Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/14/2022 11:30:47 AM EDT
I know its been around for a while. Looking for some feedback from ownership. Thanks
Link Posted: 7/14/2022 11:51:56 AM EDT
[#1]
The only reason to own one is it’s folding feature.  Otherwise I found it kind of flimsy and impossible to get a good sight picture.  Sold mine and never regretted it.
Link Posted: 7/14/2022 1:12:29 PM EDT
[#2]
son has one.

its a fun little range gun, he keeps it mainly for a truck gun.

he will have a can out of jail in the near future (the 22nd will be 5 months-eform), waiting to see how it runs.
Link Posted: 7/14/2022 2:53:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Just considering something else to shoot 9mm. Quite a few options out there
Link Posted: 7/14/2022 3:30:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Xbolthunter] [#4]
Mine fails to eject last round periodically. It doesn't inspire confidence as something I'd depend on but is a fun range toy. A ton of polymer and a God awful trigger
FYI...if the last round doesn't eject and gets slammed into feed ramp it can mangle it. The MCARBO stainless ramp is a must have in my opinion
Link Posted: 7/14/2022 5:33:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Xbolthunter:
Mine fails to eject last round periodically. It doesn't inspire confidence as something I'd depend on but is a fun range toy. A ton of polymer and a God awful trigger
FYI...if the last round doesn't eject and gets slammed into feed ramp it can mangle it. The MCARBO stainless ramp is a must have in my opinion
View Quote

Not much encouragement from that, prob others too
Link Posted: 7/16/2022 10:14:19 PM EDT
[#6]
I've owned probably five of them.  I have never, ever has a single problem with any one of the ones I've had.  All the ones I've has have been 9mm, both gen 1 and gen 2.  My biggest complaint is that for a 9mm, there is a decent amount of felt recoil from it.  Its a blowback "rifle" so its going to recoil but I always thought it was a bit more than other similar 9mm carbines.  

If the Sub2k doesn't do it for you, check out the Extar EP9.  I think that is the best low buck 9mm pistols/carbine money can buy.  I've got over 3k rounds through mine and have never had any issue.  Eventually I'm going to clean it.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 10:48:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Tipsovr:
I've owned probably five of them.  I have never, ever has a single problem with any one of the ones I've had.  All the ones I've has have been 9mm, both gen 1 and gen 2.  My biggest complaint is that for a 9mm, there is a decent amount of felt recoil from it.  Its a blowback "rifle" so its going to recoil but I always thought it was a bit more than other similar 9mm carbines.  

If the Sub2k doesn't do it for you, check out the Extar EP9.  I think that is the best low buck 9mm pistols/carbine money can buy.  I've got over 3k rounds through mine and have never had any issue.  Eventually I'm going to clean it.
View Quote

Just watched video on the Extar, looked good
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 10:59:58 AM EDT
[#8]
I like mine. One of the funnest guns to shoot. Takes everything I put in it for ammo, no jams whatsoever. Mine is a 40 cal though so mileage may vary.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 4:26:03 PM EDT
[#9]
I had a G19 S2000. It was fun. The ability to fold it is obviously the main reason that people buy one, whether to carry in a vehicle, backpack, etc. Unfortunately, as others have mentioned, the thing is constructed mostly of polymer and not in a good way. I was always fearful that something was going to break and I didn’t want to have to deal with sending it back to KT. I do wish that I would have kept it just for the novelty sake.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 4:58:23 PM EDT
[#10]
It's very handy for certain establishments in Texas that are afraid of pistols.  I leave the pistols in the car & sail in w/ my rifle in my sling bag.

Bought one for my then 18 yr old daughter as well, she could carry it in one of her large purses.  It does kick a bit being so light w/ the bolt slamming home into your shoulder, and the optic solutions are interesting.  Keep meaning to put a red dot on mine w/ one of these sideways mounts.

RedLion & MCarbo are your friend.

I have no problems getting on the sights, but there are several ways to solve that issue if you have it.

If you have a Gen 1, KelTec will replace yours w/ a brand new Gen 2 for a nominal price.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 5:16:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mini14jac] [#11]
I found mine to be so hard to get a sight picture on that I sold it without ever attaching a can to it.

