Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/1/2023 5:39:59 PM EDT
Just picked up a SCCY CPX-1 gen 3 and see it has an inertial firing pin safety - no firing pin block. I’m used to having a pistol with a firing pin block. Is this one still safe for a CCW?
Link Posted: 10/14/2023 1:22:58 AM EDT
[#1]
shocked no one has answered.  I have a CPX-2 gen3 sitting somewhere.  When I get a chance, I'll load a primed case into it and throw it around the range at work.
But with the heavy trigger pull, doesn't look like it will have enough force to hit the firing pin if dropped.
Link Posted: 10/14/2023 11:12:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: VASCAR2] [#2]
The SCCY CPX pistol are basically a copy of the Kel-Tec P-11.   SCCY has contoured the frame to improve the ergonomics but the functional design appears to be the same as the P-11.   The P-11 used a long heavy double action pull with a light weight hammer and firing pin spring to ensure the pistol would be drop safe.   I carried the Kel-Tec P-11 for several years as a BUG when I was issued a 5904.   The Kel-Tec P-11 would accept my fifteen round 5904 magazines which made it a very good BUG.   I know several Officers who used the P-11 and I have never seen a report of a P-11 discharging after being dropped.   I never observed any marks on primers after rigorous activity with a round chambered in my P-11.

My P-11 had a useable trigger even though it had a relatively short heavy double action trigger pull.   I preferred carrying my 3913 NL for a primary cc/off duty weapon but the P-11 was better suited to an ankle holster for on duty back up.  When my Agency transitioned to Glock 22/23 I sold my P-11 to a Friend.   The trend in firearms is to move to striker fired handguns where a lighter trigger pull can be achieved compared to the early P-11.   S&W has used a similar hammer fired design but more refined in their M&P compact 22 LR, M&P EZ 9 MM and 380 pistols.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top