Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/15/2024 5:24:14 PM EDT
I have been using StreamLight TLR-1 weapon lights for a very long time.  I had one of the original LED fail, and StreamLight upgraded it to the newer version.  Apart from that I had years of trouble-free service. Now within the last year I have had two TLR-1 battery doors fail.  Both were "spares" sitting in the safe.  In both cases I opened the safe to find the batteries out of the light and the door broken / laying near the light.  These lights were not used or abused, and nothing "hit them" in the safe.  They were just sitting there and the portion of the door that covers the ends of the battery broke off the portion of the assembly that extends over the top of the light.

StreamLight sent a replacement for the first one. I just sent an email requesting another battery door assembly for the second one.  I will be curious to see if they send me one since I'm sure their records indicated they sent me one over the summer.

Has anyone else been experiencing this issue?
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 9:22:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Common issue on Tlr 1
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 12:15:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Yep, had 2 break in exactly the same manner while just sitting in the safe. It’s a known TLR1 issue. Ive got broken X300’s too, maybe I’ve got bad luck 😆
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 9:27:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Ruin:
Yep, had 2 break in exactly the same manner while just sitting in the safe. It’s a known TLR1 issue. Ive got broken X300’s too, maybe I’ve got bad luck 😆
View Quote

Don't feel bad. I've killed multiple streamlights and surefires both wml and handheld. All of them broke during training and not when it really mattered so I guess I have that going for me
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 12:25:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Very common issue. It’s the weak point of TLR’s. Streamlight is great about sending out free replacements quickly. I would just request a second and have it in my parts bin, it will break eventually.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 12:34:37 AM EDT
[#5]
I wish I had known this before I ordered a TLR-1 HL. I'm usually a Surefire guy, but thought I would give a Streamlight WML a try since I have a couple of their handhelds that I like.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 10:44:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DavidY] [#6]
I've been buying Streamlights since 1994, but I will say that I do like the design of the Nightstick TWM-30. It fits in almost every holster that fits the TLR-1HL and has a switch that functions identically on the left and right side.  It's also highly unlikely to fall off, probably because they're the damn Phillips screw holding it on

I'm not sure I would pay $130 for one when the streamlight is a couple dollars more, but I got one of the cheap "FDE" versions, so happiness is just a rattle can away.  

Link Posted: 1/17/2024 11:17:02 AM EDT
[#7]
For a common issue I've never heard of this or had it happen.  Weird.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 11:17:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Bradd_D:
I wish I had known this before I ordered a TLR-1 HL. I'm usually a Surefire guy....
View Quote

SF break too
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 11:24:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Blacktoothgrin:

SF break too
View Quote
Do they break just sitting in a gun safe?  
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 12:08:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GaryT1776] [#10]
I have always bought StreamLight WML for my handguns and SureFire Scouts / Dedicated Forends for rifles / shotguns.  

My experience with StreamLight's hand helds has been outstanding, but my experience with their Sidewinder2 head/helmet light has been pretty poor.  I have had a couple of them fail with minimal use.  The "click activation" button stops working.

To date I've broken / had fail six StreamLight products (3x TLR-1, 1x TLR-3, 2x Sidewinder2) I have yet to break a SureFire.  The pricetag on a SureFire handgun light is steep, but I'm probably going to be headed that direction in the future.  I have several expensive custom holsters for HGs with StreamLights so that'll be an added expense, but I do not want my WML self-destructing when I need it most.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 5:40:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Bradd_D:
Do they break just sitting in a gun safe?  
View Quote

Mine haven't
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 6:23:37 PM EDT
[#12]
I believe yall, just strange I haven't heard of this till now.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 6:57:03 PM EDT
[#13]
I have never liked the tail switch on the TLR-1.   Way too easy to activate by accident.  And of course, they fail.

Anyone found good aftermarket replacements?
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 1:58:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Do you have pics?  Where exactly does it fail?

Sounds like a bad run of parts not a common problem, large departments issue TLRs and have never heard of this.
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 10:21:59 PM EDT
[#15]
I went to Google and typed in "Streamlight TLR-1 battery door" and before I could finish, it offered to finish it to "broken" and offered lots of links going back to at least 2017.
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 11:39:08 PM EDT
[#16]
It's usually the tab that engages the light body (towards the bottom of the light) that breaks.

I haven't seen a TLR-1HL break, I'm sure it happens. Have seen a lot of the original 300 lumen versions break, but those were ran hard on .40s and then moved to 9mms before they broke and were replaced with TLR-1HLs. Overall I tend to prefer the TLR-1HL to the X300U. It's the right balance of flood and spill with easy to activate switches.
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 11:44:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Blacktoothgrin:
For a common issue I've never heard of this or had it happen.  Weird.
View Quote

I've heard of it on the internet, but I've never actually seen it happen or know anyone that it's happened to. *knock on wood*. I personally own 3 of them and I've been around a bunch more at work, as well as have numerous co-workers that run them.
Link Posted: 1/27/2024 1:45:56 AM EDT
[#18]
It happened to both of mine, with no heavy use or abuse
Link Posted: 1/27/2024 1:52:55 AM EDT
[#19]
Weird, it just happened to me last month. First out of 5 or so. Need a new light, I don’t have confidence in the design now.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 1:28:13 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 1:46:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: -OdieGreen-] [#21]
Never had this happen but I admit I'm probably going to be using TLR7’s moving forward. Better battery replacement, more compact size, and a better switch system. Just wish they’d make a full-size version to give some better output.

ETA: Looks like Streamlight is coming out with a high output TLR7. There will be a head upgrade which is a simple unscrew (same way to change the battery).
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 7:33:31 AM EDT
[#22]
I had one fail on a TLR1S that is back at Streamlight now. I have a bunch of TRL1s, including an issued one on my duty gun, and this is a little disconcerting.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:49:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Lol, I just pulled my braced .300 out of the safe and the light was dead and the metal hasp was open. I looked closer at it and , yep sure enough...

Crap

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:13:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Mine broke in the nightstand.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:58:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Same. Have 2 that were sitting in a cabinet mounted to a pistol that failed in the same way. Just noticed a week ago.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:27:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By -OdieGreen-:

ETA: Looks like Streamlight is coming out with a high output TLR7. There will be a head upgrade which is a simple unscrew (same way to change the battery).
View Quote

They have my attention.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top