Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/23/2024 2:00:22 AM EDT
Are there any upgrades for the Heritage Rough Rider like any upgraded internal parts such as trigger/hammer/springs/bolt literally anything I can do to upgrade it?
I love this little pea shooter but lately it's been jamming a lot and I have to remove the cylinder in order to get it to function again.
The cylinder gets stuck and won't rotate, the cylinder will either be in the original position or it will get stuck at half cocked and just won't budge. But I can still remove the cylinder and simply putting it back it has it work correctly for a little bit.

This is the only issue I've had with it and it's happened about 5 times within 200 rounds today. Before today it had happened 4 other times throughout various range days.

Any clue on how to fix this. What the issue is, and my original question are there any upgrade parts out there?
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 9:21:38 AM EDT
[#1]
No future in trying to make aa silk purse from a sow's ear.  The Rough Rider borders on junk status when new.  Save yourmoney and buy a real revolver; Ruger Single Six as an example.  It is cheaper in the long run.
Link Posted: Yesterday 10:27:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Invest a little more and get a Wrangler or better yet, a Super Wrangler. All the performance and upgrade availability of the Single-Six at a much lower price.

Picked up my Super Wrangler last week and could not be more pleased with the quality for the price point. It shoots everything, is accurate, and no malfunctions through just over 400 rounds.

I have upgraded the springs with offerings from Wolff, and installed a set of Williams fiber optic sights. Bullseyes @ 25 yards are expected on every shot, now.

Even though I am quite frugal, a set of engraved rosewood grips are on order from Altamont. A nice shooting gun, deserves to look nice.

I looked at the Rough Rider but saw almost exclusively bad reviews. One guy said it took $300 in gunsmithing to make his function as it should. Barrel had loosened on his, among other things.

It is sad to see what they market as firearms.
Link Posted: Yesterday 1:15:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Yep, the best upgrade for a Rough Rider is to sell it and upgrade to a Super Wrangler if you're on a budget or Super Six if you've got money to burn. Alternatively, I would suggest an EAA Bounty Hunter.
Link Posted: Yesterday 2:58:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Interestingly I've been watching a bunch of videos on these things and most shooters are reporting better accuracy out of them than the regular Wranglers (can't speak to the Super Wrangler's accuracy since they don't offer what I'm looking for).   I would like one of the bird's head Wranglers but with convertible cylinders* and Ruger doesn't offer that and by almost every account I've seen on youtube and the Ruger forums, accuracy is subpar.  I do not want a Super Wrangler with a 5.5" barrel, plow handle grip or adjustable sights which pretty much only leaves the 3" Rough Rider.  I just can't get past how cheap they feel but if I come across one on sale for a bit over $100 I'll probably grab it.  If they offered it in the nine shot it'd be a better deal but they no longer offer the parts to convert the six shot models.  

*There have been a couple of people who have reamed the cylinder to .22WMR specs.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top