Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/15/2023 8:35:23 PM EDT
Purchased about two weeks ago, have about 1000 rounds down with her and I believe this sight will set a new standard for companies moving forward.
- The sight is mounted so low that the presentation feels the same to me, as running irons.
- There is no need for ridiculously high BUISs because the sight sits so low in the slide it allows the use of the factory front sight.
- Body of sight is narrow and glass size is a tad larger than the ACRO-P2. The dot or circle dot or “Donut of death” reticles present themselves as naturally as irons.

I will reserve this place for follow on reports, . I have a second on on the way for my M17, but mounted my first one on my M18 because I am currently shooting it more for various purposes and training. That will change. love the M17.

I will be happy to answer questions but I am TDY a lot lately so I’ll get back to you as soon as possible.

Cp
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 9:15:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Very nice!

Looks like a closed emitter.

Hows the run time?
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 9:22:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Where did you get it from and how much if you don't mind saying?
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 10:13:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By fortydelta:
Where did you get it from and how much if you don't mind saying?
View Quote

Direct from Sig full price. $806, price doesn’t bother me when it comes to what you get.
Closed emitter
No cost to machine slide
No cost for BUISs
Lowest profile on the market.

Yes it’s a closed emitter as well. Not sure on the run time yet. But so far I’m having no issues.

Cp

Link Posted: 5/15/2023 10:15:08 PM EDT
[#4]
I want one
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 10:16:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Rubicon777:
Very nice!

Looks like a closed emitter.

Hows the run time?
View Quote

Sig lists it at 20,000 hours. We’ll see!

Cp
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 11:18:53 PM EDT
[#6]
The one issue with these is they will only work a military spec slide as such it is a no go for the commercial spec M17 and M18. Hopefully they come out with one for the commercial cut as it is a very common pattern that includes the X5 Legion and a variety of other slides.
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 11:22:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By jhon:
The one issue with these is they will only work a military spec slide as such it is a no go for the commercial spec M17 and M18. Hopefully they come out with one for the commercial cut as it is a very common pattern that includes the X5 Legion and a variety of other slides.
View Quote

This is kinda what I'm waiting for.

I want to buy a bundle or something so it's a guaranteed fit.
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 11:34:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By jhon:
View Quote

Oh.

Well that's dumb.
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 2:06:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TrailerTrash556] [#9]
Originally Posted By fortydelta:

Oh.

Well that's dumb.
View Quote

From what I understand, there is a commercial/civi version on the way. But there's no way to tell exactly which slide/cut they will be made for.

These are listed on Sig's website now but showing out of stock.

I was hoping for a price around $600. But if you get what you pay for then
I only need two

@eaglecp
Are the rear sights removable on these? To me its looking like a separate piece from the main body.

Eta
I wonder how soon machine shops will be offering M17 optic cuts
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 2:18:12 AM EDT
[#10]
So where are these being made? And is this a DPP footprint but not for commercial optic mounts made for the DPP? Going to assume that since the price is steep, not made in China and that would be great but just need it to be confirmed.

Tagged for more info as it comes in.
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 6:41:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: eaglecp] [#11]
Originally Posted By TrailerTrash556:

From what I understand, there is a commercial/civi version on the way. But there's no way to tell exactly which slide/cut they will be made for.

These are listed on Sig's website now but showing out of stock.

I was hoping for a price around $600. But if you get what you pay for then
I only need two

@eaglecp
Are the rear sights removable on these? To me its looking like a separate piece from the main body.

Eta
I wonder how soon machine shops will be offering M17 optic cuts
View Quote

The rear sight is re-used from sight plate that comes on the pistol from the factory.
Yes, this optic was specifically built for the Military version ONLY. This includes Commemoratives and POWs being offered. This is a purpose built optic plain and simple for this gun.

That being said. Sig will be coming out with a civie version, so I am told by the Sig rep at the USASOC Sniper match at Bragg in March. I am sure it will be for commercial M17/18s and X5 series This makes sense because of the design of the slide.

You can still run the DPP footprint sights on these guns but there is a hole over the firing pin channel unless you install the DPP back up iron sight over it.
Cp
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 6:51:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: eaglecp] [#12]
Double tap mornings
Cp
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 9:33:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By eaglecp:

The rear sight is re-used from sight plate that comes on the pistol from the factory.
Yes, this optic was specifically built for the Military version ONLY. This includes Commemoratives and POWs being offered. This is a purpose built optic plain and simple for this gun.

That being said. Sig will be coming out with a civie version, so I am told by the Sig rep at the USASOC Sniper match at Bragg in March. I am sure it will be for commercial M17/18s and X5 series This makes sense because of the design of the slide.

