User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:56:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Marksman14] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DH243:

Of the ones I've worked on in the shop, all have had zero secondary angle on sear nose.  They are fairly decent surface finish, not arkansas hard stone polish but probably 4-600grit stone.  This has been on my c, tac 4.0, and 21p, a friend's 19p, 2 c2, p steel, p alum, and his lodus, another friends c2, p, and c, and 10 different shipped staccatos that were in for other things.  I'll give staccato a break on the take up tab, it's time consuming to adjust and set up.  Frame needs fully disassembled multiple times to get it just right, or hitting what a particular guy wants.
View Quote

You're far above my paygrade on that stuff, short of fitting triggers and tweaking sear springs, I haven't done *any* work on these.

Do you get a different feel on properly done triggers once they get dirty?  It makes sense that lubrication would help them feel better, but frankly it could just be hiding the creep.

Regarding test targets, thats odd.  I think all the ones I've had basically were touching, but I think they only test them at 10 or 15 to make sure there isnt a huge windage or elevation variance; I also don't know how they shoot their test targets, I doubt they're using a ransom rest.  I'll pull them out in a little bit and see, but I've never been concerned about what a test target showed.

Speer gold dot 124, which is what we use, has proven to be a laser out of these things, but we zero from a very sturdy rest when sighting in red dots.  I haven't tried or bothered with irons.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:08:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah they weren't terrible but it was probably 1" at distance.  Of the pistols I've had that came with test targets, wilson, gi, and nhc, they were all pretty tight cloverleaf.  They are 3 -5 shots and fired by human off sandbags, but I wonder if they just shoot 1 test target or shoot until they have a hum dinger?  I've only worked I've 1 prodigy and internal parts on ot aren't as refined or all forged like a staccato.  I did cut a marvel disco cut on the prodigy and it made it smooth as butter.  It's unbelievable how smooth a 1911 feels with the disco cut.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:12:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Basically yes, the secondary angle decreases the amount of surface area that the sear contacts hammer hooks.  It gives the trigger an icicle break vs raw carrot break.  It's pretty subjective and it does not make a poor shooter great, but it optimizes 1911 trigger without adding any compromises or reliability issues.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:42:03 PM EDT
[#4]
The trigger on my 21 P is stock and breaks cleanly at 4.5 lbs. From 0 to 5200 rounds, it has been a good trigger. Take up is .040".

I have done a Harrison TR sear, Red Dirt trigger, and sear spring tweak on my 19 P. It has a very crisp, clean 3.75 lb break. Take up is .040" and very smooth. The take up and overtravel are very easy to adjust on the Red Dirt trigger.

As for test targets...

19 P

Attachment Attached File

21 P

Attachment Attached File

I've owned 5 C2's and they were good guns, but I'm a steel frame guy.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 4:08:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Yeah, I'd been happy with those targets.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:23:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By triburst1:
I now find myself obsessed with finding a double stack 9mm 1911 with the fit and feel of my Wilsons. I’ve been intrigued by the SFX9 for a while but have never seen one in person.
View Quote

If you want Wilson quality, BUY A WILSON SFX9.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:02:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By lilMAC25:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
I now find myself obsessed with finding a double stack 9mm 1911 with the fit and feel of my Wilsons. I’ve been intrigued by the SFX9 for a while but have never seen one in person.

They are great pistols. A lot of the Staccatos are the same price or more than I paid for this last year. Especially if you consider that the Wilson mags are $40

If I were buying one today, I would buy the SFT. When I ordered mine, the SFT was not available with a light rail.

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 10:18:33 PM EDT
[#8]
I had a P and C2 and while they shot awesome they just did not feel comfortable in my hands.  They felt too big and bulky.  I sold them both and bought a Wilson Combat SFT9.  Fits my hands much better.  It's my carry gun these days.  Mine is the basic model with no optic mount and no light rail.  I'm fixing to order me one with the rail and optic mount.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:29:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Missilegeek:

They are great pistols. A lot of the Staccatos are the same price or more than I paid for this last year. Especially if you consider that the Wilson mags are $40

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/576591/IMG_5494__1_-3041790.jpg

If I were buying one today, I would buy the SFT. When I ordered mine, the SFT was not available with a light rail.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Missilegeek:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/576591/IMG_5494__1_-3041790.jpg

I’m not sure of all their models, I’m just saying, if you want Wilson Quality, buy a Wilson!
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 1:11:01 AM EDT
[#10]
I’ve been wanting to check one out for a while and finally got the chance yesterday. It was an aluminum framed P model with threaded barrel. I really wanted to love it enough to but one for myself but I just didn’t. It felt good in the hand and shot well enough but the controls left a lot to be desired. The grip safety required quite a bit of pressure, the safety was gritty yet spongey at the same time and the trigger wasn’t nearly what I expected from a $2800 pistol.

