights.  For an inexperienced shooter they might not notice the two stage nature of a striker fired pistol like the SR9c compared to a pre-cocked hammer design like the Security 9c.   To me the Security 9 trigger is a lighter version of the double action only pistols like the Kahr 9, Sig P226 DAO or S&W 5943 DAO.

The trigger design of the Security 9c is the same as the Security 380.   Ruger has used both hammer and striker fired designs in their semi auto pistols and both can be used effectively but there is a difference.

Link Posted: 4/2/2024 10:41:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By VASCAR2:
In my opinion the Ruger SR9c and Security 9 compact are aimed at the same market with similar pricing.   There is a significant difference in the design between the Ruger Security 9 compact and the SR9c.  The Security 9c has a pre-cocked hammer fired system.   The Security 9c trigger feel would be of a similar design to the S&W M&P EZ 9.   The Ruger SR9c is a striker fired pistol similar to a Glock safe action striker fired system.  

The Ruger Security 9 compact trigger reminds me more of a revolver type double action trigger with a long smooth trigger pull.  The SR9c trigger is more like a two stage trigger where you have a take up to a wall of resistance, apply more pressure and get a 5-6 pound trigger break.

The Ruger Security 9c slide is easier to retract because of the pre-cocked hammer system just like the S&W M&P EZ.   The Security 9c has an actual hammer in the frame that is concealed by the enclosed slide like the S&W EZ.  The SR9c slide will be harder to cycle on the SR9c because of the striker spring and recoil spring weights.  For an inexperienced shooter they might not notice the two stage nature of a striker fired pistol like the SR9c compared to a pre-cocked hammer design like the Security 9c.   To me the Security 9 trigger is a lighter version of the double action only pistols like the Kahr 9, Sig P226 DAO or S&W 5943 DAO.

The trigger design of the Security 9c is the same as the Security 380.   Ruger has used both hammer and striker fired designs in their semi auto pistols and both can be used effectively but there is a difference.

View Quote

@VASCAR2
thanks for the info.  I've not heard anything bad about either pistols so can't go wrong either way seems like.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 12:02:05 AM EDT
[#3]
The Security 9 is a great pistol. Never had any issues with one, and I would definitely recommend it. That said, the full-size is about the same size as a Glock 48, so that’s the one I’d recommend over the compact offering.
Either way, it’s a Ruger! They have the best customer service in the firearms industry should you ever need it.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 12:20:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Macumazahn] [#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By LIONHART:
The Security 9 is a great pistol. Never had any issues with one, and I would definitely recommend it. That said, the full-size is about the same size as a Glock 48, so that’s the one I’d recommend over the compact offering.
Either way, it’s a Ruger! They have the best customer service in the firearms industry should you ever need it.
View Quote

@LIONHART

Thanks for the input!  I have owned a SR9 and it is one of my favorite pistols.  Am hoping that the Security 9 is just as good.  I've never had an issue with anything Ruger so haven't had to use their customer service but I'm glad to hear it is good.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top