Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/15/2024 2:25:19 PM EDT
I recently purchased a Tank Commander that will feed nothing but round-nose ball. I noticed as soon as I received it (ordered from an online dealer) that the feed ramp was way too shallow. Sure enough, nothing will chamber but ball. Anything else, any factory hollowpoint and even flat-nose FMJ, the bottom half of the nose of the projectile slams into the un-machined portion of the frame that should be feed ramp and locks the gun up. Multiple mags and types of ammo tested, made no difference. I got ahold of SDS customer service and told them what the problem was, and that I had purchased this pistol as a carry gun and it needed to feed hollowpoints. Sent them pics of the ramp compared to a proper one on a Colt. They said they didn't machine their feed ramps to 'Colt specs', but send it in and we'll look at it. I told them the ramp was machined improperly and I would like the gun repaired or replaced under warranty.

Almost a month later I get my gun back with no communication about what was done. It's dirty and had clearly been fired, but nothing has been fixed or altered. When I emailed them asking for clarification, I finally get a response that basically says 1911s will only feed ball and this one fed ball fine, so there's no issue.

I ordered an EGW mag catch as a last-ditch effort, but there's not enough play in the magazine for it to matter, I think. The ramp is so shallow that the top round would have to come up a good eighth of an inch to feed properly. Pushing the mag up as far as it will go in the magwell by hand results in the same issue.

It's really too bad, as otherwise this is a very nice gun. Slide to frame fit is amazing, finish is very well done and the trigger is very good. But now it's gonna cost me to have a good 'smith properly machine the ramp so it's useable as something besides a range toy. I can see having to perform minor tweaks on a new 1911 to get it to run 100% with defensive ammo, but this is not acceptable.

Link Posted: 3/15/2024 2:43:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, tbh, I've had Springfields with that problem,  and maybe my Dan Wesson (sold years ago).

Yeah, it's an issue.  It's also a $400 pistol.  "2 world wars" was with ball
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 2:51:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By NotIssued:
Well, tbh, I've had Springfields with that problem,  and maybe my Dan Wesson (sold years ago).

Yeah, it's an issue.  It's also a $400 pistol.  "2 world wars" was with ball
View Quote

Yeah, I can't carry ball.  Regardless of the price, I don't expect defects of this nature in a pistol.  Yep, any 1911 manufacturer can have this issue; it's the refusal to fix it that ticks me off.  I know they can machine a proper feed ramp because I've seen other 1911s of theirs that had one.  This one is defective.  I should just suck it up and be content with my range toy that can't fulfill it's intended purpose because it was only $400?  What's the dollar threshold where you expect your guns to work right?
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 9:16:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: maxima2] [#3]
You could just trade it in for one of those "others" you refer to.

Post a picture - can't see what you are talking about.

Link Posted: 3/15/2024 9:24:39 PM EDT
[#4]
I've had 3 Tisas 1911 45's, and they all had trouble with JHP's. I now have a 9mm Tisas, and it feeds HP's just fine, but it has a ramped barrel.
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 10:21:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Sparky315:

Yeah, I can't carry ball.  Regardless of the price, I don't expect defects of this nature in a pistol.  Yep, any 1911 manufacturer can have this issue; it's the refusal to fix it that ticks me off.  I know they can machine a proper feed ramp because I've seen other 1911s of theirs that had one.  This one is defective.  I should just suck it up and be content with my range toy that can't fulfill it's intended purpose because it was only $400?  What's the dollar threshold where you expect your guns to work right?
View Quote

Working right .... well, it sounds like it is.

Not to be a dick, but you can see threads daily about how some guns like certain ammo more than others.  

I agree it's annoying AF, and I think it should be better, but have you tried different non-ball options?   HST vs Hornady vs Gold Dots, etc?

At the end of the day, sell it and move on if it doesn't meet your standards.
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 10:48:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Can we see pics?
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 10:57:05 PM EDT
[#7]
If it makes you feel better, 45acp doesn't need any of that sissy hollowpoint crap anyway.

Ball will be just fine.
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 11:02:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By sgtlmj:
I've had 3 Tisas 1911 45's, and they all had trouble with JHP's. I now have a 9mm Tisas, and it feeds HP's just fine, but it has a ramped barrel.
View Quote

6 Tisas 44, 2 Tosas 10mm, 1 Tisas 9 and a MAC 45.. None are ammo sensitive
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 11:16:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Sparky315] [#9]

Not to be a dick, but you can see threads daily about how some guns like certain ammo more than others.  

I agree it's annoying AF, and I think it should be better, but have you tried different non-ball options?   HST vs Hornady vs Gold Dots, etc?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

It’s right there in my original post, that I tried multiple kinds of ammunition and multiple magazines. The gun is not “working right”.  I’m well aware that some guns like some kinds of ammo better than others.  This one will feed absolutely nothing but 230 grain round nose ball, no matter what magazine I use. And it’s because the ramp is too shallow.

I may sell it and move on, although I’m not sure who would buy it knowing it has issues.  I may send it to a good Gunsmith that can machine the feed ramp to the proper dimensions so that I can actually use the damn thing. Not sure what that has to do with me posting about the issues on a gun forum.  Not looking for pity or advice, just sharing my experience so that anybody else who’s thinking about buying a Tisas 1911 sight unseen can be aware.

For those who want pictures, I’ll try and post them in the next few days
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 11:24:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: aod886] [#10]
You'll find across the board commander and officer sized 1911's are hit or miss with feeding reliability.

