Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/14/2024 11:40:14 PM EDT
One of the big differences between these two guns is the standard grip frame.  If I understand correctly most single sixes have an anodized aluminum grip frame with very soft aluminum underneath.  The super wrangler has a Zmak grip frame (cast zinc alloy).  Which is better / stronger?  Which would be better on a gun that’s going to get knocked around when carried?  Thoughts?
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 9:27:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: VASCAR2] [#1]
My opinion as I only own a Wrangler but every Zmak gun I saw was softer than a comparable aluminum slide or frame.   Super Single Six are a known product with good service for decades.   I’ve never seen or heard of Ruger super single six being worn out especially stainless steel model.   My Wrangler is a fine inexpensive range toy.   I see the Super Wrangler as a decent easier and cheaper gun to manufacture handgun.  I’d be surprised if you could damage a Super Wrangler in a holster bad enough to make it unserviceable.   I’d be more apt to use a Super Wrangler unless the gun was a real tool and was going to be used extensively.   I’m cheap but for a defensive tool I want reliability.

Ruger has good customer service and I can’t see them not supporting the Super Single Six for decades.   A Super Single Six would probably hold up better using it as a hammer to drive nails.   Unless it was a very serious situation I wouldn’t use any handgun for such but I know people who would.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 11:05:16 AM EDT
[#2]

Stainless!!!

Link Posted: 4/15/2024 5:14:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Single Six is all steel, right?  That would make it tougher, but more pricey too, then again it's a nicer gun.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 6:23:31 PM EDT
[#4]
My concern is just the grip frame which gets beat up due to exposure when holstered.  It is aluminum alloy on most single sixes and Zmak alloy on the Super Wrangler.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 9:07:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Not cheap but steel and stainless steel grip frames can be added to the Wrangler and Single Six.

My son and I have Super Wranglers and I feel like they would stand up to normal to rough use pretty well.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 9:37:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SDGlock23:
Single Six is all steel, right?  That would make it tougher, but more pricey too, then again it's a nicer gun.
View Quote
You can see the aluminum parts:

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top