Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/8/2024 9:13:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ruin]
Looking for a .44 Magnum with a 5”-5.5” barrel but I’m really torn on which one to go with.

Edit: or do I want a 4” and not realize it?

What’s your preference and why?
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 9:17:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 9:21:06 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a 629 snub and a 5.5" Redhawk. Those Redhawks have serious issues with light primer strikes and it is a well known problem. I had to get custom hard to find heavy springs for my Redhawk and finally got it functioning just right at a 13 pound double action pull. Any lighter and its back to light primer strikes. The brand new factory trigger that gave an 11 pound double action pull gave me a 50% light primer strike rate. Redhawks are nice guns, but I just seriously hate light primer strikes. Never had that type of issue with any Smith and Wesson revolver. I don't think the Super Redhawks have that issue though so there's that.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 9:27:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dogsplat] [#3]
629 4”

Amazon Product
  • package dimensions :4.0 cm L x 10.7 cm W x 19.9 cm H

Link Posted: 4/8/2024 9:34:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Urimaginaryfrnd] [#4]
629 4 in would be my pick but there is no wrong choice here.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 11:23:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 50-140] [#5]
Purpose dictates barrel length.  I have a 4" because I wear it in a Denali holster and a 4" is a lot easier to draw when needed.
Picture of model 29 after 15 years in the field, boat and general outdoors.

Link Posted: 4/8/2024 11:30:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By VersaceDesertEagle:
I have a 629 snub and a 5.5" Redhawk. Those Redhawks have serious issues with light primer strikes and it is a well known problem. I had to get custom hard to find heavy springs for my Redhawk and finally got it functioning just right at a 13 pound double action pull. Any lighter and its back to light primer strikes. The brand new factory trigger that gave an 11 pound double action pull gave me a 50% light primer strike rate. Redhawks are nice guns, but I just seriously hate light primer strikes. Never had that type of issue with any Smith and Wesson revolver. I don't think the Super Redhawks have that issue though so there's that.
View Quote

I haven’t read that as an issue for the Redhawk, is this a systemic issue with the gun? Troubling and a big “con”, if so.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 11:31:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By 50-140:
Purpose dictates barrel length.  I have a 4" because I wear it in a Denali holster and a 4" is a lot easier to draw when needed.
Picture of model 29 after 15 years in the field, boat and general outdoors.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/103648/DSC00142-142175.jpg
View Quote

I’ll never CCW it or take it backpacking. I’d bring it hunting and carry it a few miles with the hopes of killing a pig with it. That’s about it.

Still 4”? The 5.5” looks great.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 11:42:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By akethan:
Prelock Smith is always the proper choice. Your wallet may vary.
View Quote

FPNI.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 1:35:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Urimaginaryfrnd] [#9]
If you want the 5.5 go for it.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 8:04:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1168RGR] [#10]
Originally Posted By Ruin:

I haven’t read that as an issue for the Redhawk, is this a systemic issue with the gun? Troubling and a big “con”, if so.
View Quote
I heard about it as an issue with trying to tune them, and sold my 4” .45Colt Redhawk partly because I was considering tinkering with the guts and wanted something more friendly to that. Mine never actually had a problem, but I was in my early 20s and very stupidly let it slip away. Sold it to an older-ish guy in my organization..hopefully he’s still shooting it.

I wonder if the people having problems with them have a burr somewhere on the inside that increases friction enough to need a heavier spring?

The other “reasons” I sold it was that the Hogue grips it came with are designed backwards, with the cushion on the frontstrap instead of the back. That’s an easy fix, though. The front sight insert was less than perfect, but again, not a huge deal.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 9:12:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Have owned both.  The Smith is a bit more refined.  The Ruger is more rugged.  Either will do the job.  I've never had light primer strikes with the Redhawk, or any other Ruger, so am a bit skeptical.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 9:20:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: chase45] [#12]
My 629 has been a great revolver

Perhaps my best Smith

4" makes a great packing gun. Not sure I would want much bigger personally

Link Posted: 4/9/2024 9:27:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Ameshawki:
Have owned both.  The Smith is a bit more refined.  The Ruger is more rugged.  Either will do the job.  I've never had light primer strikes with the Redhawk, or any other Ruger, so am a bit skeptical.
View Quote

Yeah, my Redhawk smacked the shit out of any magnum primer I put in it. If I had a Redhawk that didn’t, I’d look for burrs or hammer drag before changing springs. I doubt it’s a seriously flawed design, though occasional poor execution of the design wouldn’t surprise me. Same goes for any Smith, particularly models with one-peice barrels.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 9:57:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By chase45:
My 629 has been a great revolver

Perhaps my best Smith

4" makes a great packing gun. Not sure I would want much bigger personally

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/161977/1000004197-3119018.jpg
View Quote

If you are going to "carry" or "pack" it, with other gear, the 4in 629 is a great choice.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 12:43:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Redhawks are beefy.
Attachment Attached File

After a year of edc I sold it. It just didn't  fulfill what I wanted.