Some folks get better results with swapping out main springs, some with modifying the ramp.
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 11:38:40 PM EDT
[#11]

It’s right there in my original post, that I tried multiple kinds of ammunition and multiple magazines. The gun is not “working right”.  I’m well aware that some guns like some kinds of ammo better than others.  This one will feed absolutely nothing but 230 grain round nose ball, no matter what magazine I use. And it’s because the ramp is too shallow.

I may sell it and move on, although I’m not sure who would buy it knowing it has issues.  I may send it to a good Gunsmith that can machine the feed ramp to the proper dimensions so that I can actually use the damn thing. Not sure what that has to do with me posting about the issues on a gun forum.  Not looking for pity or advice, just sharing my experience so that anybody else who’s thinking about buying a Tisas 1911 sight unseen can be aware.

For those who want pictures, I’ll try and post them in the next few days
View Quote

You're right, you did put the ammo variety in your OP, my bad.

FWIW, I have 2, both are finicky with HST.  So, I use ball only.  They aren't my go-to, but tbh they're both good enough with ball that I'd be ok with them i  a pinch.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 1:15:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Sparky315] [#12]
If you can get some, try Winchester Ranger T. I found that it feeds well in a lot of finicky guns.  I get gold dot for free, so it’s always my preference that my guns feed it, but I do use the Ranger in a couple of guns.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 1:22:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Karankawa] [#13]
Not accepting hollow point ammo sounds 100% clone correct for a 1911.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 3:47:00 PM EDT
[#14]
I just tried the EGW higher shelf mag catch, hoping it would raise the mag enough to feed HP ammo.  No luck, same issue.  Feed ramp is just too shallow.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 6:45:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Not familiar with Tank Commander, but does it has traditional or integral ramp? Some Commander length guns with integral ramps won't feed reliably with standard recoil spring, and will feed just fine with reduced power spring due to the angle of the ramp.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 10:59:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By KK66:
Not familiar with Tank Commander, but does it has traditional or integral ramp? Some Commander length guns with integral ramps won't feed reliably with standard recoil spring, and will feed just fine with reduced power spring due to the angle of the ramp.
View Quote

The .45 version has a traditional ramp.  Or at least it's supposed to.  Tisas appears to be winging it with regard to feed ramp dimensions.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 11:46:51 AM EDT
[#17]
@Sparky315
I went through this with a Carry model in .45. Here is the link to the thread where I detailed my struggle. ;)
End of this thread as of 3/21
I took my time with this, had some time off for a medical procedure etc. You'll see mention of the slide stop. With it in place but with actual slide stop part hanging down the thing would NOT swing freely. I did replace it with a spare RIA part I had in the parts box and it looks good. I really need to wring it out. I suggest polishing the feed ramp and breech face as a first step.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 6:48:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By robmkivseries70:
@Sparky315
I went through this with a Carry model in .45. Here is the link to the thread where I detailed my struggle. ;)
End of this thread as of 3/21
I took my time with this, had some time off for a medical procedure etc. You'll see mention of the slide stop. With it in place but with actual slide stop part hanging down the thing would NOT swing freely. I did replace it with a spare RIA part I had in the parts box and it looks good. I really need to wring it out. I suggest polishing the feed ramp and breech face as a first step.
View Quote

Polishing isn't going to do anything.  I can polish the unmachined part of the frame that is supposed to be feed ramp all day, and it's not going to change a thing.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 12:24:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RiverSwine45] [#19]
Did you measure the feed ramp?

And exactly what mags have you tried?

I won't be able to get to the range till at least this weekend to try them out but I just hand cycled a full mag of gold dots from a colt 7rnd mag with GI feed lips through my tank commander and it was nice and smooth with no hang ups. I really have no concerns that it wouldn't function fine. I probably have 300 rounds of 200gr SWC through it using the checkmates it came with and colt 7rnd GI mags without issue.

Edit to add
My tank commander feed ramp is 32 degrees and 0.781". Picture with an 8rnd colt mag with wad cutters feed lips.
Attachment Attached File

My 1973 Colt series 70 feed ramp is 30 degrees and 0.781". Picture with an 8rnd colt mag with wad cutters feed lips.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 9:06:51 AM EDT
[#20]
I currently have my A1 Service loaded with JHP ammo. I hand cycled a mag through last night and it appeared to cycle fine. I don't know if I should switch to ball ammo just to be safe, though.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 5:06:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By TheLASwamp:
I currently have my A1 Service loaded with JHP ammo. I hand cycled a mag through last night and it appeared to cycle fine. I don't know if I should switch to ball ammo just to be safe, though.
View Quote

If I hadn't function checked an ammo type I wouldn't depend on it at all. My TC has only fired ball and SWC so far. I still haven't had a chance to get out and test the glod dots in it. My Glock 21 and it's spare mags are loaded with gold dots because I have already verified they function in that pistol.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 5:39:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Weird. I have the exact same Tisas and it feeds golden Sabres all day long.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: Yesterday 12:27:29 AM EDT
[#23]
Mine has been temperamental, but ammo sensitive it is not.
Some guts are going to get replaced and anything other than a range toy until I can reliably trust the trigger and main sear spring that is what it will remain.

But it ate Winchester silver tips, golden saber, gold dot and various mfg. ball ammo without a hiccup.  Really seemed to like the heavier stuff.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top