Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/14/2024 2:18:17 PM EDT
I posted earlier about this hotrod RIA 1911. Well here's the tail of the tape so far.
The thousand round check up saw that the front lug on the barrel was showing the signs of a steady diet of 200 grain Keith spec's launched at 1250 to 1300 fps. The pressed on break also rattled itself loose. The lugs, rails and the rest of the 1911 are all still in very good condition. I tested it with a couple boxes of standard loaded 230 grain fmj's with the stock narrel to make sure the base gun was still in good working orderl after complete disassembly. It functioned like it did when new.
So a new barrel and comp were in order for the next 500. This go round it's a threaded Swenson barrel with a 450 Bushmaster comp. It looks a bit odd but functions much better than the pressed comp barrel.    
I'll be using 185 Keith spec's pushed between 1220+ to testing up to 1350, with most range rounds at the 1250 fps range. After chronograph testing the loads between 10.0 to 11.0 of Longshot yielded a bit under what I thought it would, 1210 to 1310. At the high end the large primer cases started showing the same swipes on the large primers. Next week I'll run the loads from 10.8 to 11.5 with the small primer cases using bench rest rifle primers. These cases ran without pressure signs until 1350 fps with the 200 grain bullets.
I ran 100 of the 10.3 Longshot loads today. These ran 1240 and were very accurate. More accurate than the 200 through the other barrel.
The target was shot at 10 yards off hand and again, I know the comp make it look odd but functions very well. On the low end it still bests a 10mm, 357 and operates at a lower pressure.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/4DKWtHoxJ96KUHmR6
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 4:10:22 PM EDT
[#1]
I am not surprised to hear that you have wear on the barrel after only 500 rounds.  You may get by for more with your new muzzle brake.  Still, high pressure loads are hard on barrel lugs and slides.  Every one worries about the frame, but the stresses are really going to show up at the slide/barrel interface.  As always, good case support is important.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 9:28:05 PM EDT
[#2]
It was 1000 rounds ( kind of in the title) and the first 100 were load development that went well into full Rowland velocities. I have named it 460 Kurtz because I'm running it in-between 45 Super and 460 Rowland.
I went at this with a multi fold approach. The first being I wanted a 1911 that had more umph than a 10 mm, 357 mag and would equal low end 44 magnum. I wanted to do this with exclusively 45 acp cases or if necessary 45/08 cases.
One with less recoil, easy to carry in a shoulder holster and easy to deploy. A pistol that was more reliable than a 460 Rowland with hard cast bullets. One that would reliably penetrate a black bear in a similar situation I was in tracking a wounded one two seasons ago in the mountains of North Carolina where I carried a L frame 357.
I also wanted to see if it could be done, by me, for me. Something that is unique to me.
I have accomplished all of the above. My loads for hunting produce 800+ foot pound of energy with near no malfunctions or misfeeds in the last 200 rounds with the wearing barrel. The new barrel running the slightly lighter loads producing energy's of a hot 10 mm or 357 was 100% reliable with the first 100 rounds. This Thursday
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 11:22:31 PM EDT
[#3]
THanks for the update. Ive been thinking about doing a 460 rowland since then came out.... Ill get around to it one of these days.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top