Now I have a mountain gun
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 6:51:23 PM EDT
[#16]

I'll never CCW it or take it backpacking. I'd bring it hunting and carry it a few miles with the hopes of killing a pig with it. That's about it.

Still 4"? The 5.5" looks great.
View Quote
For hunting a 7.5" Super Redhawk.

It's weight helps tame the recoil and they are very accurate.

No light primer strikes with this one and a trigger like a GP100.

Link Posted: 4/9/2024 8:08:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Does the 4” give up much velocity to a 5” or 5.5” gun?
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 6:44:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SDGlock23] [#18]
Get the 5" 629 Classic.  The Redhawk has a terrible trigger.  The 5" isn't bad to shoot, the shorter barrels do recoil more, I've had the 3" 629 and have a 4" 29 as well, the 5" is kind of the sweet spot to me plus it has the DX front sight system, so putting a different front sight on is super easy.

Link Posted: 4/10/2024 9:02:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 11:10:25 PM EDT
[#20]

Nice collection and no Hillary hole.

Link Posted: 4/10/2024 11:10:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By SDGlock23:
Get the 5" 629 Classic.  The Redhawk has a terrible trigger.  The 5" isn't bad to shoot, the shorter barrels do recoil more, I've had the 3" 629 and have a 4" 29 as well, the 5" is kind of the sweet spot to me plus it has the DX front sight system, so putting a different front sight on is super easy.

https://i.imgur.com/R1yK3IG.jpg

View Quote

Sharp looking pistol.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 6:56:21 AM EDT
[#22]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 7:29:47 AM EDT
[#23]
I have a 4” 29 new production model and went with it because I really like the looks of a blued Smith revolver, I shoot mainly specials through it and it does really well, I guess if I had it in mind to shoot full house loads and hunt with a 44 I might lean toward the Ruger, last time I looked it seems like the RedHawks had shot up in price a bit.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 11:17:24 AM EDT
[#24]
I have had & have a few 44 mag revolvers. To me, a 4" is nice to pack, & miserable to shoot, out in the field, where you might not have ear protection at the moment. The Redhawk does not like lighter springs without some action work. Factory springs tend to work just fine but cannot compare to the S&W trigger. in my experience.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 5:37:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Ended up going with the 629 Classic with 5” barrel.

It will realistically spend 98% of its life at the range. Are modern M629’s all roundbutt guns? I need some proper grips.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 12:40:16 AM EDT
[#26]
VZ Grips still makes round, square and round to square conversations I believe.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 6:59:44 PM EDT
[#27]
I don’t mean to hijack the OP’s thread, but on the subject of the 629 “mountain gun” I heard there was a .357 variant.

I assume they’re out of production? Closest I could find on the site was the 66 but that barrel looks longer than four inches. Next best thing being the 686?
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 9:36:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mississippiflush] [#28]
Originally Posted By UnequivocalLiberty:
I don’t mean to hijack the OP’s thread, but on the subject of the 629 “mountain gun” I heard there was a .357 variant.

I assume they’re out of production? Closest I could find on the site was the 66 but that barrel looks longer than four inches. Next best thing being the 686?
View Quote

There was a 686 mountain gun
Smith forum
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 10:26:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By mississippiflush:

There was a 686 mountain gun
Smith forum
View Quote

Ty! Sure is purdy. I’m not a fan of the full underlug, but a 686 may have to do if I can’t locate one.

Also contemplating a 629, so I’ll be watching this thread. Hope OP delivers on photos
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 11:10:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: W_E_G] [#30]
Five-inch  625-3 ("Model of 1989") stopping in to say 5" is the ideal barrel length for N-frame.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 11:17:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By UnequivocalLiberty:

Ty! Sure is purdy. I’m not a fan of the full underlug, but a 686 may have to do if I can’t locate one.

Also contemplating a 629, so I’ll be watching this thread. Hope OP delivers on photos
View Quote

I promise I will update with some pix when the gun comes in. Ordered it from the BX as they only had a model 69 3” (I think) on hand.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 11:22:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By W_E_G:
Five-inch  625-3 ("Model of 1989") stopping in to say 5" is the ideal barrel length for N-frame.

I got this second hand. I think the round-butt grips LOOK a little weird. But they FEEL great in the hand. I've considered getting a set of Magna "target" grips for a more "classic" look. But I've had guns with Magnas. While the appearance of the Magnas is very appealing, the Magnas don't fit my hand anywhere nearly as nice as these "weird" roun-butt redwood grips.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/105614/Smith_and_Wesson_-__Model_625-3_jpg-3186399.JPG
View Quote

Nice looking gun! I’m on the hunt for a good field holster as well as new grips; I probably will get a set of nice wood for presentation but want something “field practical” for the range and occasional hunts.