You can still run the DPP footprint sights on these guns but there is a hole over the firing pin channel unless you install the DPP back up iron sight over it.
Cp
View Quote

Right on. That's what I had assumed but couldn't say for sure. Thanks
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 1:02:35 PM EDT
[#14]
I really want one of these.  I’ve got a commercial M17 and M18 and a “POW” mil M18 model.  I was planning on using the commercial models as my shooters and keep the mil model unfired but this optic may change my mind on that.
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 3:27:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Gunnie357] [#15]
Our Sig rep brought one out with him bringing some other equipment to test. I was extremely pleased with it seemed to be good unit with great clarity and brightness. It’s also my understanding this is the first in a family of optics that will eventually include not only commercial 320s but also a variant for the Micros like the p365. Be interested in how well it’s received.
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 4:24:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Switchback_Arms] [#16]
Originally Posted By Gunnie357:
Our Sig rep brought one out with him bringing some other equipment to test. I was extremely pleased with it seemed to be good unit with great clarity and brightness. It’s also my understanding this is the first in a family of optics that will eventually include not only commercial 320s but also a variant for the Micros like the p365. Be interested in how well it’s received.
View Quote

I'm in, I think Sig makes awesome stuff.

I've heard through the grapevine that Sig knows they have had issues with their pistol red dots and changes are coming but that was last fall.

I do have a Romeo1Pro on a P226 and it's fantastic, clearest window and crisp dot, but I'm all in on the fully enclosed optics now.

I've relegated that P226 to range queen / bedside duty:

Link Posted: 5/16/2023 5:08:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Switchback_Arms:

https://media0.giphy.com/media/5VKbvrjxpVJCM/200w.gif?cid=6c09b952b0ep9n2sifj6q3qn19nm2ngnnepse412yeyemh86&ep=v1_gifs_search&rid=200w.gif&ct=g

I've heard through the grapevine that Sig knows they have had issues with their pistol red dots and changes are coming but that was last fall.

I do have a Romeo1Pro on a P226 and it's fantastic, clearest window and crisp dot, but I'm all in on the fully enclosed optics now.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52564100933_0499e8ef56_b.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

https://media0.giphy.com/media/5VKbvrjxpVJCM/200w.gif?cid=6c09b952b0ep9n2sifj6q3qn19nm2ngnnepse412yeyemh86&ep=v1_gifs_search&rid=200w.gif&ct=g

I think the R1P gets a bad rap due to durability when most users don’t realistically abuse optics the way they like to think. I wouldn’t select it if I fast roped from helicopters but I don’t. There in the holsters of a lot of people who are happy with them who aren’t having issues.
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 5:10:49 PM EDT
[#18]
They have several videos on this on their Youtube channel..

The Absolute Best Pistol-Mounted Red Dot • ROMEO-M17 • SIG SAUER
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 5:19:51 PM EDT
[#19]

I think the R1P gets a bad rap due to durability when most users don’t realistically abuse optics the way they like to think. I wouldn’t select it if I fast roped from helicopters but I don’t. There in the holsters of a lot of people who are happy with them who aren’t having issues.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Agreed, I got the steel shroud and I'm not worried about it at all
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 8:34:38 PM EDT
[#20]

Agreed, I got the steel shroud and I'm not worried about it at all
View Quote

I had an X-VTAC with a Romeo1 Pro that I put over 3k through and carried daily. No problems with that setup, but I traded it for my M18 with DPP.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 7:38:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Ok here we go! Installed the RM-17 on my M17 POW.
I’ll keep the explanations to a minimum. Feel free to ask questions based on Pic #.
Pic 1 - everything and fix-it stix. #15 torx for both the extractor removal and the sight screw.

Pic 2 - remove firing pin assembly.

Pic 3 - site retention screw #15 torx

Pic 4 - all parts disassembled showing rear site that is moved to optic.

Pic 5 - top view showing front anchor point and rear screw hole where rear sites sets.

Pic 6 - sight installed showing alignment without rear iron sight installed.

Pic 7 - installed torqued to 40 inch pounds.

Pic 8 - complete! Total time to install start to finish 11 minutes and that included taking pics and uploading to imageshack.

Hit me!

Cp
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 9:39:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Ok here we go! Installed the RM-17 on my M17 POW.
I’ll keep the explanations to a minimum. Feel free to ask questions based on Pic #.
Pic 1 - everything and fix-it stix. #15 torx for both the extractor removal and the sight screw.
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img923/4627/9nyFAc.jpg

Pic 2 - remove firing pin assembly.
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img923/7980/6QLmQ1.jpg

Pic 3 - site retention screw #15 torx
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img922/9102/6bPgiP.jpg

Pic 4 - all parts disassembled showing rear site that is moved to optic.
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img922/9214/NUoHcZ.jpg

Pic 5 - top view showing front anchor point and rear screw hole where rear sites sets.
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img922/3880/svxQFL.jpg

Pic 6 - sight installed showing alignment without rear iron sight installed.
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img923/3782/cZ7Y8K.jpg

Pic 7 - installed torqued to 40 inch pounds.
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img922/1930/lpM5hS.jpg

Pic 8 - complete! Total time to install start to finish 11 minutes and that included taking pics and uploading to imageshack.
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img922/4733/vT3ilg.jpg

Hit me!