Wanted to like it, did not want to spend extra money on aftermarket parts to make it likable.

And bolt smacking me in the jaw on every shot got old quick.

Other than those issues it was awesome.

Maybe MP5s have spoiled me.

ETA:
And the trigger!!!!
I’m no trigger snob but I would pull it all the way back to the grip and wonder if the safety was on, then pull a little harder and “Bang!”.

Plan on spending $600-1000 to make it a better gun.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 5:58:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By mini14jac:  I found mine to be so hard to get a sight picture on that I sold it without ever attaching a can to it.

Wanted to like it, did not want to spend extra money on aftermarket parts to make it likable.

ETA:
And the trigger!!!!
I’m no trigger snob but I would pull it all the way back to the grip and wonder if the safety was on, then pull a little harder and “Bang!”.

View Quote

Shrug.  I haven't.  I just threw the can on it & run it w/ 40 rnd ETS mags and steel.  I should get the heavier bolt weight but haven't bothered yet.
Link Posted: 1/29/2023 1:29:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Decent plinking gun
I wouldn’t do much more with it
Link Posted: 1/29/2023 3:38:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By backbencher:

Shrug.  I haven't.  I just threw the can on it & run it w/ 40 rnd ETS mags and steel.  I should get the heavier bolt weight but haven't bothered yet.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By mini14jac:  I found mine to be so hard to get a sight picture on that I sold it without ever attaching a can to it.

ETA:
And the trigger!!!!

Motown_Steve reports that my Form 1 can is very quiet w/ HP 147 grn Winchester.  And the 33 round factory Glock mag that runs steel from my SUB is now in Glock's hands w/ my Gen 5 26 b/c it couldn't feed reliably in the same outing w/ Motown_Steve, so a suppressed Gen 2 SUB-2000 is more reliable w/ factory Glock mags then a Gen 5 26.  

If you happen to not be a Glock magwell fanboi like me, the multimag version of the SUB will take Beretta 92, CZ-75, Canik, SIG 226, 320/250, S&W 59, & M&P mags with the change of a $8 magcatch.  Several come in the box.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 3:53:36 AM EDT
[#15]
I have a first gen Sub2000 that uses 92fs mags.  Only thing I don't like is how hard it can be to clean.  I've never had any problems.  I painted mine.  Did a few Mcarbo trigger upgrades.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 3:59:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By inmyshadow:
I have a first gen Sub2000 that uses 92fs mags.  Only thing I don't like is how hard it can be to clean.  I've never had any problems.  I painted mine.  Did a few Mcarbo trigger upgrades.
View Quote

You know you can get the Gen 2 for like $100 from KelTec?  Call em, they'll give you a price.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 11:45:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: inmyshadow] [#17]
I'm not worried.  Plus I live in a state where the sub2000 is banned by name.

You know you can get the Gen 2 for like $100 from KelTec?  Call em, they'll give you a price.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/2/2023 11:55:02 AM EDT
[#18]
I have a gen 1 that uses Glock mags.  Had it for about 14 years.  It’s been a great gun, never a malfunction, except for one time the barrel came loose and could be rotated by hand, although the gun still fired fine.  Factory fixed it free and had it back to me a week after I sent it to them.

The sights are rudimentary, but very easy to use and mine has been dead nuts accurate.  I’ve used it with a lot of newer shooters and they’ve all loved it.  

I haven’t used it in the last few years, as it doesn’t have a threaded barrel, but have badly wanted to add a second gen since it’s threaded.  Only found out last week about the upgrade deal from keltec, and will probably take advantage of it.  Also seriously considering trying to track down the integrally suppressed version.
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 6:28:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RangeToy] [#19]
Originally Posted By Ammunition:
I have a gen 1 that uses Glock mags.  Had it for about 14 years.  It’s been a great gun, never a malfunction, except for one time the barrel came loose and could be rotated by hand, although the gun still fired fine.  Factory fixed it free and had it back to me a week after I sent it to them.

The sights are rudimentary, but very easy to use and mine has been dead nuts accurate.  I’ve used it with a lot of newer shooters and they’ve all loved it.  

