Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/9/2024 10:59:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jtb33]
I bought this 9mm Tisas 1911 B9R, brand new about 14 months ago from Classic Firearms for $425 shipped and put it in my safe, never using it:  https://tisasusa.com/tisas-1911-duty-b9r/

I bought Magpul stocks for it about a month after I got it, and then put it back in the box in my safe, still unfired.  I've since bought several other Tisas 1911 models, and took this one out to look at it again, thinking about taking it to the range tomorrow.  I function tested it and noticed something.  It does this every time I do this procedure:

1. Cock the hammer back (can thumb it back or rack the slide - doesn't matter).
  2. Put the safety on.
  3. Grip the gun and pull the trigger (remember that safety is on).
  4. Then completely remove my hand from the gun's grip (or continue to hold the grip - doesn't matter) and just flip the safety off...  the hammer falls 2/3 of the way to the firing pin.  And that's without the grip safety being touched, nor the trigger.
This is repeatable every time.  It does it if I press the grip safety as well.  None of my other Tisas 1911's do this (or any of my non-Tisas 1911's either).  Short video posted below.  Note that this does NOT appear to be related to the recall from last week where the hammer follows the slide on a few models for .45 and 10mm.  What would cause my particular issue?  

Video of the issue:

https://flic.kr/p/2pxohn5

Link Posted: 2/9/2024 11:11:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: aod886] [#1]
There is an active recall on some models as you have stated you know about.

Could be some of the same issue. I'd contact them.
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 11:13:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jtb33] [#2]
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 11:14:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By aod886:
There is an active recall on some models as you have stated you know about.

Could be some of the same issue. I'd contact them.
View Quote
That recall is where the hammer follows the slide home.  Mine doesn't do that.

I will still contact Tisas though.
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 11:15:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Needs to go back for sure.
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 11:16:10 PM EDT
[#5]
They have a 'Lifetime Service Plan' on their guns that covers mechanical defects like this
Send them an email with the info you posted here and see what they say

Give them some time, I'd expect their c/s to be overloaded right now with the hammer-follow recall they just announced
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 9:04:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Safety is not fit right which is allowing enough movement of the sear, even with the safety on, to drop to the half cock notch when safety is switched off. A new safety properly fit is what you need.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 10:43:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Paulw007:
Safety is not fit right which is allowing enough movement of the sear, even with the safety on, to drop to the half cock notch when safety is switched off. A new safety properly fit is what you need.
View Quote

BINGO - We have a winner.

Link Posted: 2/16/2024 1:43:31 PM EDT
[#8]
I did contact Tisas and they quickly confirmed that it should not do that and sent me a shipping label to send it in to them.
Link Posted: 2/16/2024 4:53:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Let us know how it turns out.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 12:31:28 AM EDT
[#10]
They've had 3 of my 1911's (the 9mm referenced here and two that were subject to the official recall) for a month now.  No word from Tisas.  I wonder how long it will take to get them back.  
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 11:21:10 AM EDT
[#11]
@jtb33
They probably got slammed with the recall, too bad you can't check to see where your stuff is in the process.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 3:23:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Well, my B9R came back today via UPS 2-Day.  It's fixed and has the notes "Defective Thumb Safety" and just says that they replaced it with a new one.

It no longer exhibits the problem and appears to be fixed.  

The two other 1911's I sent in for the recall work (at the same time, but different package and different RMA number); I've yet to hear anything about them.  Hope those come back soon...

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top