Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/9/2024 3:08:48 PM EDT
I have one in 9MM, I once read where someone said they were basically built to the same specs as the TRP, any truth to this? I have a chance to buy a Combat Operator in 45ACP but if it’s basically a TRP I might pass as I already have a couple TRPs. Thanks Guys.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 8:26:35 PM EDT
[#1]
I believe there were some subtle differences, but pretty much.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 8:38:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dunderway] [#2]
From what I have read frame to slide and barrel fit is "matched" like a TRP,  has SACS tool steel ignition parts.

I have one in .45, and it seems like a LOT of gun for the money.  I may have gotten a luck of the draw gun, but mine seems to have a very good fit when looking at the lower and upper lugs/slide stop and almost zero slide play.  I would put it up against a lot of semi-customs I have handled and shot.

My only gripes would be the beavertail and thumb safety fit/dehorn, but I could also gripe about that in guns that cost $1000 more.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 8:38:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Did they have a rail .
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 8:44:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By triaxle:
Did they have a rail .
View Quote

https://lipseysguns.com/springfield-combat-operator-1911/
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 8:47:36 PM EDT
[#5]
I always thought the TRP and Operator were the same pistols. Their site doesn't really say much about what they do differently.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 8:52:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By dalle0001:
I always thought the TRP and Operator were the same pistols. Their site doesn't really say much about what they do differently.
View Quote
Operator is basically any gun SA has ever made with a rail (except for some reason a Ronin without a rail at one point).

TRP is their mid level gun with checkering, better fitting,etc.  You can also get a TRP operator.  Clear as mud? Lol
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 9:07:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks guys for the replies.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 9:36:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dalle0001] [#8]
Originally Posted By Dunderway:
Operator is basically any gun SA has ever made with a rail (except for some reason a Ronin without a rail at one point).

TRP is their mid level gun with checkering, better fitting,etc.  You can also get a TRP operator.  Clear as mud? Lol
View Quote

Yeah, I'm just wondering if the "Combat" operator is any different from a typical "Operator." According to an article the "Combat Operator" came out in 2015 and comes with a grey frame and black slide. The differences are it doesn't have front serrations for cocking, single sided safety, and just a regular sight (not night sights). According to the article it comes with the TRP barrel so I think that is the only thing shared between. https://lipseysguns.com/springfield-combat-operator-1911/

Apparently the only reason they call it the Combat Operator is because it comes in the grey/black finish.

Overall I think the OP should buy it. lol.

BTW, I own the Operator pistol and really like it. I don't think it's the same level as the "Combat Operator."
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 10:40:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By dalle0001:

Yeah, I'm just wondering if the "Combat" operator is any different from a typical "Operator." According to an article the "Combat Operator" came out in 2015 and comes with a grey frame and black slide. The differences are it doesn't have front serrations for cocking, single sided safety, and just a regular sight (not night sights). According to the article it comes with the TRP barrel so I think that is the only thing shared between. https://lipseysguns.com/springfield-combat-operator-1911/

Apparently the only reason they call it the Combat Operator is because it comes in the grey/black finish.

Overall I think the OP should buy it. lol.

BTW, I own the Operator pistol and really like it. I don't think it's the same level as the "Combat Operator."
View Quote
The standard Operators are great guns.  I mainly just bought mine for the 25lpi checkering which is a pretty pricy add on after you pay for shipping and refinishing.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 7:27:30 AM EDT
[#10]
The gun I seen must be a standard Operator
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 8:12:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Kind of a shame Lipsey's didn't keep rolling with continuous orders.  I guess it may have been a conflict of interest for Springfield.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 7:25:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By glock24:
Kind of a shame Lipsey's didn't keep rolling with continuous orders.  I guess it may have been a conflict of interest for Springfield.
View Quote

I agree they made some neat stuff.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 10:21:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Wish I had kept my 9mm.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 11:54:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sevin8nin] [#14]
quality wise it's not that much different than a TRP. Really most of the production guns from Springfield are pretty much on par for quality.  The Combat Operator was nice that it came with tool steel ignition parts.  That being said, mine has a terrible trigger that I've just lived with.  I also always thought the grey was more blue so i recently cerakoted the frame concrete.  
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 12:20:06 AM EDT
[#15]
The Combat Operator was a SACS pistol without the SACS price. Mine is exceptional.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 1:45:08 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Dunderway:
The standard Operators are great guns.  I mainly just bought mine for the 25lpi checkering which is a pretty pricy add on after you pay for shipping and refinishing.
View Quote

Are you talking about a TRP operator? One thing that makes it tough with Springfield is that there's been so many different configurations. For a long time their were basically 4 tiers for the Springfield 1911's production guns GI, Mil Spec, Loaded, and TRP. I think they did Operator versions of all of them at one point or another. The current Operator series seems similar to the old Loaded models. Throw in all the limited runs and it's hard to keep track of everything.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 2:34:18 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By monadh:
The Combat Operator was a SACS pistol without the SACS price. Mine is exceptional.
View Quote

Not sure how SACS does things, but probably a lot more hand fitting and QC checks than their normal production guns.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 3:22:57 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By WTFShane:

Not sure how SACS does things, but probably a lot more hand fitting and QC checks than their normal production guns.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By WTFShane:

I doubt there was a high level of fitting I don't remember them being very expensive. I think SACS gave a lot of input on the parts and configuration ie better guts and no plastic mainspring housing with chickenshit ILS. What's annoying is that they didn't do that on more of their guns.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 9:37:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Thanks again guys, lots of good info in here.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 1:14:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bad2006z71] [#20]
View Quote

No, it wasn't. It had some tool steel internals that weren't really fitted any better than their production guns.
My 2 had grip safety's and thumb safety's fitted no differently than their std production guns.
The OG SACS pistols where amazing.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 9:25:55 PM EDT
[#21]
owning both a SACS Custom Carry and the Combat Operator I can say that the latter is no where near the former.  
Despite having tool steel ignition parts my Combat Operator has a shite trigger.  After 4k rounds I still don't like it so that's next on the list of things to "fix".
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top