Cp
View Quote

Very nice!
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 9:58:05 AM EDT
[#23]
Very nice, but the SCS does the same thing for Glocks and M&Ps.

Not sure it sets a new standard.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 10:15:38 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By joglee:
Very nice, but the SCS does the same thing for Glocks and M&Ps.

Not sure it sets a new standard.
View Quote

True, but the Sig is at least made here as much as possible. Price is steep but I'd get that comfort in mind.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 10:22:40 AM EDT
[#25]
So the new standard is standard height cowitness?
Or closed emitter?
That "should" be the standard going forward but Holosun did that first.(SCS, 509t,)  Maybe acro?
I would prefer a acro style mounting. No slide screws.  
Not sure how I feel about the side mounted 2032 battery.

But I like it overall.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 10:36:28 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By networkguru:
So the new standard is standard height cowitness?
Or closed emitter?
That "should" be the standard going forward but Holosun did that first.(SCS, 509t,)  Maybe acro?
I would prefer a acro style mounting. No slide screws.  
Not sure how I feel about the side mounted 2032 battery.

But I like it overall.
View Quote
Shield was the first to use a standard height co-witness. Aimpoint was the first for a closed emitter. Holosun was the first for an enclosed emitter standard height. The Holosun 509T was the first at...nothing but a several years later enclosed cheaper ACRO clone, not really innovating to say the least.
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 1:14:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 11/24/2023 12:28:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3ACR_Scout] [#28]
They went on sale tonight on the SIG website for $719.99, looks like their Black Friday discounts dropped a little early. Only one left at the moment, unfortunately. They had five about an hour ago, and they went quickly. I grabbed one with the pistol and ammo rebate coupon I got this past summer, really looking forward to finally trying it out.

ROMEO-M17

EDIT: Two observations about the SIG store: They offered free shipping (possibly due to the rebate coupon, because it says "PISTOL PROMO" next to the shipping line on my order), and they also took the rebate coupon off the original sale price, before calculating sales tax, which saved me a little. I appreciate both of those factors in saving me a little more on this order.
Link Posted: 12/5/2023 9:35:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Pretty excited about my early gift to myself. It got hung up with FedEx for about a week but finally arrived. Really simple to install, just followed the excellent instructions that came with it. SIG is embracing 50 Shades of FDE (Coyote). I need to save up for an X300U to go with it, but I'm looking forward to trying it out sometime soon.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/29/2023 2:02:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Just thinking out loud here: I assume a competent gunsmith could drill / cut a commercial P320 slide for the single mounting screw that the military slides use. The ROMEO-M17 includes the mounting screw. Then all you would need would be the military rear sight. Unfortunately, SIG doesn’t sell the military iron sight separately, but maybe they will in the future, now that they are selling it with the M17X / M18X. It would be nice to be able to modify the commercial pistols to mount the ROMEO-M17. I have a Coyote XCompact slide that I’d love put this optic on too.
Link Posted: 12/30/2023 11:47:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3ACR_Scout] [#31]
I finally had a chance to try out this new optic today. I have to first caveat this by saying that I have very little experience with pistol-mounted optics - only a few hundred rounds through a Glock with an RMR, a friend's ROMEO1, and a family member's Walther PDP with a Holosun. But my first impression of the ROMEO-M17 is that it's a major improvement over the other optics I've tried. The large window, low mounting height, and ability to retain the standard height sights are all excellent features. I found it much easier to acquire the dot, being still new to this, than with higher-mounted optics since it wasn't much different than presenting the pistol with irons. I definitely need a lot more time with it though.

I put 150 rounds of Winchester M1152 and 50 rounds of M1153 through the pistol today. One issue I ran into, which I think was mostly my fault for over-lubricating the pistol in a rush to get ready for the range, was that the front window is so close to the breach that it immediately got covered with grime. The first shot I took looked like I drove through a big mud puddle on a dirt road and coated my windshield. I think this was also an issue of dirty ammo - I didn't really realize how dirty the M1152 can be. As you can see in the post-range photo below, it kicks out of bunch of little yellow particles that covered the front window with the first shot I took. The M1153 seemed cleaner, but I'll have to try some other ammo to start my next session to see if it makes a difference.