I’m primarily a Glock guy and I’m not super picky about little nuances, but I guess I just expected more. It felt much closer to a RIA than my Wilsons.

Maybe I should check out an EDC9 instead?
View Quote

Welcome to world of being unimpressed by guns that are touted on this forum.  I’ve made that mistake multiple times
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 8:42:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Marksman14:

It’s a gun that with proper initial cleaning and lube will run 2k rounds without issue, have a great basis for a 3-4.5 lbs trigger, and hold 1-1.25” groups at 25 yards with duty ammo.

They built a duty 2011 with quality parts, and did a damn good job at it.

They didn’t do a good job marketing it as something it isn’t.  They did a great job marketing it as what it is.  Whether or not what it is happens to be is what you want…well, can’t help you there.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Marksman14:
Originally Posted By Millennial:
For years and years, STI made entry level 2011 that (usually) required tuning and tinkering to work 100%

They ironed out the reliability issues with the guns and magazines, threw some cosmetic cool-guy machining on the slide, and rebranded themselves to get away from STI's past, but at the end of the day, a Staccato 2011 is just lightly improved reliable STI 2011 ... meaning entry-to-mid tier 1911.  Just because they charge $2k+ does not mean they will be as refined as $2k+ 1911's.  It is what it is.

If you want custom/semicustom tier feel and refinement in your 2011, you better be looking to spend ~$4k+
Brazos
Cheely
Nighthawk
Alchemy
Limcat
SVI

It’s a gun that with proper initial cleaning and lube will run 2k rounds without issue, have a great basis for a 3-4.5 lbs trigger, and hold 1-1.25” groups at 25 yards with duty ammo.

They built a duty 2011 with quality parts, and did a damn good job at it.

They didn’t do a good job marketing it as something it isn’t.  They did a great job marketing it as what it is.  Whether or not what it is happens to be is what you want…well, can’t help you there.

This. Thats exactly what Staccato is and they’ve done a great job at it.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:21:29 AM EDT
[#12]
You must not be alone, OP…it seems like every time I look on the EE, there is another barely used Staccato listed.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 1:50:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By PAESAN:
You must not be alone, OP it seems like every time I look on the EE, there is another barely used Staccato listed.
View Quote
Or Walther...
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 2:10:41 PM EDT
[#14]
I’ve shot Staccatos and much prefer my Platypus.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 5:41:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Keep an eye on those Wilson frame rails.

Cracked frame rail
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 7:49:43 PM EDT
[#16]
I want a 4.25 steel framed platypus...
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 5:16:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Has anyone done a C2 with a P grip?
That would be my ideal Staccato.  If they made that, I might keep one.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 8:33:41 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Chowser:
Has anyone done a C2 with a P grip?
That would be my ideal Staccato.  If they made that, I might keep one.
View Quote
They offer a grip swap service so perhaps they would put a P grip on a special order C2.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 8:41:13 AM EDT
[#19]
I've never shot a stock one. Buddy has a few tuned up and they are really nice race guns.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:47:52 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Bradd_D:

Cracked frame rail
View Quote

Be an interesting back story I bet on that, but 1 isolated pic on the web doesn't sway me.  I've also saw pictures of busted staccatos online that are 1 off deals.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 11:49:44 AM EDT
[#21]

Be an interesting back story I bet on that, but 1 isolated pic on the web doesn't sway me.  I've also saw pictures of busted staccatos online that are 1 off deals.
View Quote
And make sure you get the right extractor
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 12:08:20 PM EDT
[#22]
The rental I tried was fantastic. I’m an ok shooter and it makes me look great. 25 yards, rapid fire. First time I pulled the trigger and I went through the mag as fast as I had a good sight picture. Open sights.

I can shoot tighter groups if I slow down or use a dot but I was pretending like my life depended on it. Really want one.

Link Posted: 5/6/2024 1:01:31 PM EDT
[#23]
I had a Staccato XL. I put 7,000 rds through it in 6 months. The gun was beating itself up. The hammer was wiggling and the safety was constantly coming loose.
I traded it in and got an Atlas Athena. I put another 7,000 rds through it in 6 months. The gun looked and felt brand new. As far as reliability I had no issues with either the staccato or the atlas. The staccato with the Gen 2 grip model was not my favorite and I was disappointed with how fast the gun started loosening up.

I ended up selling it because of how expensive it was. My LE department is switching to Sig 320's and I have to carry one per policy (M17X). Our M17X's are black.
I bought an FDE M17X and have put 2,000 rds through it in 2 months. My split times from my 2011's to my Sig are very similar.

Shooting a Staccato P side by side a Wilson EDC X9 --- the Wilson out shoots Staccato all day everyday not even close. My shooting buddy runs an EDCX9L and has over 10k rds in it in the last year.
If you shoot and train often with purpose, any platform will be good.

