BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
SD9 2.0 just announced (Page 1 of 2)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/19/2023 1:40:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ThePontificator]
Features a flat face and hopefully improved trigger as well as a slide with enlarged front and rear slide serrations and increased "melt" on slide edges.

According to the email I received the MSRP is $349. Smoky Mountain Guns & Ammo price is $349 free shipping if I'm not mistaken.

If the street price is $299 or lower it might be attractive. My old SD9VE got an MCARBO spring kit which greatly improved it. Got it when it was cheap and mags were even cheaper. Hopefully the 2.0 accepts the older magazines.
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 5:06:49 AM EDT
[#1]

Shockingly they're not abandoning the platform to go all in on m&ps.  They must still be selling well for them.
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 7:33:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DavidY:

Shockingly they're not abandoning the platform to go all in on m&ps.  They must still be selling well for them.
View Quote

Or the profit margin is gigantic on them
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 9:19:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Question why this over the M&P other than price?
I've held the now 1.0 version and it never impressed me over the M&P.
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 10:36:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Ameshawki] [#4]
The SD series gets slammed a lot but honestly they're not bad pistols.  I bought one a while ago, mostly just to have an example of all the Smith nines in my collection.  Put an Apex trigger kit in it, which helped a good deal.  Points instinctively, for me at least.  Been reliable, decently accurate, nice size.  I can't say anything bad about it.

The SD gives Smith an entry level pistol for people with tight budgets, or who aren't really "gun"people.  All the R&D and design work was done years ago.  At this point I expect the profit margin on these is pretty good.  The 2.0 version looks to be a minor upgrade, cosmetics mostly, so not a lot of dollars there.  There is still a market for decent, moderately priced handguns, especially from a reputable manufacturer.
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 3:16:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Ameshawki:
The SD series gets slammed a lot but honestly they're not bad pistols.  I bought one a while ago, mostly just to have an example of all the Smith nines in my collection.  Put an Apex trigger kit in it, which helped a good deal.  Points instinctively, for me at least.  Been reliable, decently accurate, nice size.  I can't say anything bad about it.

The SD gives Smith an entry level pistol for people with tight budgets, or who aren't really "gun"people.  All the R&D and design work was done years ago.  At this point I expect the profit margin on these is pretty good.  The 2.0 version looks to be a minor upgrade, cosmetics mostly, so not a lot of dollars there.  There is still a market for decent, moderately priced handguns, especially from a reputable manufacturer.
View Quote

From what I'm reading the SD9VE/SD40VE comes with a 7.25 lb. trigger as "standard". But I have also read that models sold in MA/CT may have a heavier sear spring which ups the trigger pull weight to as much as 12 lbs. Whether this is true or not I don't know.

I do know that installing the M-CARBO spring kit (firing pin safety block spring, firing pin [striker] spring, and trigger return spring) has worked very well in my SD9VE. I decided not to install an Apex replacement trigger because doing so may require one to file down the overtravel stop on the back side of the trigger until it trips the sear/firing pin, and it may take several tries to get it right and each time you have to do it you have to disassemble/reassemble the frame. To me, not worth it. I just wanted to reduce the pull/return weight and in that, the M-CARBO kit works great. The only caveat is that their instructional install video on Youtube is bullshit. Use the Apex install video as your guide!

Both Apex and Galloway sell a spring-only kit that unlike the M-CARBO kit comes with four springs vs. three. Theirs includes a sear spring. I'm guessing this is for those MA/CT compliant guns. Might be or might not be.

With the kit installed my pistol is much more enjoyable to shoot and I have not experienced any light primer strikes.

So back to the SD9 2.0...

Smith & Wesson is strangely silent on the actually trigger pull weight of these new guns. All they're talking about is that the 2.0 model now comes with a flat-face trigger. It may be that other than the new trigger itself all the other internals are the same. I have asked M-CARBO to post their findings if and when they test the 2.0 model using their spring kit.

Given the street price of 2.0 is currently advertised at $299 I might very well think about getting one but I want to know if the SD9VE magazines are compatible. During the Trump Slump the local hardware store sold full cap mags for $20 each so I have a bunch.
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 3:26:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Yeah, Massachusetts requires something like 10 or 12 lb triggers on new guns sold.  So a pistol can be California compliant, but not Massachusetts compliant, and vice versa.  Intentionally a pain in the ass for manufacturers, reducing choice for all Americans especially in the communist states.

