Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Posted: 3/12/2024 9:36:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: scotchymcdrinkerbean]
I have a huge stockpile of .32 S&W long ammo, and have decided that my retirement present to myself will be a .327 Federal magnum revolver.  I am going to purchase either a Ruger SP101 3 inch, a Ruger LCR, or a Ruger LCRx.

ETA:  I may actually carry the thing as a concealed carry weapon, especially as I get older and more recoil averse.  Feel free to chime in with reasons for one versus the others.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 11:12:04 PM EDT
[#1]
The SP101 is a classic, and will last forever. I’ve always been partial to the SP101 with a 3” barrel.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 11:41:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Detn8r-Red2:  The SP101 is a classic, and will last forever. I’ve always been partial to the SP101 with a 3” barrel.
View Quote

I coat pocket carry a 101 in 9mm, but it's heavy.  As OP ages, he can drop down to S&W wadcutters and have the same penetration the LCR will give him w/ Magnums.  I voted for the LCRx, as the time may come he'll need to cock the hammer, inshallah.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 4:54:30 AM EDT
[#3]
I very much like my SP101 2 1/4" .357mag  that I've owned 10 or more years. Heavy obviously, carry's well OWB or IWB for CCW. Will last a lifetime. My carry ammo is Remington 125gr JHP. Shown here in a MK-Tek IWB holster.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 11:54:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: shockerjm6] [#4]
Have you considered those new j frames from S&W in 32H&R Mag? They look promising to me. https://www.lipseys.com/itemdetail?itemno=SM14034
Otherwise, my vote is LCRx. My 38 special version is great.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 1:55:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Sp101

I am eyeing the 4” with adjustable sights.  If I get it I will likely use .32 H&R brass.  

BTW Speer HBWC in a Lapua .32 S&W Long case with WST has been very accurate in my S&W 31-1.

My dream gun would be a 4” Model 16 in .32 H&R.   The Sp101 4” is as close to that as I can afford.  If I got one, I’d likely never load .327 in it.

Do it!  

That reminds me I need to go to the F&G club post up my “sock drawer” model 28 to get the cash for the SP101. (N frames are just a bit large for my paws)
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 1:58:55 PM EDT
[#6]
SP101 all day long.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 9:17:49 PM EDT
[#7]
SP101, only b/c there's no option for a S&W.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 9:26:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By 12milesout:
SP101, only b/c there's no option for a S&W.
View Quote

Well, given my other 24 S&W revolvers, one would have been an option if they still made one.....

Link Posted: 3/13/2024 9:53:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: scotchymcdrinkerbean] [#9]
Well, 24 hours of voting, and the forum has spoken in a landslide.  A 3 inch SP101 in .327 Federal is now, or presumably tomorrow morning, on its way to a local FFL.

ETA:  At the time of this post, it was 25 SP101, 1 LCR, and 6 LCRx.
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 10:02:41 AM EDT
[#10]
I love a 3” SP, have had one for 16 years and don’t think I’ll ever be without one.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 7:18:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Seven-Shooter] [#11]
Originally Posted By scotchymcdrinkerbean:

Well, given my other 24 S&W revolvers, one would have been an option if they still made one.....

View Quote
Did they ever actually make a .327, or are they still refusing out of spite?  (Or do they think they can reinvent the wheel again with ".3270 S&W Super Carry Fullhouse Magnum"?)
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 9:43:42 PM EDT
[#12]
First of all, congrats on retirement. Second, the SP101 is a super durable pistol and a great performer.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 3:29:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Seven-Shooter:
Did they ever actually make a .327, or are they still refusing out of spite?  (Or do they can reinvent the wheel again with ".3270 S&W Super Carry Fullhouse Magnum"?)
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Seven-Shooter:
Originally Posted By scotchymcdrinkerbean:

Did they ever actually make a .327, or are they still refusing out of spite?  (Or do they can reinvent the wheel again with ".3270 S&W Super Carry Fullhouse Magnum"?)

They made the 632-2 for a bit, and I think another one, but not any more.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 3:30:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By patw:
First of all, congrats on retirement. Second, the SP101 is a super durable pistol and a great performer.
View Quote

I actually have a .357 2 inch that was my backup weapon for a while.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 5:22:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dump1567] [#15]
Looks like I missed the voting before you ordered.  I went with the LCR.  If you truly want to shoot or carry 327 Mag, then that would be my choice (and own one).  Otherwise, the new S&W 432UC in .32 H&R.  I also have the LCRx in 9mm.  I really don't have a use for the hammer.  And it can (not always) interfere with pocket carry or pocket firing (think jacket pocket).  I also use to have the SP 101 in 9mm.  Nice gun, but I really didn't need the extra weight.  And mine was only a 2.25".  If you really want to shoot a lot of .327 mag, then maybe.  But you have plenty of .32 S&W Long options. The LCR's in 9mm & .327 are heavy enough.  Especially if pocket carry comes into play (they're heavier than the other LCR calibers).   Another factor is trigger.  Some don't like the longer pull of the LCR series.  So, handling & dry firing all your options would have been good prior to your decision making on what would work best for your needs.

Anyway, these are my opinions based on what I like.  Everyone will be different.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 10:51:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By dump1567:  Looks like I missed the voting before you ordered.  I went with the LCR.  If you truly want to shoot or carry 327 Mag, then that would be my choice (and own one).  Otherwise, the new S&W 432UC in .32 H&R.  I also have the LCRx in 9mm.  I really don't have a use for the hammer.  And it can (not always) interfere with pocket carry or pocket firing (think jacket pocket).  I also use to have the SP 101 in 9mm.  Nice gun, but I really didn't need the extra weight.  And mine was only a 2.25".  If you really want to shoot a lot of .327 mag, then maybe.  But you have plenty of .32 S&W Long options. The LCR's in 9mm & .327 are heavy enough.  Especially if pocket carry comes into play (they're heavier than the other LCR calibers).   Another factor is trigger.  Some don't like the longer pull of the LCR series.  So, handling & dry firing all your options would have been good prior to your decision making on what would work best for your needs.

Anyway, these are my opinions based on what I like.  Everyone will be different.
View Quote

Based on limited pocket firing of my SP 101, the exposed hammer is a snag hazard on the draw if you fail to cover it w/ your thumb as you should, not a detriment to pocket firing.  Nor is one necessarily the only number of rounds you'll get out of a semi-auto in a pocket, although you are well advised to wear gloves before pocket shooting a semi-auto.

Purses are even more difficult to aim than pockets, albeit I have very limited experience with purses, while I'm quite used to jacket pockets in the 2.5 months of Texas "winter" every year.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 6:53:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Well, went to the shop to pick up the SP101 today.....and there was an LCR in .327 there.  I took it as a sign, or maybe as some previously uncounted absentee or mail in ballots, and brought it home with me:

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top