Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/2/2023 11:40:03 PM EDT
My google-fu must be weak these days. Needing help with which weight recoil spring I should pick up for my 5" Prodigy.

I just want one on hand as a spare. I'm up to almost 2000 rounds and know that I'll likely need to replace it eventually if I start noticing problems.

I mostly shoot 115gr at 1200fps. (Fiocchi factory loading)
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 11:10:39 AM EDT
[#1]
I want to say 10 lbs.  I have the 4.25”, and it’s using a 12 lb currently.
There was a huge prodigy thread somewhere that had tons of info and I can’t find it.
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 10:56:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mb121] [#2]
10 lb recoil spring and a 19 lb main spring should be in the 5”.  I’ve actually dropped to a 9 lb in mine for ~200 rounds out of the 1k I have through it.

I will say though that the factory 10 lb spring is shorter OAL than a Wolff or WC springs I have on hand (12, 10, 9 lbs).
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 11:15:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Thank you both. I may just pick up a 9,10 and maybe 12 and see what it cycles the best with when it comes time to change.
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 11:34:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Bye_Felicia:
Thank you both. I may just pick up a 9,10 and maybe 12 and see what it cycles the best with when it comes time to change.
View Quote

I was having issues with mine, and the issue turned out to be heavy duracoat on the rails and the disconnector dragging.
Before I figured that out I bought all the recoil springs, 9 to 14 lbs.
I think with all these springs I will find a perfect balance of function and control with a given load.
Mine just runs like a scalded ass ape with the 12 lb, I’m going to try the 11 and 10 next time out.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/5/2023 11:39:09 PM EDT
[#5]
This is Dawson Precision’s recommendations:

Link Posted: 12/6/2023 10:11:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Weste] [#6]
I have have two 1911 9mm pistols.

The first is a Ruger lightweight commander that came with a 10 pound recoil spring.  It would barely pass over the disconnector.  It ran very well with a 12 pound recoil spring.

My second is a Springfield Armory Prodigy.  I am not sure what the factory spring is but I replaced it with a 13 pound spring and it runs wonderfully.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top