Compact Dagger is most likely the better buy unless you get a screaming deal on an SD.  The SD mags are orphans, don't fit anything else, unlike M&P & even the Taurus G2C/G3 series that take SIG P226 mags.
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 5:39:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Mags ARE of course compatible.   2.0 ships with only 1 now...
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 6:24:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By EncoreGolf:
View Quote

Not unusual at that price point.
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 6:24:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: recon] [#9]
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 6:28:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By ThePontificator:

From what I'm reading the SD9VE/SD40VE comes with a 7.25 lb. trigger as "standard". But I have also read that models sold in MA/CT may have a heavier sear spring which ups the trigger pull weight to as much as 12 lbs. Whether this is true or not I don't know.

I do know that installing the M-CARBO spring kit (firing pin safety block spring, firing pin [striker] spring, and trigger return spring) has worked very well in my SD9VE. I decided not to install an Apex replacement trigger because doing so may require one to file down the overtravel stop on the back side of the trigger until it trips the sear/firing pin, and it may take several tries to get it right and each time you have to do it you have to disassemble/reassemble the frame. To me, not worth it. I just wanted to reduce the pull/return weight and in that, the M-CARBO kit works great. The only caveat is that their instructional install video on Youtube is bullshit. Use the Apex install video as your guide!

Both Apex and Galloway sell a spring-only kit that unlike the M-CARBO kit comes with four springs vs. three. Theirs includes a sear spring. I'm guessing this is for those MA/CT compliant guns. Might be or might not be.

With the kit installed my pistol is much more enjoyable to shoot and I have not experienced any light primer strikes.

So back to the SD9 2.0...

Smith & Wesson is strangely silent on the actually trigger pull weight of these new guns. All they're talking about is that the 2.0 model now comes with a flat-face trigger. It may be that other than the new trigger itself all the other internals are the same. I have asked M-CARBO to post their findings if and when they test the 2.0 model using their spring kit.

Given the street price of 2.0 is currently advertised at $299 I might very well think about getting one but I want to know if the SD9VE magazines are compatible. During the Trump Slump the local hardware store sold full cap mags for $20 each so I have a bunch.
View Quote

My stock trigger was about 8, measured with a cheap Lyman spring gauge.  The Apex kit took it down to six or a tad less.  About average for a striker gun.  Eight sounds high but to a revolver shooter its nothing.  My trigger was quite smooth out of the box; I've heard complaints of grittiness from others.
Link Posted: 12/21/2023 9:39:07 AM EDT
[#11]
My sd40ve 1.0 is in the 5 pound range using the Mcarbo kit, it works good and is smooth. Don't care about which mag fits which gun, I just buy what ever fits it and call it good. Mine shoots good and makes a good mountain gun, that's all I bought it for. I may look at the 2.0 when,( if) it comes out in .40. I have way to many 9's already and don't want any more.
Link Posted: 12/21/2023 9:41:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By DavidY:

View Quote

They do sell a lot of them because often street price on them is at or under $300. IMO, its a pretty decent gun except for the trigger (which can be improved) and I think it's one of the best values for new guns for people on a tight budget.
Link Posted: 12/21/2023 5:27:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ThePontificator] [#13]
Years ago Galloway Precision put up this YT video on how to install an SD9 spring kit and in that video the installer "Brandon" claimed that the SD series had a limited round-count lifespan of 4,000 rounds. This is probably why I won't ever buy anything from them. Pure bullshit.

SDVE Spring Kit Installation
Link Posted: 12/21/2023 6:54:23 PM EDT
[#14]
The SD9 2.0 is not a bad looking pistol. It would make a great gun for stashing somewhere like in your garage or similar.
Link Posted: 12/23/2023 9:38:22 AM EDT
[#15]

Not unusual at that price point.
View Quote

Very unusual since they used to ship with 2
Link Posted: 12/23/2023 10:07:11 AM EDT
[#16]
The trigger looks interesting. The only complaint I have with my SD9 is the curve of the trigger puts the point into the meat of my trigger finger making it a bit uncomfortable. Never had any issue with the pull weight.
Link Posted: 12/23/2023 11:45:07 AM EDT
[#17]
I am also surprised they kept the line going. I guess it was for the price point. If the trigger is the same like that on the M&P line, the SD9 2.0 will be a winner.
Link Posted: 12/23/2023 1:02:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Optics cut?  No?  Come on Smith you're wasting my time.
Link Posted: 12/23/2023 3:58:20 PM EDT
[#19]
View Quote

Just noticed that on SMGA's listing.

