Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/20/2023 11:44:36 AM EDT
I have a barely used mid 90s Springfield Armory M1911A1 that I was thinking of trading in on a Tisas US Army. I have no experience trading in a firearm on another firearm and I realize the answer will mostly be "it depends", but generally, is this something I could expect a fair deal on? I understand the gun store is in the business of making a profit, not helping me obtain a different M1911A1 because it's more like the one my grandfathers carried in WWII. Thanks, y'all.
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 12:19:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Why? I’d keep the Springfield all day.
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 12:27:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By BillyDBerger:
Why? I’d keep the Springfield all day.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/20/2023 12:38:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ScoutH57] [#3]
I'd keep that Springfield, that'd be a silly trade IMO.

Which "more like the one your grandpa carried" look are you after? You can change grips and stuff.
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 1:36:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Springfield is a much better handgun, no way would I do that trade.  Are they included any cash to make up the difference in value?
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 3:47:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the replies. I realize this trade idea doesn't make much sense from a practical standpoint. I have an M18 for my carry sidearm which takes care of the practical concerns. My Springfield straddles a line between GI spec and modern. In short, it's simply a matter of aesthetics -  which admittedly would be a stupid reason to trade if I was talking about something to carry on duty. The Tisas US Army model looks identical to an issue M1911A1, the Springfield doesn't.

Ideally, I'd love to be able to just keep it and also buy the Tisas but I can't really justify that at this point.

I should also point out that my Springfield was made in Brazil; not sure if that means anything or not.
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 3:52:37 PM EDT
[#6]
I have both. I like them both. Because my Springfield is a more expensive gun does not necessarily make it "better."

My Tisas has a forged frame and slide, as well as a hammer forged barrel. It's a great shooter. And it's a fairly accurate clone of a WWII M1911A1.

Having said that, a fair trade would be getting some boot on top of the Tisas.
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 3:53:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Never trade anything.  You'll mostly regret it later.  You're better off selling your plasma.
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 4:10:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JohnConnor] [#8]
I've sold and traded more guns than I own, by many times, and I say get rid of it. I regret getting rid of almost nothing. I'm not a collector though and guns are simply objects that either bring you joy, or don't.

Life is too short to hold onto things that don't do it for you.

That said, I'd get some money on the trade as well.
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 4:26:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By wes11b10:
Thanks for the replies. I realize this trade idea doesn't make much sense from a practical standpoint. I have an M18 for my carry sidearm which takes care of the practical concerns. My Springfield straddles a line between GI spec and modern. In short, it's simply a matter of aesthetics -  which admittedly would be a stupid reason to trade if I was talking about something to carry on duty. The Tisas US Army model looks identical to an issue M1911A1, the Springfield doesn't.

Ideally, I'd love to be able to just keep it and also buy the Tisas but I can't really justify that at this point.

I should also point out that my Springfield was made in Brazil; not sure if that means anything or not.
View Quote

It would be more convenient then to just trade it straight up to get what you want. Price on a used SA like your model isn't that far off from the new Tisas you want but I'd try and get them to throw in some extras for you atleast.

You will always make more selling it yourself, but if you don't want to deal with it there is nothing wrong with supporting your local business and getting what you want.

Link Posted: 1/29/2023 1:18:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Keep the SA. Nota fair trade
Buy the tisas …you can’t get a better one fir the price
Link Posted: 1/29/2023 1:39:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Isn't the Tisas slide and frame hardened before machining?
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 8:11:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LIONHART] [#12]
Originally Posted By spmx7777:
Springfield is a much better handgun, no way would I do that trade.  Are they included any cash to make up the difference in value?
View Quote

Oh the hell it is.

The NEW US Army by Tisas has all forged and steel billet parts with only the recoil spring plug being the exception . I just picked up my second one, along with two Tank Commander’s, and they too are all forged guns. These guns aren’t loaded with MIM junk like Springfield and others use. The OP wants a gun that resembles a WW2 model. It would be far cheaper just buying a Tisas, or trading his Springer in for one. The Tisas has the proper checkered trigger, short wide spur checkered hammer, checkered thumb safety, mainspring housing with lanyard loop, and in addition to the wood grips, they also ship with the WW2 style brown plastic checkered grips. I’ve owned a lot of Springfield 1911’s over the past thirty plus years, and the Tisas models, IMO, are hands down a better, more durable gun, and actually look the part of a mid war 1911.

To the OP. Make the trade. Whatever you lose will still be far cheaper than modding your current gun to resemble a GI 1911, and you’ll get the exact gun you want now without the hassle. There is no downside to this. None whatsoever.

ETA: keep in mind the Tisas uses standard firing pins unlike your Springfield, doesn’t have a two piece barrel, but a hammer forged barrel, and the front sight is GI spec, where the Springfield is proprietary. Make the trade. Let the Springfield be someone else’s problem or project.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 5:01:06 PM EDT
[#13]
You're not gaining anything and will likely take a bath of the trade.  Figure out what the dealer will sell it for and your trade will be roughly two thirds of that.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 6:48:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By LIONHART:

Oh the hell it is.

