Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/28/2023 3:25:26 PM EDT
I'm expecting a Tisas 9mm 1911 and had read somewhere sbout using JB bore paste to smooth the rails on the slide and frame.  

I've used JB on barrel cleaning, it's softer than steel but harder than copper as heard it said.  I suppose it could smooth the ceracoat finish but has anyone heard of this?

I normally disassemble, clean, grease and oil but curious about the JB.
Link Posted: 11/28/2023 4:36:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Personally I’d just work it by hand a few hundred times with a little lube of your choice.  

Whatever you do just be really careful using abrasives like that on slide rails. Hard to put the metal back and all

Link Posted: 11/28/2023 6:51:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: M4BlackRifle] [#2]
Clean and lube new gun.   Shoot new gun.   Enjoy new gun.    Keep nasty things away from gun.
Link Posted: 11/28/2023 6:54:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By M4BlackRifle:
Clean and lube new gun.   Shoot new gun.   Enjoy new gun.    Keep nasty things away from gun.
View Quote

Yea this.  

Don't put erosion enhancers on your gun.  It'll wear in just fine on its own.
Link Posted: 11/28/2023 7:13:37 PM EDT
[#4]
I would just oil it well and shoot it a bunch.  If there are still failures after the first 200 rounds then maybe consider doing more involved stuff.  You shouldn't need to use abrasives on a brand new gun, even if is Turkish.
Link Posted: 11/28/2023 7:18:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Tiribulus] [#5]
My 9mm Carry had some cycling issues outta the box because of the coating on the rails. I worked it back and forth by hand for several minutes at the range actually that first day and haven't had an issue since.

If you take the slide off, take the barrel out and put the slide back on by itself, you can tell whether yours has this situation or not. That's how I discovered it on mine.
Link Posted: 11/29/2023 8:40:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: cmalone1] [#6]
No need for JB. My frame to slide fit was nice and tight, but not so tight that it caused malfunctions. Just to slick it up a little I put some grease on the rails and cycled it by hand a few hundred times.

Not had a single issue with fmj, hst, or rmr hp reloads. I'm at 800 rounds on it now.
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 7:27:15 AM EDT
[#7]
New 1911 guns = take it apart and clean it of all the shipping lube.

Lube it with FP 10.

Go shoot it about 100 rounds and clean it - lube it again and you are probably done breaking it in.

Clean it everytime you shoot it - shooting it dirty is wearing it out.

Keep abrasives off the rails - it was already fitted.

Link Posted: 12/20/2023 7:23:58 PM EDT
[#8]
so if you were BUILDING a 1911 and lapping the slide you MIGHT wanna use that....

DO NOT put JB Bore paste on your slide rails on a fit gun....

if you dont believe it will take metal off order a front bushing for it when it comes in and you can use the JB to lap the bushing and when its done it will be hand turnable but very tight....

ONE MORE TIME .... DO NOT DO THIS ON YOUR SLIDE RAILS

JMO of course and its your gun.

If its tight clean it put it together without oil and run the slide without the recoil spring back and forth for a min or two... Personally I havent seen that issue with a TISAS, did see it with a RIA and I did what I told you, when it gums up take it apart clean it again and put a little light oil on it and do it again.  Like I said I havent seen that issue.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top