Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/20/2024 8:06:52 PM EDT
For the S&W Shield Plus are the 15 round magazines or 13 round magazines more reliable?

I know in the past there was some issues with the different magazines and people were doing altercations on them.

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 8:10:05 PM EDT
[#1]
I can't say about the 15 rounders, but the 13rd have been 100% reliable for me. As far as modifications, I did have to work on the bottom of the followers but that was only to get all 13 rounds in. It was a common problem with these that was easy enough to fix.
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 9:17:30 PM EDT
[#2]
I have three of the 15 rounders. Mine work fine.
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 9:30:11 PM EDT
[#3]
I have 10 15-rd mags and a few 13-rd ones.  I haven't had issues with any of them.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 9:17:36 AM EDT
[#4]
I had 2 13s, and 2 15s, and had nothing but problems with them.  
They all required the "follower trim" you read about online in order to barely allow the full capacity to be loaded.  Then after short periods of being fully loaded, both 15s almost immediately started failing on the last 1 or 2 rounds out of the mag.

That being said, S&W customer service was curious and very quick to respond.  They immediately sent out 4 new springs and followers (they insist that the springs are the same for the 13s and 15s), and after replacement work great.  
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 6:32:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ETCss_McCrackin:
I had 2 13s, and 2 15s, and had nothing but problems with them.  
They all required the "follower trim" you read about online in order to barely allow the full capacity to be loaded.  Then after short periods of being fully loaded, both 15s almost immediately started failing on the last 1 or 2 rounds out of the mag.

That being said, S&W customer service was curious and very quick to respond.  They immediately sent out 4 new springs and followers (they insist that the springs are the same for the 13s and 15s), and after replacement work great.  
View Quote

This echos my experience.  I need to contact S&W regarding my 15s.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 1:14:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Never had an issue with either. Both run 100%.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 3:47:46 PM EDT
[#7]
I have several 13-rd and 15-rd mags too, and they've all been 100%.

Shield Plus mags are tight when new, but I've never had any issues with loading them to full capacity using a Mag Lula loader. After a few range trips they loosen up to the point that I can load them to full capacity by hand if needed. And these are unmodified, factory mags. I think I'd rather download a mag by 1 round than start trimming coils off of springs or shaving follower legs.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 10:52:45 AM EDT
[#8]
I have a 10 rounder and a 15 rounder that don’t hold the slide open when empty.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 6:04:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By INMY01TA:
I have a 10 rounder and a 15 rounder that don’t hold the slide open when empty.
View Quote

Take them out and stretch a little. Also make sure the cut end of spring is facing back of magazine. I’ve found if the cut is facing front of mag the slide wouldn’t lock back. YMMV
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 6:16:33 PM EDT
[#10]
I had to do the follower trim on my 13 rounder. It's worked great and so has the 10 rounder. I bought 2 15 rounders and didn't have to do anything with them. Both been 100% reliable but one of them will not lock the slide back.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:45:37 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a few 13rd mags that won't drop free bc the follower slides past the little nub on the slide release. Happens on 2 different Plus. It doesn't happen every single time but it's very repeatable when I load an mag.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:37:08 AM EDT
[#12]
My 13s have been 100% but I have a couple 15s that don't lock the slide back.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:31:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Husky629] [#13]
I reshaped the followers on my 13 round magazines, but the 13th round is a bugger to get in.  I have to use a LOT of force to lock it in place if fully loaded and the slide is closed.  I see that as an issue if I need to perform a tactical reload.  For that reason, I download all of my 13 round magazines to 12.  They have always functioned 100% with ether 12 or 13 rounds.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 8:04:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Peacekeeper3073:

Take them out and stretch a little. Also make sure the cut end of spring is facing back of magazine. I’ve found if the cut is facing front of mag the slide wouldn’t lock back. YMMV
View Quote

Thanks I’ll try this. And as for loading the last couple rounds in the 13 & 15’s I pretty much just make sure I bring my Uplula every range trip.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top