Well WTF my 9VE came with two mags. But that was about six years ago. Glad I bought a bunch of them for $20 each. They're about $40 now which is pretty crappy.

Link Posted: 12/23/2023 4:45:04 PM EDT
[#20]
The thing about the SD9 line is they are not a bad EDC. First they work, they are reliable. Second capacity is pretty darn good. Third, they have a good fit to the hand, And Forth when you are involved in shooting, when it get seized as evidence you are only out $349. Sure it doesn’t have a target trigger match barrels or nights (I think), but they work and carry a lot of bullets.
Link Posted: 12/23/2023 5:09:29 PM EDT
[#21]
I wonder if this will make Gen 1s a fire sale steal?

Link Posted: 12/23/2023 5:48:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By feudist:  I wonder if this will make Gen 1s a fire sale steal?
View Quote

You can already build a Compact Dagger for $250 before shipping, and it uses inexpensive mags.  You'd have to get used Gen 1s for $200 before sales tax to be worth it.
Link Posted: 12/23/2023 6:39:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By HAGDADDY:
View Quote

Not at that end of the market.   And a majority of buyers still don’t use optics, especially in that price range.
Link Posted: 12/23/2023 7:01:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -OdieGreen-] [#24]
View Quote

It’s $300. Have to pony up the extra whopping $200 and just get the M&P to get optics ready.
Link Posted: 12/23/2023 8:14:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By -OdieGreen-:

It’s $300. Have to pony up the extra whopping $200 and just get the M&P to get optics ready.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/23/2023 8:36:05 PM EDT
[#26]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

A 66% price increase for very little increased capability is a hard ask for many folks.  They've already skipped SCCY & Taurus to buy from a historic manufacturer they trust.  In a Biden economy, $300 is about as much as a lot of folks can spend on a carry/HD gun.
Link Posted: 12/23/2023 9:19:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Besides the flat face trigger, it looks more like just aesthetic updates to the slide.
Link Posted: 12/23/2023 9:22:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Caeser2001:
Besides the flat face trigger, it looks more like just aesthetic updates to the slide.
View Quote

I suspect you are correct.
Link Posted: 12/24/2023 1:21:50 AM EDT
[#29]
Does the Sd40 share anything with the Sigma 40?
Link Posted: 12/24/2023 12:07:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By PyrPaw:
Does the Sd40 share anything with the Sigma 40?
View Quote

Mags, barrel, mag release, striker, etc
Link Posted: 12/24/2023 1:02:53 PM EDT
[#31]

Not at that end of the market.   And a majority of buyers still don’t use optics, especially in that price range.
View All Quotes

Exactly.  These weren’t marketed at people who are going to want to spend the cash on an optic.
Link Posted: 12/24/2023 1:48:59 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By AeroEngineer:

Exactly.  These weren’t marketed at people who are going to want to spend the cash on an optic.
View All Quotes

You say that now but I think even SCCY has a factory optic model.
Link Posted: 12/24/2023 3:20:51 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By backbencher:

View Quote

PSA is also making budget pistols that are optic ready.  People dont have to put an optic on if they dont want to but I think any pistol released in today's market without an option for mounting red dots is dead in the water.
Link Posted: 12/24/2023 5:56:11 PM EDT
[#34]

PSA is also making budget pistols that are optic ready.  People dont have to put an optic on if they dont want to but I think any pistol released in today's market without an option for mounting red dots is dead in the water.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By backbencher:  You say that now but I think even SCCY has a factory optic model.

Not yet.  Among the cognoscenti perhaps, but they're hardly the majority.  I've just gotten around mounting a light on my Gen 5 26 and have to figure out an optics cut next, and who to do it.
Link Posted: 12/26/2023 2:52:40 AM EDT
[#35]

View Quote

S&W probably still sells 100 SD’s for every Dagger PSA sells and I don’t think that’s going to change. The SD is a huge success mostly for new shooters and people on budgets, both of which are rarely going to see merit in spending the cost of the gun on an optic in addition to navigating the utterly ridiculous mounting standards the pistol market has come up with.

