Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/13/2023 9:32:21 AM EDT
In another thread I mentioned that the barrel on my Champion has cracked the lower lug. Looking at the option of possibly replacing the barrel myself. I’ve half-assed fitted a lower lug myself on an already sloppy fit barrel but I’d like to do it properly this time around. So lay it on me. What’s the minimum tool set I need to do a quality barrel fit? Brownells lug cutter?

Link Posted: 8/20/2023 4:31:57 PM EDT
[#1]
You may have to fit the upper lugs and the barrel hood. Narrow files for the upper lugs. I used the same diamond files for the lower lugs. May also need to get a few different link lengths. I have wanted to get a lug cutter too. Loves me some tools!
Link Posted: 9/15/2023 11:29:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Barrel hood: dykem, a good flat file
Barrel foot: dykem, barrel lug cutter and the flat file
Barrel locking lugs: dykem, putty, thin flat file
Bull muzzle or bushing: dykem, fine sandpaper or lapping compound

There are some other tools you could get for barrel alignment, or even more if you convert from an unramped to ramped barrel.
Link Posted: 9/16/2023 10:46:50 AM EDT
[#3]
I looked at what it would take to acquire the proper tools plus a new barrel and opted to send it to springfield for the work.  Waiting to see what it’s like when it comes in. They’ve had it 2+ weeks now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top