I haven’t used it in the last few years, as it doesn’t have a threaded barrel, but have badly wanted to add a second gen since it’s threaded.  Only found out last week about the upgrade deal from keltec, and will probably take advantage of it.  Also seriously considering trying to track down the integrally suppressed version.
View Quote

I'm on my 3rd. Should have kept the 1st!
Folding feature is the main attraction for me as a backpack type gun .
Accurate, easy to shoot, reliable, doesn't cost a fortune. What's not to like?

I upgraded my rear sight to the MCARBO, adding the MCARBO cover, put a light/laser on and an offset Romeo Zero in a Magpul light mount I had in the parts bin so it still folds. I really need to pull it out & run it with my Obsidian 9 can to see how it goes.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 1:09:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Hard to get sight alignment, recoil from the huge two piece bolt, terrible feeding reliability due to the plastic feed ramp......yeah I know there are aftermarket meatal ones but there is no reason I should have to upgrade a main component of the gun.

After two years of owning it and horrible reliability I sold it for $200 more than I paid for it and bought a Scorpion.....that I never shot. Then I upgraded to a Stribog for the semi roller delayed function.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 1:37:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By quixtr:
I know its been around for a while. Looking for some feedback from ownership. Thanks
View Quote

Own the .40? Here are the treasures you seek:
https://www.mcarbo.com/kel-tec-sub-2000-accessories.aspx

You need a new feed ramp.

I use mine for hog hunting with great effect out to 100 yards.  Haters gonna hate.
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 11:27:54 AM EDT
[#22]
It's very handy for certain establishments in Texas that are afraid of pistols.  I leave the pistols in the car & sail in w/ my rifle in my sling bag.

View Quote

You keep posting this, but where exactly bans handguns that you can still legally carry this AND is worth the trouble to do so vs ignoring a silly sign.  

In my part of dfw, there are very few 30.06 signs.  Combine that with the actual risk of getting caught, plus the actual risk of no consequence punishment if you didn't leave, and I don't see the point and carrying around a goofy plastic rifle.

Of course I bought one anyway . As cheap as it was, I'm certainly not going to sink money into making it usable so I'll probably be dumping it for what little money I paid for it.  

I don't own many firearms, and I'm certainly not going to waste time only something that's not thought out.
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 4:28:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By DavidY:

You keep posting this, but where exactly bans handguns that you can still legally carry this AND is worth the trouble to do so vs ignoring a silly sign.  

In my part of dfw, there are very few 30.06 signs.  Combine that with the actual risk of getting caught, plus the actual risk of no consequence punishment if you didn't leave, and I don't see the point and carrying around a goofy plastic rifle.

Of course I bought one anyway . As cheap as it was, I'm certainly not going to sink money into making it usable so I'll probably be dumping it for what little money I paid for it.  

I don't own many firearms, and I'm certainly not going to waste time only something that's not thought out.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DavidY:
Originally Posted By backbencher:  It's very handy for certain establishments in Texas that are afraid of pistols.  I leave the pistols in the car & sail in w/ my rifle in my sling bag.

I travel all over the state, often go to the sad parts of DFW, and happily no longer visit Austin as much as I once did, but I've found it handy on several occasions when FW_wife asked me to pick something up from someone who hates us, or out with friends for lunch and they want to eat liberal burgers.

I'm replacing mine w/ a Fold-AR, that will have the added benefit of instantly transitioning to a 16" pistol by dint of removing the shoulder stock, as I'll start it out on a virgin receiver & building it as an AR 16" bbl pistol.  Then it can go into beer stores w/ me.  Sadly, I'll give up caliber & mag compatibility w/ my primary & BUG.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 5:04:10 PM EDT
[#24]
I did a dumb thing and bought another gen 2 cause it was 250 after rebate

still sucks just as much to shoot as my other one
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 5:45:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Member13:
I did a dumb thing and bought another gen 2 cause it was 250 after rebate

still sucks just as much to shoot as my other one
View Quote

Get the heavier bolt weight?
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 11:29:57 PM EDT
[#26]
I bought one from a guy that had Mcarbo install ever upgrade option they offer.
It's amazingly accurate.
As a lefty, I had to immediately add the kydex powder/shell deflector. Without that I would have sold it immediately.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top