The Dagger being direct sales and having a not so great track record are detriments to its success in the mainstream, but for people already knee deep in the hobby it’s a hit.
Link Posted: 12/29/2023 11:51:41 AM EDT
[#36]

View All Quotes

Arex Deltas are around $300 for non optic and $350 for optic version.  And with two magazines.  
Link Posted: 12/29/2023 8:09:39 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By ReservedRealist2:

Arex Deltas are around $300 for non optic and $350 for optic version.  And with two magazines.  
View Quote

So are a buttload of Turk guns and some are just spectacular like the Canik's, Stoeger STR9, Sar9, Tisas PX-9 gen 3, and most Taurus strikers too.  If someone told me I had $300 to buy an EDC/HD gun, an SD9VE wouldn't even crack the top 10.
Link Posted: 12/29/2023 8:11:48 PM EDT
[#38]
last time I checked, the magazine prices kinda ruined these imo.

If you are only going to have 2 magazines its a deal. I ended up spending a little more on a M&P
Link Posted: 12/29/2023 8:52:50 PM EDT
[#39]

So are a buttload of Turk guns and some are just spectacular like the Canik's, Stoeger STR9, Sar9, Tisas PX-9 gen 3, and most Taurus strikers too.  If someone told me I had $300 to buy an EDC/HD gun, an SD9VE wouldn't even crack the top 10.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ReservedRealist2:  Arex Deltas are around $300 for non optic and $350 for optic version.  And with two magazines.

Most casual gun shoppers have never heard of the Turk brands, and have heard bad things about Taurus, if they've heard of em.  Smith & Wesson is a known brand of quality, it sells.
Link Posted: 12/30/2023 5:35:30 PM EDT
[#40]
CDNN has the 1.0 with 1 16rd, 1 10rd, Crimson Trace laserguard, hiviz sights and free M&P night sights for $299
Link Posted: 12/31/2023 6:07:34 AM EDT
[#41]
Ruger Max 9 comes standard with an optic cut.  Gun companies love nickel and diming their customers.  

S&W doesn't want to cannibalize sales of optics ready M&Ps, simple really.
Link Posted: 12/31/2023 7:26:22 AM EDT
[#42]
It's $299 on Buds and there was a video up that showed the internals compared to the previous version. The round button in the slide for the striker block is a different shape and in the back of the frame; it was very different.
Link Posted: 1/1/2024 9:28:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RUT] [#43]
If Apex ends up supplying a "flatty" for the 2.0 I'm definitely interested.

Update: I did contact Apex and they said they haven't gotten around to it yet, so who knows? I did go ahead and order the gun anyway.
Link Posted: 1/1/2024 11:01:27 AM EDT
[#44]
I just read on accurate shooter that the CDNN unit is $299 with laser and that there is a $30 rebate offered as well which would make it $269, not a bad price.
Link Posted: 1/3/2024 5:07:17 AM EDT
[#45]
The video is back. It was gone for a while:

Smith and Wesson SD9 2.0 vs SD9 1.0
Link Posted: 1/3/2024 10:01:18 AM EDT
[#46]
That video helps quite a bit in showing the difference's between the two models, thanks for putting that up.
Link Posted: 1/3/2024 12:17:04 PM EDT
[#47]

You can already build a Compact Dagger for $250 before shipping, and it uses inexpensive mags.  You'd have to get used Gen 1s for $200 before sales tax to be worth it.
View Quote

Came to say this.
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 12:17:31 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 2:21:29 PM EDT
[#49]
https://i.imgur.com/CqntpjY.jpeg
View Quote

Who's the seller?
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 2:36:53 PM EDT
[#50]

Who's the seller?
View All Quotes
https://i.imgur.com/CqntpjY.jpeg

Who's the seller?

Looks like https://lockedloaded.com/product/sw-sd9ve-13655-9m-4-16r-fde-frameslide

Just one of many drop shippers who were priced within a few dollars of each other on almost everything. I think most of them nickel and time you to death with shipping charges, delivery insurance (which is bullshit because it's up to them to get it to you no matter what).

Here's a search for that SKU

https://gun.deals/search/apachesolr_search/022188891270
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
SD9 2.0 just announced (Page 1 of 2)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top