Looking at something like this for when it’s not lying around in the safe:
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/13/2024 6:54:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SDGlock23] [#33]
Good choice on the 5" 629.  The grips that come on it aren't anything to brag about, VZ makes good grips (it's a round butt frame) and to be honest, the Hogue Tamer grip is good too, it has the gel in it that soaks up some recoil.  I think you'll like it, mine has VZ grips on it and I put a Dawson Precision fiber optic front sight on it.  Altamont makes some pretty good wood grips as well.

Oh yeah don't forget about the rebate S&W has going on right now with their revolvers, I think it's $75 back.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 7:42:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: W_E_G] [#34]

Nice looking gun! I’m on the hunt for a good field holster as well as new grips; I probably will get a set of nice wood for presentation but want something “field practical” for the range and occasional hunts.

Looking at something like this for when it’s not lying around in the safe:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/100831/IMG_9266_jpeg-3186405.JPG
View Quote

I probably will end up getting a set of large knock-off Magna-type “target” grips.

I sort of want a holster for this gun. But I have QUITE A FEW handguns. Many better suited for self-defense carry than an N-frame revolver. Bianchi sells a $100 five-inch holster that looks good, and can be worn strong-side and cross-draw.

https://a.co/d/0BCWEP3

Serious commitment to the break-in process required! Not sure I’m “committed “ enough to the break-in to justify buying ANOTHER HOLSTER, and the storing it. I’ve already had to up-size the HOLSTER BOX several times. The holster situation is getting kinda ridiculous.

A 5-inch N frame is a big gun to wear on your hip.
Maybe doesn’t matter if you have no concerns about concealing.

An inexpensive cordura holster might be a good option if you almost never carry it. At least it skips the break-in ordeal. I don’t have any advice for holster-storage except GET A BIGGER BOX.

Here is how it compares to a Glock 17.
And I consider the 17 to be a bit too large for ideal conceal-carry.
The N-frame is Longer, taller, wider.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 1:01:16 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By W_E_G:

I probably will end up getting a set of large knock-off Magna-type “target” grips.

I sort of want a holster for this gun. But I have QUITE A FEW handguns. Many better suited for self-defense carry than an N-frame revolver. Bianchi sells a $100 five-inch holster that looks good, and can be worn strong-side and cross-draw.

https://a.co/d/0BCWEP3

Serious commitment to the break-in process required! Not sure I’m “committed “ enough to the break-in to justify buying ANOTHER HOLSTER, and the storing it. I’ve already had to up-size the HOLSTER BOX several times. The holster situation is getting kinda ridiculous.

A 5-inch N frame is a big gun to wear on your hip.
Maybe doesn’t matter if you have no concerns about concealing.

An inexpensive cordura holster might be a good option if you almost never carry it. At least it skips the break-in ordeal. I don’t have any advice for holster-storage except GET A BIGGER BOX.

Here is how it compares to a Glock 17.
And I consider the 17 to be a bit too large for ideal conceal-carry.
The N-frame is Longer, taller, wider.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/105614/IMG_2935_jpeg-3186498.JPG
View Quote

Damn, that’s a great comparison between the two. I have no intention of concealing it, ever. I absolutely do not need this but dang it, I just wanted a .44 Magnum. I prefer the aesthetic of square grips on these guns based off what I’ve seen so far. The round just seem small and don’t “balance” the gun, I thought the same with my L-Comp 586 with the bantam grip.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 6:11:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: W_E_G] [#36]
I agree, I prefer the LOOK of the square-butt grip.

You can buy grips that fit round-but that look externally just like square-butt.

But if you've held the two, unless you have Yeti-hands, the round-butt grips fit the hand vastly better on the N-Frame.

Form over function an all that jazz.

I didn't "need" 99% of the gun shit I bought.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 11:19:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Let the waiting begin. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 11:43:20 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 5:34:36 PM EDT
[#39]
Nice! Congrats.  This thread hurts my wallet and makes me want to get a .44 mag. All I have is .22lrs, .38s and .357s for revolvers.

You guys suck.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 4:04:10 PM EDT
[#40]
Too late but I was going to say it depends on what you want it for.  If you're shooting standard run of the mill factory 240 grain loads with the occasional 305 grain stuff, the S&W is a good choice but if you want to shoot the top end, hot stuff, the Ruger is definitely the way to go.  

I haven't had need of shooting the hotter/heavier stuff so my 629 V-Comp is just fine.
Top Top