The dot was pretty spot on for elevation, but the windage was a bit off (I bench rested to confirm). I ended up adjusting it right about a half a turn, and that put it on target. I plan to spend more time with this pistol to get really comfortable with the optic. If I can afford it eventually, I'll get a second one for my M18 and ideally turn that into my carry pistol.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 12:59:18 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By 3ACR_Scout:
Just thinking out loud here: I assume a competent gunsmith could drill / cut a commercial P320 slide for the single mounting screw that the military slides use. The ROMEO-M17 includes the mounting screw. Then all you would need would be the military rear sight. Unfortunately, SIG doesn’t sell the military iron sight separately, but maybe they will in the future, now that they are selling it with the M17X / M18X. It would be nice to be able to modify the commercial pistols to mount the ROMEO-M17. I have a Coyote XCompact slide that I’d love put this optic on too.
View Quote

Proven Outfitters says they have the sight parts.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 12:52:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By distrflman:
Proven Outfitters says they have the sight parts.
View Quote

I just placed an order with Proven Arms for two of the cover plates ($15 ea) and rear sights ($17 ea). The rear sight includes the single mounting bolt. I was shocked (in a good way) how affordable the rear sight is. I don’t know of any rear night sight that’s sold by itself for less than $50+. I could have just ordered the rear sight by itself, but I figured I’d get the plates since I don’t know how long it will be until I can afford another optic. I prefer the smaller profile (in length) of the military iron sights.

They’re not sure how long it will take to get the parts, as they have to order them through SIG’s military parts department instead of their usual commercial sales, apparently.

Anyone have a recommendation for an excellent gunsmith that could drill the rear mounting hole in a commercial slide? I’ll probably ask John the AR expert from Retro Arms, but I’m not sure if he does custom work like this.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 9:08:41 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By 3ACR_Scout:

I just placed an order with Proven Arms for two of the cover plates ($15 ea) and rear sights ($17 ea). The rear sight includes the single mounting bolt. I was shocked (in a good way) how affordable the rear sight is. I don’t know of any rear night sight that’s sold by itself for less than $50+. I could have just ordered the rear sight by itself, but I figured I’d get the plates since I don’t know how long it will be until I can afford another optic. I prefer the smaller profile (in length) of the military iron sights.

They’re not sure how long it will take to get the parts, as they have to order them through SIG’s military parts department instead of their usual commercial sales, apparently.

Anyone have a recommendation for an excellent gunsmith that could drill the rear mounting hole in a commercial slide? I’ll probably ask John the AR expert from Retro Arms, but I’m not sure if he does custom work like this.
View Quote

Just bought a M18 POW so Stupid question, but can I use that rear sight and a Romeo X? If not….where can I buy one of these because I hate money. Just hate it.
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 9:14:50 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Soxfan:
Just bought a M18 POW so Stupid question, but can I use that rear sight and a Romeo X? If not….where can I buy one of these because I hate money. Just hate it.
View Quote

Sorry for not responding here, but I think you got your answer in the other thread. Glad you were able to find one of these optics.

I missed that Aaron Cowan posted a review a few months ago. TLDW: It’s one of the best pistol optics he’s used, but the proprietary mounting system and price will kill the appeal for most people.

What I found really interesting is that he states in the beginning of the video, “there are people like Icarus Precision working on being able to mill guns to accept this optic. They’ve already got some prototypes they’re testing and eventually they’re going to be offering that as a service.” It will be interesting to see what they come up with.

Link Posted: 4/18/2024 7:37:42 PM EDT
[#36]
I purchased an M17X that has this optic.
I’ve owned allll the big name expensive brand optics. This new sig optic is my favorite hands down. I have 800 rds through mine and hoping to hit 5,000 by the end of summer.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:09:10 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By JohnMH92:
I purchased an M17X that has this optic.
I’ve owned allll the big name expensive brand optics. This new sig optic is my favorite hands down. I have 800 rds through mine and hoping to hit 5,000 by the end of summer.
View Quote

This has been my experience as well.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:25:02 PM EDT
[#38]
Purchased about two weeks ago, have about 1000 rounds down with her and I believe this sight will set a new standard for companies moving forward.
- The sight is mounted so low that the presentation feels the same to me, as running irons.
- There is no need for ridiculously high BUISs because the sight sits so low in the slide it allows the use of the factory front sight.
- Body of sight is narrow and glass size is a tad larger than the ACRO-P2. The dot or circle dot or "Donut of death" reticles present themselves as naturally as irons.

I will reserve this place for follow on reports, . I have a second on on the way for my M17, but mounted my first one on my M18 because I am currently shooting it more for various purposes and training. That will change. love the M17.

I will be happy to answer questions but I am TDY a lot lately so I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img924/5636/ZUyHH0.jpg

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img923/6316/9jRkjy.jpg

Cp
View Quote
I love mine, I got the m18. Try the brouwer grip, game changer!!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top