The NEW US Army by Tisas has all forged and steel billet parts with only the recoil spring plug being the exception . I just picked up my second one, along with two Tank Commander’s, and they too are all forged guns. These guns aren’t loaded with MIM junk like Springfield and others use. The OP wants a gun that resembles a WW2 model. It would be far cheaper just buying a Tisas, or trading his Springer in for one. The Tisas has the proper checkered trigger, short wide spur checkered hammer, checkered thumb safety, mainspring housing with lanyard loop, and in addition to the wood grips, they also ship with the WW2 style brown plastic checkered grips. I’ve owned a lot of Springfield 1911’s over the past thirty plus years, and the Tisas models, IMO, are hands down a better, more durable gun, and actually look the part of a mid war 1911.

To the OP. Make the trade. Whatever you lose will still be far cheaper than modding your current gun to resemble a GI 1911, and you’ll get the exact gun you want now without the hassle. There is no downside to this. None whatsoever.

ETA: keep in mind the Tisas uses standard firing pins unlike your Springfield, doesn’t have a two piece barrel, but a hammer forged barrel, and the front sight is GI spec, where the Springfield is proprietary. Make the trade. Let the Springfield be someone else’s problem or project.
View Quote

I agree 100% the Tisas 1911A1 is better than Springfield, and I have owned lots of Springfields. Value wise the Springfield will always have a higher resale value. At least until Tisas stops making 1911A1s so they begin to acquire value through rarity. But that is years down the road. Think SKS or WASR values compared to what they were years ago.
Link Posted: 7/7/2023 5:13:49 AM EDT
[#15]
I would kep the old Spring , but the Tisas are great guns for the money , I have the basic GI model and it has been great for the price been looking at another one for 399 , almost can`t pass it up .
Link Posted: 7/7/2023 11:58:07 AM EDT
[#16]
The Tisas is a better pistol.

Sell the SA, buy the Tisas and use the extra money for a holster or ammo.
Link Posted: 7/7/2023 12:19:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dmk0210] [#17]
I'd sell the Springfield outright and buy a Tisas online where you'll get a much better deal.

Take a look at Family Firearms:

(Phosphate finish) https://www.familyfirearms.com/product/1911-us-army-blk-wd-45acp-wwii

(Cerakote finish) https://www.familyfirearms.com/product/sds-1911a1-45acp-5-7rd-blk

Link Posted: 7/7/2023 12:30:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By panzersergeant:
I have both. I like them both. Because my Springfield is a more expensive gun does not necessarily make it "better."

My Tisas has a forged frame and slide, as well as a hammer forged barrel. It's a great shooter. And it's a fairly accurate clone of a WWII M1911A1.

View Quote

This. Have a couple Springfields and a newer Tisas. Tisas has far better fit and finish and is forged. That being said, the Springfield is worth more. Tisas is cheap enough o just buy without loosing anything on a trade so I’d vote to keep them both
Link Posted: 7/7/2023 12:43:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Curmudgeon762:

This. Have a couple Springfields and a newer Tisas. Tisas has far better fit and finish and is forged. That being said, the Springfield is worth more. Tisas is cheap enough o just buy without loosing anything on a trade so I’d vote to keep them both
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Curmudgeon762:
Originally Posted By panzersergeant:

Very similar assessment.  My Springfield is made in Brazil, and has had to be rebuilt at least once, along with numerous parts replacements.  My Tisas is tighter fitting, with better fit, and shoots better and more accurately.   I eventually sold off the Springfield and just run the Tisas.  It's the better gun.  Sorry to offend the All American (er.. Brazilian) Springfield fandom.  FWIW, I'm comparing a Springfield Loaded vs a TISAS Duty.  What sealed the deal was the undercut in the frame under the trigger guard, that makes the TISAS a more comfortable pistol to hold and shoot, and also is a memory-pad location to help assure the gun fits in the hand the same way more readily.   I really like that small feature a lot.  That doesn't apply to OP's assessment, but most everythign else does.  The reason I bought a TISAS was a friends TISAS Army edition was much better quality and outshot my Springfield Loaded - which pissed me off.

Link Posted: 7/13/2023 4:49:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Nothing to gain on the trade.  The Tisas doesn't do anything the Springfield already does at least as well.
Link Posted: 7/17/2023 9:26:37 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 11/2/2023 3:36:42 PM EDT
[#22]
I have a SA ronin that I put the lower on a mechtech upper. Bought a tisas stakeout and put the SA slide on it. The tisas lower wouldn’t feed in the mechtech.
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 12:56:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: CockySC99] [#23]
Gun Stores are typically going to rape you on a trade. If your that set on a Tisas US Army, then do what it takes to get the 1911 your set on. You'll be happier.

Just be prepared for the deal to be something like your  $500 Springfield +$200 for a $300 Tisas… at best.

The Tisas US Army’s WW2 1911s are very cool. When PSA gets them back in stock im trying to get one. Nothing but good reviews.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top