Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/29/2024 8:58:49 PM EDT
I’m a red dot convert. I’ve slowly milled all my glock 26’s/19’s over the past several years for Rmrs. The red dot has really just given me the feedback I needed to take my training to another level. I still find myself longing for some iron sites occasionally though. For instance I do a lot of manual labor around my house and my Rmrs get filthy. Sometimes I go shooting in horrible weather and the Rmr becomes a mess. I also would like to pick up a single stack G43 with irons for when I need real deep concealment. So my question is does anybody have experience going back and forth?  Do you find they are contradictory or mutually beneficial and that training on one directly helps training on the other. Thanks
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:21:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TGWLDR] [#1]
Originally Posted By AndysAR15name:
I’m a red dot convert. I’ve slowly milled all my glock 26’s/19’s over the past several years for Rmrs. The red dot has really just given me the feedback I needed to take my training to another level. I still find myself longing for some iron sites occasionally though. For instance I do a lot of manual labor around my house and my Rmrs get filthy. Sometimes I go shooting in horrible weather and the Rmr becomes a mess. I also would like to pick up a single stack G43 with irons for when I need real deep concealment. So my question is does anybody have experience going back and forth?  Do you find they are contradictory or mutually beneficial and that training on one directly helps training on the other. Thanks
View Quote

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Handguns/Mixing-RDS-pistols-into-rotation-with-irons/58-213020/
Related discussion.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:23:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rodent] [#2]
No matter what you're using, the technique is the same. Push the front sight towards the target and look for it. If you have a red dot, the red dot will magically appear. If you have a laser, the laser will magically appear. If you have neither a red dot nor a laser, acquire the front sight.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 9:27:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AndysAR15name] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Rodent:
No matter what you're using, the technique is the same. Push the front sight towards the target and look for it. If you have a red dot, the red dot will magically appear. If you have a laser, the laser will magically appear. If you have neither a red dot nor a laser, acquire the front sight.
View Quote

For me the technique is completely opposite. With a red dot i'm not looking for any sites at all. I'm looking at my targets and the red dot appears on them. With irons I used to shift my focus off the target and look for the front site, as you say.

Maybe since I've perfected the draw and press out with the red dot, I can just look past the iron sights and let them ghost out as well now.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 9:27:43 AM EDT
[#4]

Cool missed that, thanks.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 10:16:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: spyderboy03] [#5]
Unless you are totally against Holosun, the EPS or EPS Carry would help with that. I have an EPS on my P-10C and a 507 Comp on my P-10F. Took a class this past weekend and got rain both days. Shot my C both days and F most of the second day. Rain never affected the EPS. The rain did cause a cut off right through the middle of the 507 Comp. The dot would just disappear. Blowing it out real quick fixed it, but it reaffirmed the EPS for me.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 3:34:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Mastering red dots has also drastically increased my iron sight proficiency.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 3:47:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By MandPdude:
View Quote

Same here
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:10:16 PM EDT
[#8]
No problem.  

Last year I did one pistol class with a RDS equipped pistol and another class using a pistol only with irons.

Link Posted: 5/5/2024 8:35:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By MandPdude:
View Quote

Following up to say I went ahead and picked up an iron sight G26. Apparently the past few years of red dot shooting have made me a better iron sight shooter than the previous 15 years of actually shooting iron sights.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 8:42:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Pro Tip.... if you use Fiber Optic front sight, use a different color than red at least early on if you're switching back and forth. When I got a RMR humpteen years ago, I had a red FO on my IDPA gun. Do you know how many times I just "put the red dot on target". It works up close but not good on steel lol
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 6:10:09 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm a recent dot convert. Only a few hundred rounds with dots so long way to go, but I am making progress. It's about practice.

Top Top