Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/7/2023 7:34:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 154incher]
Went out with my son the other day and my son was shooting my 938 when he experienced a malfunction. The trigger would not fully depress as if the safety was on, although the safety was off and the hammer was cocked. I cleared the weapon and tried in vain to get the trigger to drop the hammer after racking the slide several times and flipping the safety on and off numerous times. I then took the slide off the frame and re-assembled and "voila"  it was fixed and functioned normally once again. I could not re-create the problem and had no further malfunctions after several more magazines were put through it.  

I have lost confidence in this gun and no longer want to carry it due to this incident.  Does anyone here know, or care to explain what happened?
Link Posted: 10/7/2023 8:40:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Hammer was fully cocked?
Link Posted: 10/7/2023 8:43:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes, hammer fully cocked.
Link Posted: 10/7/2023 9:20:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 154incher:
Yes, hammer fully cocked.
View Quote

If it was an AR, I'd ask you if one of your spent brass is missing a primer.
Link Posted: 10/7/2023 9:27:02 AM EDT
[#4]
It's sad that I kind of liked that little pistol as a front pocket gun, and now I will take it to the fun shop and have to trade it off for something else.
Link Posted: 10/7/2023 10:36:43 AM EDT
[#5]
I think I've had that happen if when I reassmbled I had the safety/disconnector thing forward rather than back where you need to depress it when the slide goes back on.

Link Posted: 10/7/2023 11:06:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By zeus2you:
I think I've had that happen if when I reassmbled I had the safety/disconnector thing forward rather than back where you need to depress it when the slide goes back on.

View Quote

Good point.
OP, did it fail in the middle of a string, or was he unable to get the first shot off?

It might still be reliable.
If you can dry fire it before you load it, it's not going to be locked up from improper reassembly.
Link Posted: 10/7/2023 2:42:02 PM EDT
[#7]
It is none of that...It is the slide stop that caused all of your sons issue. It is a known problem  My friend has the same issue they come out or out of alignment  that is why when you dissembled and reassembled it worked again. I wont ever carry with one or even own one due to this
Link Posted: 10/7/2023 4:00:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 154incher] [#8]
The malfunction happened mid-string, thanks for the info Gqllc, good to know, too bad i found out the hard way, first hand. I can't wrap my head around how the slide stop causes this.
Link Posted: 10/7/2023 5:00:32 PM EDT
[#9]
I am not sure either..I figured something internally maybe with barrel not being able to lock back into slide properly?? I know some people have had their slide stop come out when shooting
Link Posted: 10/7/2023 5:22:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By gqllc:
It is none of that...It is the slide stop that caused all of your sons issue. It is a known problem  My friend has the same issue they come out or out of alignment  that is why when you dissembled and reassembled it worked again. I wont ever carry with one or even own one due to this
View Quote

That's concerning.
Link Posted: 10/7/2023 5:28:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By backbencher:

That's concerning.
View Quote
Yes it is, I carry one.
Is there a fix?
Link Posted: 10/7/2023 5:33:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By gqllc:
I am not sure either..I figured something internally maybe with barrel not being able to lock back into slide properly?? I know some people have had their slide stop come out when shooting
View Quote

I searched the issue and the first thing I found was a 2017 thread on Sig Talk about stops falling out and slides ejecting.
I'll have to disassemble and clean mine, and see if I can figure out a way to block the trigger with the slide stop or spring.
Link Posted: 10/7/2023 5:40:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By GSPatton:

Yes it is, I carry one.
Is there a fix?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By GSPatton:
Originally Posted By backbencher:  That's concerning.

Yes it is, I carry one.
Is there a fix?

I'm afraid the fix likely comes w/ a trigger upgrade and the word Kimber on the slide, but maybe there's a less expensive fix.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 7:59:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Looks like you can bend the tip of the slide stop pin down slightly to prevent the slide stop from falling out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top