I shot and carried glocks for over 10 years. I work part time on my off days at a gun store and we are direct dealers with Staccato, Wilson, Atlas, Nighthawk, etc etc. I get to see these guns come in all the time and demo them.
I have recently tried out a friends platapus. I will say, like someone mentioned above, the Stealth Arms Platapus is by far the absolute best pistol on the market for the money. The owner of Stealth Arms came into our shop and he is a super awesome dude. If I were still shooting glocks and into the glock eco system I would no doubt be picking up a platapus and running that and being satisfied.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 1:03:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JohnMH92] [#24]

View All Quotes

Cracked frame rail

yea this is an isolated incident. The EDC X9 series is a phenomenal platform. The mags are very reliable and cheaper. Knowing mulitiple WC shooters, they make a great firearm. I've seen glocks, staccatos, sigs 320, 226's, M9's, Nighthawks, etc all break.

EDIT forgot to add, the biggest let down with WC is their lead times. They just came out with a EDC X9 2.0 which is very underwhelming as they call it a 2.0 but only changed the grip module a little bit. Their lead times for us to order as a top 10 dealer is still like 12 months out.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 1:09:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By JohnMH92:

yea this is an isolated incident. The EDC X9 series is a phenomenal platform. The mags are very reliable and cheaper. Knowing mulitiple WC shooters, they make a great firearm. I've seen glocks, staccatos, sigs 320, 226's, M9's, Nighthawks, etc all break.

EDIT forgot to add, the biggest let down with WC is their lead times. They just came out with a EDC X9 2.0 which is very underwhelming as they call it a 2.0 but only changed the grip module a little bit. Their lead times for us to order as a top 10 dealer is still like 12 months out.
View Quote
I actually think the 2.0 grip is a downgrade. Now the grip is just going to be square.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 1:21:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By JohnMH92:
I had a Staccato XL. I put 7,000 rds through it in 6 months. The gun was beating itself up. The hammer was wiggling and the safety was constantly coming loose.
I traded it in and got an Atlas Athena. I put another 7,000 rds through it in 6 months. The gun looked and felt brand new. As far as reliability I had no issues with either the staccato or the atlas. The staccato with the Gen 2 grip model was not my favorite and I was disappointed with how fast the gun started loosening up.

I ended up selling it because of how expensive it was. My LE department is switching to Sig 320's and I have to carry one per policy (M17X). Our M17X's are black.
I bought an FDE M17X and have put 2,000 rds through it in 2 months. My split times from my 2011's to my Sig are very similar.

Shooting a Staccato P side by side a Wilson EDC X9 --- the Wilson out shoots Staccato all day everyday not even close. My shooting buddy runs an EDCX9L and has over 10k rds in it in the last year.
If you shoot and train often with purpose, any platform will be good.

I shot and carried glocks for over 10 years. I work part time on my off days at a gun store and we are direct dealers with Staccato, Wilson, Atlas, Nighthawk, etc etc. I get to see these guns come in all the time and demo them.
I have recently tried out a friends platapus. I will say, like someone mentioned above, the Stealth Arms Platapus is by far the absolute best pistol on the market for the money. The owner of Stealth Arms came into our shop and he is a super awesome dude. If I were still shooting glocks and into the glock eco system I would no doubt be picking up a platapus and running that and being satisfied.
View Quote
I've owned several Staccatos (C2's and P's) and I've not had an issue with any of them beating themselves up after thousands of rounds. My most recent purchase is a 4.4 P that I've shot 5200 rounds through since the end of January. It's still as good as the day I bought it new. Tight and accurate with a good trigger.

I've owned a WC EDC X9. It was a nice gun, but I never got used to that tiny grip and the glued and screwed front sight was a put off.  I still own my Staccatos.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 5:15:54 PM EDT
[#27]
I actually think the 2.0 grip is a downgrade. Now the grip is just going to be square.
View Quote

Yea same. The interchangeable modules they had on the 1.0 were pretty good. Medium fit my hand perfectly and the large fits my friend who owns the gun great.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 6:02:47 PM EDT
[#28]
And make sure you get the right extractor
View Quote

Gotta get the right extractor for any 1911.  70s vs 80s, 9 vs 45 vs 10mm
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 6:06:28 PM EDT
[#29]
I've owned several Staccatos (C2's and P's) and I've not had an issue with any of them beating themselves up after thousands of rounds. My most recent purchase is a 4.4 P that I've shot 5200 rounds through since the end of January. It's still as good as the day I bought it new. Tight and accurate with a good trigger.

I've owned a WC EDC X9. It was a nice gun, but I never got used to that tiny grip and the glued and screwed front sight was a put off.  I still own my Staccatos.
View Quote

You mean the front sight that is affixed like a glock, I don't see that as a minus.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top